Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,782

2 members and 2,780 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Feeding help needed BADLY

Also I thought I’d add that this threads tone seems a tad rude. Don’t take these things personally as everyone makes mistakes. I’m pretty confident that your snake will be fine if you take the advice mentioned. Please do not panic or stress out too much as the fixes you have to make are not super difficult. Everything will be fine if you fix your husbandry and just leave the snake be. Please keep us up to date on your animals progress and we’ll try to help you along the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (06-29-2019),Timelugia (07-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    Great advice! I actually missed that the tank was 4’ tall. That seems insane to me and makes me wonder if your measurements are correct...
    FYI, if you'd been reading all the OP's posts, you'd also know that her native language is French, so for all we know she may well live in France, or at least NOT the U.S.-
    & the pet store she went to may sell very different things than we are used to seeing "on this side of the pond". Caging designed perhaps for arboreal species...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (06-29-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    FYI, if you'd been reading all the OP's posts, you'd also know that her native language is French, so for all we know she may well live in France, or at least NOT the U.S.-
    & the pet store she went to may sell very different things than we are used to seeing "on this side of the pond". Caging designed perhaps for arboreal species...
    France isn’t Mars I’m sure they’re made but seems really weird to have a 65 gallon that tall. I doubt it’s for aboreal species as much as it’s designed for fish. The reason I brought up the measurement thing is maybe he/she isn’t used to our system. Maybe they incorrectly converted metric units So yes, I did read the posts which is why I pointed this out. It’s never good to assume.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    so for all we know she may well live in France, or at least NOT the U.S.-
    There are no petsmart in France , but there are French people in the US, like myself among others
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Any luck on getting him to eat? Here’s a link that might help, came up in my recommendations a while ago.
    https://youtu.be/ly5w25kT-hM

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    You might of just got a mean snake, sometimes that happens. I would suggest keeping his handling to a minimum until he starts eating normally or chills out. I would honestly suggest cleaning your room really well too and washing your hands and drying them every time before you handle him. It’s quite possible your BP smells a rabbit on you or constantly smells it in your room. Having another animals sent around could stress it out. The MOST important thing you can do is not stress, you should look into anxiety medicine if your anxiety is that bad, mine is and I’m medicated for it that’s why I’m suggesting that to you. BP are weird eaters but they can go a whole hell of a lot of time without food. The first time my ball python went on hunger strike the internet was not around like this and it scared me but everything turned around, he did not touch food for 6 months and he was still a juvenile. I literally did nothing different other than just leave him alone a little more then he started eating like normal. Just be hopeful and I’m sure it will for you to. LASTLY I would highly highly suggest against taking your snake anywhere and force feeding it unless a experienced vet who handles exotic animals tells you so. Also if your snake ends up staying that tempered you could always go to Pet-Co and see about their return policy and try your chances with another ball python.

EDIT: your anxiety and stress could be sensed by the snake in turn stressing it out further (who knows) I’m just assuming so try to stay calm when your around it. At least if it benefits anyone it would still benefit you.

I have a rabbit who lives in the same room as my ball python and 2 other snakes. My dogs sleep in the bedroom at night with the bunny. One of my cats love to lounge around the room for a few hours each day.

None of the animals scent caused any behavioral issues with any of my snakes.

They acted no differently than the ones outside of the bedroom. They still hunger for food when it is feeding day, and hangs out just fine when it is not feeding day. I don't wash my hands after grooming my bunny and then handle my snakes. Bunnies, at least to our noses, have no smell. They should not smell at all. Mice or rats smell. Secondly, I'm sure snakes know the difference in smell between a bunny and a mouse. I know that they can tell which is a rat or mouse when I offer both to my woma who eats both but reacts hesitantly toward the rat and strikes within seconds for the mouse.

I agree downsizing your enclosure may help. I am not sure what is available around your area but tubs or plastic containers are usually more affordable than glass tanks. Drill some holes and you are good to go.

Lastly, I have anxiety too myself. Some days are worse than others but nowhere near the scope where it is interfering with my day to day life, but it creeps close that edge. So I get it, many of us do. I felt the same way when mine did not eat either. Picky eaters require a lot of patience on the owners part. If it has become too much for you, I would not hold it against you to take your snake back to the store and get an easier snake to work with (ie cornsnakes), but you should still have some time to remedy this situation. I assure you that your snake will eat when all things go right for him. It is on his terms, and you have to help him get there. Do what you can with what you have.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (07-03-2019)

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    I have a rabbit who lives in the same room as my ball python and 2 other snakes. My dogs sleep in the bedroom at night with the bunny. One of my cats love to lounge around the room for a few hours each day.

None of the animals scent caused any behavioral issues with any of my snakes.

They acted no differently than the ones outside of the bedroom. They still hunger for food when it is feeding day, and hangs out just fine when it is not feeding day. I don't wash my hands after grooming my bunny and then handle my snakes. Bunnies, at least to our noses, have no smell. They should not smell at all. Mice or rats smell. Secondly, I'm sure snakes know the difference in smell between a bunny and a mouse. I know that they can tell which is a rat or mouse when I offer both to my woma who eats both but reacts hesitantly toward the rat and strikes within seconds for the mouse.

I agree downsizing your enclosure may help. I am not sure what is available around your area but tubs or plastic containers are usually more affordable than glass tanks. Drill some holes and you are good to go.

Lastly, I have anxiety too myself. Some days are worse than others but nowhere near the scope where it is interfering with my day to day life, but it creeps close that edge. So I get it, many of us do. I felt the same way when mine did not eat either. Picky eaters require a lot of patience on the owners part. If it has become too much for you, I would not hold it against you to take your snake back to the store and get an easier snake to work with (ie cornsnakes), but you should still have some time to remedy this situation. I assure you that your snake will eat when all things go right for him. It is on his terms, and you have to help him get there. Do what you can with what you have.
    My buddy used to have a red tail boa that would hit the glass every time his dog came by, do your ball pythons pay any attention to the other animals around?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    My buddy used to have a red tail boa that would hit the glass every time his dog came by, do your ball pythons pay any attention to the other animals around?

Nope. Not at all. Inside and outside his tub. Next to my other pets or not. Same goes for my food frenzy king, Children's python and woma. My CP sometimes strikes the glass when I approached him and he gets way too excited thinking food is coming. But my cats sometimes would sleep on top of his tank (mesh lid) and he would not react with any strikes, just hanging out and waiting for food.

The boa could be striking out of fear, out of excitement thinking food is coming (not because the dog is the food item), etc.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 07-03-2019 at 12:16 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    My snakes share a room with my ferrets. They've never shown any interest in each other at all. They all eat well and none ever strike the glass (well, except my Borneo and King when they know it's feeding time).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    Nope. Not at all. Inside and outside his tub. Next to my other pets or not. Same goes for my food frenzy king, Children's python and woma. My CP sometimes strikes the glass when I approached him and he gets way too excited thinking food is coming. But my cats sometimes would sleep on top of his tank (mesh lid) and he would not react with any strikes, just hanging out and waiting for food.

The boa could be striking out of fear, out of excitement thinking food is coming (not because the dog is the food item), etc.
    I did not think of that, I think his snake was huge, he was over 5 feet for sure and thick. He was kind of mean so I never wanted anything to do with him. The dog was really small, less than 10 pounds so who knows what it was. Every single time he saw that dog he was hitting the glass lol

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast