Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,402

3 members and 3,399 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    I’d love to know what a winter fast is and why ur snake started in the summer??

I call it like like it is and I feel this is a thread that will remind u of lol the crazy stuff u put this snake through when it’s all over
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

cincy (11-05-2019),Craiga 01453 (11-04-2019),Sonny1318 (11-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    I don't think that last post is going to be viewed very positively.

It comes across as really bad anthropomorphism, and you say you have these "methods," when you're really not experienced enough to have methods.

Just being honest. Hopefully, your snake is really doing better.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

cincy (11-05-2019),Craiga 01453 (11-04-2019),Sonny1318 (11-05-2019)

Thanks

Re: Crowley progression thread

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    So aside from the hides and the bird, nothing seems to have changed. The snake isn't eating, yet you continue to have him out for hours a day on these "missions" you've made up.
    You claim to love him so much, but you refuse to take advice that will help the animal thrive. He's surviving, not thriving.
    The way you keep that snake is selfish and in no way shows you love him. Love means sacrificing and doing what's best for the person/pet you love. Until you sacrifice your own needs to believe your snake is something he's not your snake (reminder, he's a SNAKE) will never thrive...because YOU CHOOSE to steal that from him.

You've been given tons of great advice, yet you pick and choose what to listen to...you refuse to accept anything that doesn't benefit YOU. And who suffers? Yup, Crowley who you "love" so much.

For your snakes sake, you really need to listen, otherwise the poor animal will never get the life he deserves.

Look, we're here to help. Taking time out of our days because we care. Please understand it's not about you, it's about the animal. And until YOU change, your animal will never thrive. We want to help you get there. Please, for your snake, start listening.
    There is no help for those that feel they are doing everything right. After all I’ve never had a single issue with my snakes or the countless other members here due to neglect, but hey I don’t have a friend that works at petco telling me I’m doing perfectly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    I don't think that last post is going to be viewed very positively.

It comes across as really bad anthropomorphism, and you say you have these "methods," when you're really not experienced enough to have methods.

Just being honest. Hopefully, your snake is really doing better.
    It hasn’t eaten in months but as she said he is in a winter fast. Is Canada’s winter opposite of the United States?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

wnateg (11-03-2019)

Thanks
    He started his fast when I got a new AC unit and accidentally got it too cold one day, that was a huge mistake on my part and I feel bad for it. It gets cold in late August to early September here. You are obviously trying to get me going, I've mentioned this before. Please keep this thread positive.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-03-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    He started his fast when I got a new AC unit and accidentally got it too cold one day, that was a huge mistake on my part and I feel bad for it. It gets cold in late August to early September here. You are obviously trying to get me going, I've mentioned this before. Please keep this thread positive.
    Why do u not address the issues u have? Plz have a conversation about this and really try to listen. A lot of the stuff u do is ok, but to have him out immediately after such a scary incident for hours a day when he still hasn’t eaten is not ok! Plz have an intelligent conversation about what ur doing and why u think everyone here is wrong and your right

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-04-2019),Sonny1318 (11-05-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I just want to point out, if your snake is truly in a winter fast, the behavior thar usually accompanies the fast: lack of activity, sleeps more, etc... They are not happening for Crowley. Based on your post, it seems like he is still very active and going on 'missions.' In the wild during the active seasons, it would not be so active either. It prefers to stay hidden and hunt its prey by waiting and ambush. When it does move, it is because it has to, either for water, to seek a mate or find a better hide/hunting location. No matter how 'special' an animal is (including humans), our instincts engraved deeply into our DNA dictates a lot of our natural behavior. So if he truly was fasting due to the colder season, like my boa and my bp, he would not want to roam and prefers to stay in a comfortable spot and sleep.

No one is trying to be mean to you. What you are saying have too many holes and makes no sense.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-04-2019),jmcrook (11-04-2019),Sonny1318 (11-05-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    First off, we are keeping the post positive. Nothing is an an attack on you. We're trying to help you and Crowley. But until you understand that there are facts at play here that greatly outweigh your limited experience with one animal.

Simply stating that your snake would feel depressed is literally, by definition, anthropomorphism. You're applying human emotion to an animal incapable of feeling that human emotion. We're trying to help you understand this so that Crowley can thrive the way he deserves.

And honestly, one day of cold wouldn't trigger a fast that lasts months. He's not eating because he's not thriving. Leave the poor snake alone, in his enclosure, until he's eating again. Yes, BPs are known for winter fasts. This I NOT what Crowley I going through. It's not winter!!!!

Please understand we're trying to help you. You even said this is the only place you share because you've gotten so much negative response to your keeping technique. Now you're hearing it here too, from experienced keepers. When are you going to accept that we're not ALL wrong??? At some point you have to realize we're ALL saying because it's true. And we want to help.

Please accept that Crowley is a snake. Please accept that what you're doing is not helping him thrive. There's a very big difference between thriving and surviving. Please understand we care, that's why we take the time to try to help. Please understand this isn't an attack on you, we don't even know you. What we do know is how you choose to care for your animal. And we're not trying to attack how you keep him, we're trying to help you improve how you keep him.

I hope, for Crowley's sake, you start to put his needs before your own. Please be open to constructive criticism and know it's nothing more than that. We truly want the best for you and Crowley.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Cheesenugget (11-04-2019),jmcrook (11-04-2019),Moose84 (11-04-2019),Sonny1318 (11-05-2019),wnateg (11-04-2019)

Thanks
    Crowley has always still done missions during his fasts, he has the energy and doesn't lose weight. Some of these messages are clearly meant to just get me going (not from you Craiga 01453). like saying "In before lock" is clearly just to piss me off. It is indeed winter here where I live in Canada, there is lots of snow on the ground. This isn't the only place I talk to people including experts and I've been told what I do isn't wrong, sure it is different but those with an open mind can see I am doing right by my snake. I didn't immediately just start taking him out after the move, even though he was riding the glass asking, I waited at least a week. He had 30 minutes out the first day so he can check out his surroundings and not be overwhelmed. He's been sleeping great since the move, he used to get up early because of the bird. I feel terrible that I didn't notice this as a sign but at the time I'd let them see each other and they didn't seem to mind. It was when the parrot went in his crazy breeding mode that got Crowley scared or over the edge.

I can't use every single piece of advice given to me as some contradict others. I talk to pros who have kept snakes in tubs and also larger enclosures that have a variety of experiences, they have addressed what I can improve on and I did. I don't get all my advice solely from the forum alone. I don't see how Crowley being stuck in a tank asking to come out is better than just letting him roam around for a couple hours in his room. He shows no signs of stress at all doing so. I never said I think anyone is wrong here, in fact I don't think anyone is wrong, just may not be right for Crowley as he isn't just a tub snake. He was raised letting him do missions a lot and to change that would probably make things worse. That I find worse a fate than any to have so much and lose it all. If you live in a small confined space your whole life, you will be used to that and going out where there are a lot of things would be stressful of course. Crowley has been able to come out almost daily his whole life and was let to roam around, to confine him after 6 years of being able to come out would be cruel.

Thanks

I'm going to attempt to try a different form of response to try and help you understand what you are doing...

Imagine you are with your parents whom have complete control over you and are responsible for your care, well being and quality of life. The ONLY emotion you have is to protect yourself that's it. You have a "safe place" in your room where it stays dark and you are terrified of big open areas and get REALLY stressed out when someone who is 20 times your size comes and takes you from your "safe space."

Every single day you are removed from that safe space and put into an environment where you are not comfortable and you search countless hours for another safe space that you can't find. You are then picked up, stressed out and put back into your safe space.. You are now on high alert of this happening again because you have no control of it. You are stressed to the max constantly.. Every time your parents try to feed you, you won't eat because you feel sick, stressed out and scared. Then imagine repeating that day after day after day after day. This is what that snake is feeling and the reason he won't eat and has "spazz out" moments like that.

We are truly trying to help you in this thread as others have said. You have also come to us in complete breakdown mode when the snake does something out of the usual BECAUSE of the environment and care you provide it.

I think this forum is a great place and is filled with good, knowledgeable people but they also are smart enough to understand that coddling you as an owner is only harming the animal. You are going to do what you are going to do regardless of what we say it seams so the next time you are panicked and scared when the snake exhibits a behavior you aren't used to and haven't experienced you need to realize that fear and panic you feel is what you are putting that snake through every day.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-17-2019),Craiga 01453 (11-04-2019),jmcrook (11-04-2019),Sonny1318 (11-05-2019),vivi (04-28-2020)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast