Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,225

4 members and 3,221 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Re: Feeding help needed BADLY

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran_songs View Post
    ...as for the size of the enclosure it's 65 gallons and is 4 foot tall with branches but is not to cluttered..t.
    I truly wish you had read up (here, on this site) well BEFORE you bought this cage & this snake. A large tank is difficult enough, but one this TALL for a terrestrial
    species (as ball pythons are) is all wrong...it makes it very hard to keep it warm enough or humid enough, nor is it easy to make it cluttered enough for a BP to feel
    like it is "safe" & hidden. (This tank would be great for an arboreal species, or something like a rat snake, that loves to climb...but it's not healthy for a BP, sorry!)

I don't see where you answered my question as to the size of this BP? (length, age if known?) So that is why I haven't suggested a better size tank or enclosure yet,
    but IF you are determined to keep this snake healthy (eating!) I'd suggest that you set up a proper sized tank (or whatever) immediately...since it will take a while
    for this snake to de-stress enough to eat for you. Not only was force-feeding this BP a bad idea, but taking it to the feed store & handling it first, or even trying to
    feed it in a separate tub at home as I think you tried previously, was almost a guarantee that it would NOT feed on it's own. Handling a snake like this first just destroys
    it's confidence & thoughts of food...all it can think of is fear & self-defense. For a BP to want to eat, it needs to feel like it has the "upper hand" over the prey...right now,
    he's feeling like HE IS the prey. Do you understand?

So unless you plan to obtain another snake that will do well in this large & tall tank, the best thing you can do is to prepare the proper cage for this snake now, & you
    can probably sell this tank to someone working with a species that it's appropriate for. I cannot imagine a BP in a 4 foot tall cage...it's just an awful idea- a mistake.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-29-2019)

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Feeding help needed BADLY

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran_songs View Post
    As for the force feeding I won't take him anymore I was stressed and I had no where to go so I went to the feed store and that's what she suggested we do after a couple of hours of trying I did not know it was really bad for them I am really sorry. Edit: He was also always trying to strike before force feeding though as well.
    You might of just got a mean snake, sometimes that happens. I would suggest keeping his handling to a minimum until he starts eating normally or chills out. I would honestly suggest cleaning your room really well too and washing your hands and drying them every time before you handle him. It’s quite possible your BP smells a rabbit on you or constantly smells it in your room. Having another animals sent around could stress it out. The MOST important thing you can do is not stress, you should look into anxiety medicine if your anxiety is that bad, mine is and I’m medicated for it that’s why I’m suggesting that to you. BP are weird eaters but they can go a whole hell of a lot of time without food. The first time my ball python went on hunger strike the internet was not around like this and it scared me but everything turned around, he did not touch food for 6 months and he was still a juvenile. I literally did nothing different other than just leave him alone a little more then he started eating like normal. Just be hopeful and I’m sure it will for you to. LASTLY I would highly highly suggest against taking your snake anywhere and force feeding it unless a experienced vet who handles exotic animals tells you so. Also if your snake ends up staying that tempered you could always go to Pet-Co and see about their return policy and try your chances with another ball python.

EDIT: your anxiety and stress could be sensed by the snake in turn stressing it out further (who knows) I’m just assuming so try to stay calm when your around it. At least if it benefits anyone it would still benefit you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NewmanLovesSnakes; 06-29-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    True, just saying you don’t necessarily need a small tank IF you know what you’re doing. It may be easiest for the OP to use a tub setup at first. It’s easy to maintain temps/humidity and the opaque sides help comfort the snake. To me it seems like a lot of the stress is coming from the owner messing with the snake too much. I’m confident that if left alone for awhile he’ll eat. Although the temps do need to be taken care of.

Even "IF you know what you're doing" some animals respond differently than others.

When starting to go through the troubleshooting process in this situation the enclosure size is a glaring mistake. Trying to maintain temps in a 4 foot tall enclosure will be a nightmare, especially for a new keeper.

There's a reason plenty of people who "know what they're doing" suggest starting juveniles in smaller enclosures...because it works the vast majority of the time.
    Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. But simply "knowing what you're doing" doesn't mean that will work for every animal.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (06-29-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (06-29-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    The MOST important thing you can do is not stress, you should look into anxiety medicine if your anxiety is that bad, mine is and I’m medicated for it that’s why I’m suggesting that to you.....

LASTLY I would highly highly suggest against taking your snake anywhere and force feeding it unless a experienced vet who handles exotic animals tells you so.

A) suggesting to what appears to be a teenager that they should look into being medicated really isn't cool. Don't you think OP has doctors? And how can you say to somebody you don't know from a hole in the wall that they should look into mental health medication????
    NOT COOL!!!!

I also take meds and am in the process of being treated for bipolar depression. So believe me, I understand mental health and how real it is. But suggesting that on a public forum without knowing anything about OP really is NOT COOL.

B) Any vet who knows what they're talking about regarding herps will never tell you to transport an animal that knows how to eat in order to force feed it.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-29-2019),MissterDog (06-29-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (06-29-2019),Timelugia (07-03-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    A) suggesting to what appears to be a teenager that they should look into being medicated really isn't cool. Don't you think OP has doctors? And how can you say to somebody you don't know from a hole in the wall that they should look into mental health medication????
    NOT COOL!!!!

I also take meds and am in the process of being treated for bipolar depression. So believe me, I understand mental health and how real it is. But suggesting that on a public forum without knowing anything about OP really is NOT COOL.

B) Any vet who knows what they're talking about regarding herps will never tell you to transport an animal that knows how to eat in order to force feed it.
    Yeah that’s your opinion and your entitled to it, we cant just assume this persons age either. If you have a mental condition then you understand the kind of hell that can bring someone. I have anxiety, depression and PTSD. I literally have to talk myself off the edge a few times a month and that’s with medication. Regardless of how you feel it’s not a bad thing to suggest someone to get on medication to attempt to improve their quality of life. Arguing with you about that is definitely off topic of treating a ball python, since I did not in fact point that advise to you so lets not open that can of worms.

Thanks

Yeah that’s your opinion and your entitled to it, we cant just assume this persons age either. If you have a mental condition then you understand the kind of hell that can bring someone. I have anxiety, depression and PTSD. I literally have to talk myself off the edge a few times a month and that’s with medication. Regardless of how you feel it’s not a bad thing to suggest someone to see a Dr or get on medication to attempt to improve their quality of life. Arguing with you about that is definitely off topic of treating a ball python, since I did not in fact point that advise to you so lets not open that can of worms.

Banned
    Thanks

Yeah that’s your opinion and your entitled to it, we cant just assume this persons age either. If you have a mental condition then you understand the kind of hell that can bring someone. I have anxiety, depression and PTSD. I literally have to talk myself off the edge a few times a month and that’s with medication. Regardless of how you feel it’s not a bad thing to suggest someone to get on medication to attempt to improve their quality of life. Arguing with you about that is definitely off topic of treating a ball python, since I did not in fact point that advise to you so lets not open that can of worms.

Maybe you feel comfortable discussing your private medical history on a public forum. But that is YOUR decision about YOUR health.

Talking about mental health is still extremely difficult for some people and a public forum is not the place to suggest it, especially since nobody asked for an opinion on mental health or medication.

I'm not going to argue with you, but show other people enough respect to not bring their health into a conversation that didn't ask for it.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-29-2019),MissterDog (06-29-2019),Timelugia (07-03-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Maybe you feel comfortable discussing your private medical history on a public forum. But that is YOUR decision about YOUR health.

Talking about mental health is still extremely difficult for some people and a public forum is not the place to suggest it, especially since nobody asked for an opinion on mental health or medication.

I'm not going to argue with you, but show other people enough respect to not bring their health into a conversation that didn't ask for it.
    The OP stated several times that he is stressed, his anxiety is bad, he’s crying and freaking out. I’m only trying to help. You should show enough respect and mind your business if you are not PARTICULARLY addressed, are you the OP? No your not, if he takes offense I’ll gladly apologize, I know what it’s like to feel how the OP does. You can keep scrolling if you don’t like what I said. I’ve known many people who have just straight killed them self’s because no one could suggest them any care. You are upset because you have a different opinion than mine and I’m sure not going to cater my advise to others so it will suit your liking. If I offended you personally that was not my intentions and I am sorry but none of that advise was meant for you.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A reminder this is not a medical board, stay on topic please - Thank you.
    Deborah Stewart

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-29-2019),Craiga 01453 (06-29-2019),MarkL1561 (06-29-2019),MissterDog (06-29-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (06-29-2019),pretends2bnormal (06-29-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I truly wish you had read up (here, on this site) well BEFORE you bought this cage & this snake. A large tank is difficult enough, but one this TALL for a terrestrial
    species (as ball pythons are) is all wrong...it makes it very hard to keep it warm enough or humid enough, nor is it easy to make it cluttered enough for a BP to feel
    like it is "safe" & hidden. (This tank would be great for an arboreal species, or something like a rat snake, that loves to climb...but it's not healthy for a BP, sorry!)

I don't see where you answered my question as to the size of this BP? (length, age if known?) So that is why I haven't suggested a better size tank or enclosure yet,
    but IF you are determined to keep this snake healthy (eating!) I'd suggest that you set up a proper sized tank (or whatever) immediately...since it will take a while
    for this snake to de-stress enough to eat for you. Not only was force-feeding this BP a bad idea, but taking it to the feed store & handling it first, or even trying to
    feed it in a separate tub at home as I think you tried previously, was almost a guarantee that it would NOT feed on it's own. Handling a snake like this first just destroys
    it's confidence & thoughts of food...all it can think of is fear & self-defense. For a BP to want to eat, it needs to feel like it has the "upper hand" over the prey...right now,
    he's feeling like HE IS the prey. Do you understand?

So unless you plan to obtain another snake that will do well in this large & tall tank, the best thing you can do is to prepare the proper cage for this snake now, & you
    can probably sell this tank to someone working with a species that it's appropriate for. I cannot imagine a BP in a 4 foot tall cage...it's just an awful idea- a mistake.
    Great advice! I actually missed that the tank was 4’ tall. That seems insane to me and makes me wonder if your measurements are correct. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a glass tank with the dimensions you listed. I’d go to wallmart and grab a ziplock locking bin around 24” x 12” should be ok. If you need to maintain humidity drill the holes on the side not the top. Then get an uth with a thermostat. Once temps are good leave the snake alone for a week before offering food. After that do not handle until he eats 3+ times. So basically you will not be touching your snake for a month or more.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast