Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,733

0 members and 2,733 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Crowley progression thread

I am finally starting a progression thread for Crowley. First I'd like to mention he was born on July 15th 2013 and will turn 6 years old next month. I adopted him on August 22nd, he was 39 days old and weighed 123 grams when i picked him up. My mom had a pet store and invited me to come with her to see her local snake breeder as she knew snakes were my favorite animal. He had only 1 baby normal ball python left to sell from the current clutch, i had him in my hand and he was just so adorable, even my mom found him cute and she wasn't too fond of snakes back then. She told me I was allowed to adopt him if I wanted him. I was 22 at the time and was completely able to care for him myself and pay for anything he needed. I just couldn't say no to such a cute little baby ball python and I adopted him. This was a spontaneous purchase which I usually never do without research but I asked the breeder many questions and decided that I could take care of my new little baby.

Since my mother had a store (which was in the house) I could literally just go downstairs and buy anything I needed for him. He started off in a 10 gallon tank but quickly moved up to a 40 gallon once he was settled in. I know most people advise against upping the tank size too soon but Crowley did fine and was eating well shortly after I got him. My mother already had the 40 gallon tank set up as a display for the store and she gave me that at a great discount for Crowley. I did tons of research about ball pythons the day I got him and learned everything I needed to take care of him. He had a cool side with a hide at around 80 degrees and a warm side with a hide at 90 degrees, I got him a fogger (which he still loves today) to keep his humidity at 55% or 70% while shedding. His setup got upgraded over time and I now use a thermostat to make sure his hot side doesn't get too hot and to keep his humidity perfect. He also had a water bowl and a volcanic rock to rub on for shedding. The spoiled little guy also had vines and branches to climb too. He was such a clumsy little noodle when he was a baby, he'd wake me up at night (he lived in my bedroom, I still lived at home back then) making noise from his butt falling off his branches, I'd get up thinking he got hurt but was always fine as he could only really fall 1 foot.

Here are some baby pictures of Crowley:
    First is a picture the breeder took and is the youngest picture I have of Crowley, I unblurred it as much as I could with photoshop but it's still blurry.

Next is a picture of Crowley in a cichlid rock, I learned to regret giving him a hide that has a bottom as once he shed and pooped/peed in there and wouldn't come out, I had to gently break the rock to get him out.

Next is a picture of Crowley with the tongue sticking out, hanging out on the couch with a blanket on it

Here it shows the full length of the little guy on the same couch and blanket

Next is a baby picture of Crowley balled up, I edited out the background and made it clearer with photoshop

I will post in sections as there is a lot to say about Crowley for the almost 6 years that I haven't started this thread for till now. This post is all about his time as a baby.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bodie (06-21-2019),Bogertophis (06-20-2019),calislytherin (06-30-2019),fadingdaylight (07-01-2019),Luvyna (06-20-2019),squidwardtortellini (06-20-2019)

Thanks
    Here is Crowley after he was a baby but before his adulthood, I guess you can say snake teens. So we has around 1 to 3 years old in these pictures. Now what can I say about these years? Well he became more social as I handled him more and more. He started to love massages, no worries I never squeeze him, I let him choose how hard he wants the massage by just offering my hand and he tightens himself to tell you to massage him and I'd pet his muscles. He'd even have his tail start waggling if he really liked it. At this time I had moved out with my boyfriend and liked in a basement apartment. He had a bed and a 2"x2" table to do "missions" on at that time. Of course he never stayed on the table and I was constantly having to grab him but that was just how his missions were back then. He got a little gym made of rope and java perches which I now call his little Crowleyland.

Here are some pictures of him around 1-3 years old.
    I call this one, Crowley taking a selfie, as it looks like the tail is holding the camera as if he took his own picture

Next is just a cute picture of Crowley with the tongue out

Next is Crowley asking to come out after feeding him, this is what I call "smushing"

My first picture of Crowley yawning

A cute picture of Crowley in his cave

A picture showing Crowley's beauty

This next picture was on new years, I forget what year but we were at my parents place and when we came back home late he was in his branches. He was waiting for us to take him out all that time.

I took him out pretty much daily back then for about an hour at a time, continuing to get him tamer and even better around humans.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bodie (06-21-2019),Bogertophis (06-20-2019),calislytherin (06-30-2019),fadingdaylight (07-01-2019),Luvyna (06-20-2019),squidwardtortellini (06-20-2019)

Thanks
    Now comes Crowley's young adulthood. Our basement apartment flooded and Crowley got to live with grandma (my mother) for a little bit till we found a new place. I went to visit as much as possible but cried every time I had to leave my little Crowley at my parents place. Luckily that was only for about a month till we found a new apartment. I can tell Crowley was happy to be out of that dank basement and into an upstairs apartment. At this place he has a bed to do missions on and our first Christmas there my parents got him a bigger java branch which I now call his medium Crowleyland along with with old little Crowleyland too, he later got a tent to go in too. All this stuff to do on the bed and he'd still climb down and try to go in the computer. I always told him as I picked him back up "we don't go in computers".

Here are some pictures of Crowley from about 3-5 years old.

Crowley coming for the camera

Crowley on his medium Crowleyland

Crowley looking out the window, he couldn't do that at our basement apartment

My first successful attempt at a panoramic shot, Crowley got so long he needs a panoramic shot just to capture the whole snake

At this time he used to get lots of missions daily, other than after feeding and during shed of course. He'd get about 2 hours a day usually in 1 hour sessions.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (07-01-2019),Luvyna (06-20-2019),squidwardtortellini (06-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    It's always nice to see such a well-loved & well-cared-for snake enjoying his surroundings. You've done great by him, & if he had the right facial muscles, I'm
    pretty sure he'd be grinning in most of these photos... I like his "normal" BP coloration too, he is a very lucky snake to have such a devoted owner.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (06-20-2019)

Thanks
    Next is the most recent and we are now moved into our very own house! Crowley now has his own room to do missions in and got an old bird gym from what was my mom's macaw but is now mine since 2 months ago. We re-purposed the bird gym into something fitting for a snake and it is now called his big Crowleyland. So in that room he has so much stuff, he got a new bigger tank for himself when we moved (thanks again to my parents for buying and setting up his new tank, I think it's 60 gallons). Now his old tank is in his room with a cave in it, he has the small, medium and large Crowleylands, he has a scratching post and a tent and also another hide box. He's got so much stuff in his room for him he never gets bored. I can now also take him outside without having to worry about other tenants (we have an actual yard now). This is Crowley in his adulthood at over 4 years old to almost 6.

Here are some pictures of Crowley at the house.
    I have this one in a huge poster frame, he is at the top of his big Crowleyland

here is Crowley in his new tank in his bamboo

Here is Crowley with his new plushy friend which I named Plush Crowley

Here is a nice zoom in on Crowley's head, he has a little scar on his head from trying to go in the closet and getting his head stuck in it. We fixed this by adding one of those bug guard things at the bottom, a trim or what ever they are called, this has worked and he can no longer stick his head in the closet. this was the one mistake I made as I didn't fully snake proof his room. He can now safely do missions in his room and no longer get in trouble. There are still a few places he shouldn't go so I supervise him the whole time he is in his room.

Here is Crowley enjoying his medium Crowleyland and his scratching post

Another cute picture with the tongue

And here is the comfy snake in his tent

Now that he has his own room where he pretty much can't be bad he gets an average of 3 hours of missions a day and absolutely loves it. He can roam around his room all he want while I use the laptop that's in there, of course I check to see where Crowley is every 2 minutes. After he's done doing missions in his room and goes to either his cave or tent, I let him hang out there for a bit then I take his cave to the couch and hang out with him there. At this point the snake is as tame as can be, he is a lot less head shy, still enjoys the occasional massages and just loves being with his humans.

I recently got a camera that lets me upload the videos I take to YouTube (my phone's videos did not upload to YouTube for some reason) so i now have videos of Crowley doing missions in his room.

Here is one of them, hopefully the link works:

Here is my channel, it has videos of Crowley and mostly videos of my macaw, Jacob:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmI...tsZMycy5_84FFg

I think that's all the updates I have about Crowley for now.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-20-2019),fadingdaylight (07-01-2019),Luvyna (10-02-2019),squidwardtortellini (06-20-2019)

Thanks
    That red ring on the rope appears (from here) that it might have enough room for him to get his head stuck in it? Might want to remove that? But otherwise
    he clearly benefits from all this exercise...he's relaxed, curious, doesn't appear stressed, & I'm sure has better muscle tone than most other BPs lying around
    all the time in their tubs. What a cute & personable BP & you've got some good creative ideas for things he can safely climb on. It's obvious that he
    knows his way around too...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (06-20-2019)

Thanks
    Love the video footage, and Crowley sure was a cutie as a baby! I'm not sure if you've already been asked this before, but out of curiosity, is he named after the Good Omens character? One of my all-time favorite books (though I have not yet watched the new TV series).
    Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")
    2022 Albino Super Lesser - Cyrus ("Cy")

Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")
    2019 Sharp Blizzard - Elysium ("Elys")

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (06-20-2019)

Thanks

Re: Crowley progression thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
    Love the video footage, and Crowley sure was a cutie as a baby! I'm not sure if you've already been asked this before, but out of curiosity, is he named after the Good Omens character? One of my all-time favorite books (though I have not yet watched the new TV series).
    He is named after the Crowley from Supernatural, I also just liked that name because snakes crowl (crawl) around.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-20-2019),pretends2bnormal (06-21-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That red ring on the rope appears (from here) that it might have enough room for him to get his head stuck in it? Might want to remove that? But otherwise
    he clearly benefits from all this exercise...he's relaxed, curious, doesn't appear stressed, & I'm sure has better muscle tone than most other BPs lying around
    all the time in their tubs. What a cute & personable BP & you've got some good creative ideas for things he can safely climb on. It's obvious that he
    knows his way around too...
    Nah there is no way he'd ever fit his head in that, thanks for the concern on keeping my baby safe though. Crowley is such a spoiled little guy and I'm sure all that exercise is what got him to grow to 4'4" as I heard that is big for a male ball python, he also weighs 4 pounds.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    He is named after the Crowley from Supernatural, I also just liked that name because snakes crowl (crawl) around.
    Here I thought you were a Downton Abbey fan...? (as in the Crawley family)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (06-24-2019)

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast