Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,897

2 members and 2,895 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Feeding help needed BADLY

I about 6 months ago got a normal ball python from Petsmart (I know a really bad place to buy pets but I didn't know that at that time). It had been my dream ever since I was very small to have a snake of my own and for my birthday, 6 months ago my mother finally agreed. I used all of my birthday money plus savings to buy everything I needed plus the snake. At first he was really defensive but I could still hold him ( I gave him about a month to settle in ) and he was eating fine but then slowly he started skipping weeks. When he skipped weeks I could no longer touch him so he got more defensive and now today it has been about a month and a half since he last ate I have tried everything he will not let me touch him at all to move him into a box to feed and he just sits in his hide all day. You can see the tip of his spine now and I am so worried I have panic attacks and end up crying I am stressing so much I have no idea what to do. I did about three months of research before I got him but everything all the sites told me has not worked since. At first everyone told me a ball python was the best beginner snake but now when I ask they say that I should not have gotten a ball python so I am so confused. If I can't get him to eat within the next 3 weeks I am going to get rid of him to someone who can get him to eat I can't even sleep it feels like I'm starving child I am so stressed and have no idea what to do. His enclosure has everything two hides vines space heating pad everything I can offer A snake and more. I feed him frozen medium mice (When he eats) a friend of mine has suggested trying live mice but he has eaten frozen thawed all his life so I am confused as to why he suddenly wants live if this is the case. I heat the mice up with A blow dryer and everything you are supposed to do I don't know what to do I feel so bad and he is probably starving too. Any help is appreciated even the smallest tips I just need something honestly any idea's I will attempt ( As long as the snake is not at risk ) to get him to eat. At first we thought he was a female but now I am pretty sure it's male though not positive. I have posted here before to ask for help and the very nice people here gave me tips that made him eat but now nothing works.

English is not native to me I am sorry for grammar and I am just overall terrible at punctuation sorry about that.
    Last edited by Ciaran_songs; 06-20-2019 at 01:39 AM.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Feeding help needed BADLY

I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with your snake.

I realize that you saved up your money and bought the snake---the equipment needed to properly care for a ball python can be a lot more expensive than the snake itself. Describe your setup and heat sources so we can eliminate that as a potential cause.

Ball Pythons won't eat well unless they are comfortable. Handling a ball python (at all) that is a problem eater is also a bad idea as it also stresses them out. Once the snake is firmly set on a steady routine is the best time to handle them.

Also, since the snake is from one of the Pet store chains...there is a small chance it has internal parasites or a defect that you have not spotted. This would require a trip to the Vet....like I said though-I think it is more likely the setup than a medical issue...
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-20-2019),Craiga 01453 (06-20-2019),dr del (06-21-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran_songs View Post
    I about 6 months ago got a normal ball python from Petsmart (I know a really bad place to buy pets but I didn't know that at that time). It had been my dream ever since I was very small to have a snake of my own and for my birthday, 6 months ago my mother finally agreed. I used all of my birthday money plus savings to buy everything I needed plus the snake. At first he was really defensive but I could still hold him ( I gave him about a month to settle in ) and he was eating fine but then slowly he started skipping weeks. When he skipped weeks I could no longer touch him so he got more defensive and now today it has been about a month and a half since he last ate I have tried everything he will not let me touch him at all to move him into a box to feed and he just sits in his hide all day. You can see the tip of his spine now and I am so worried I have panic attacks and end up crying I am stressing so much I have no idea what to do. I did about three months of research before I got him but everything all the sites told me has not worked since. At first everyone told me a ball python was the best beginner snake but now when I ask they say that I should not have gotten a ball python so I am so confused. If I can't get him to eat within the next 3 weeks I am going to get rid of him to someone who can get him to eat I can't even sleep it feels like I'm starving child I am so stressed and have no idea what to do. His enclosure has everything two hides vines space heating pad everything I can offer A snake and more. I feed him frozen medium mice (When he eats) a friend of mine has suggested trying live mice but he has eaten frozen thawed all his life so I am confused as to why he suddenly wants live if this is the case. I heat the mice up with A blow dryer and everything you are supposed to do I don't know what to do I feel so bad and he is probably starving too. Any help is appreciated even the smallest tips I just need something honestly any idea's I will attempt ( As long as the snake is not at risk ) to get him to eat. At first we thought he was a female but now I am pretty sure it's male though not positive. I have posted here before to ask for help and the very nice people here gave me tips that made him eat but now nothing works.

English is not native to me I am sorry for grammar and I am just overall terrible at punctuation sorry about that.
    Please provide temps on hot spot, cool side, size of enclosure, what type, is there a thermostat, and preferably a picture of your set up and snake without touching him or disturbing him. Even if you previously done so, do it again as it appears something did not go right husbandry wise. Also, any new changes around the environment, like more foot traffic from people passing by, etc.

I was one of those people who was also sold by the idea that ball pythons are beginners species. While some agree with that, I don't after getting mine, having the same feeding trouble as well as finding out how many 'please help snake won't eat' threads there are in numerous forums. It is okay though; ball pythons are tough little critters so mistakes can be forgiven as long as they are corrected. Don't beat yourself over it. Challenges in life, as you will find as you grow older yourself, are there to help you grow.

Sent from my LGL57BL using Tapatalk

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-20-2019),dr del (06-21-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (06-29-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    First off, take a deep breath... We'll help you and your snake through this.

It would definitely help to know more about your setup...
    - what type and size enclosure?
    - how are you heating the enclosure? ARE YOUR HEAT SOURCES REGULATED BY A THERMOSTAT??
    - what are your temps? He are you measuring temps?

The more you tell us, the better we can help you.

I'm only asking about the setup to confirm all is good there, but there's one MAJOR thing you're doing wrong...

FEED YOUR SNAKE INSIDE HIS/HER ENCLOSURE!!

Feeding tubs are old school and proven counter productive over time. There is literally ZERO benefit to using a separate feeding tub. In fact, the feeding tub is almost DEFINITELY your feeding problem.

Feeding tubs:
    A) increase the chance of the snake refusing food. Moving the snake = stress. Stress = refusal.
    B) increase the chance of the snake regurgitating it's meal. Again, moving = stress. Stress = regurge.
    C) increase your chances of getting bit. Snakes remain in feed mode after eating and can be very defensive. Defensive + feed mode = you getting tagged.

Honestly, I'm willing to bet this is the problem, but knowing more about your setup is just as important.

Think of it this way...
    BPs are ambush predators who spend most of their lives hidden. They feel most comfortable eating when they are protected and don't feel vulnerable. Sooooo, moving the snake OUT of it's comfort zone makes absolutely no sense at all.

Feed at night, while the snake is in its hide. Don't move the hide, leave the snake alone. Letting the mouse defrost in the room where the snake is should allow him to smell the prey and "get ready to strike". You may even see his nose poking out of his hide.
    Then heat the prey item and dangle it in front of the hide, but not too close to scare the snake.

Good luck, keep asking all the questions you need to. We're happy to help you and your snake.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Amszzz (11-21-2019),Bogertophis (06-20-2019),dr del (06-21-2019),MissterDog (06-20-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (06-29-2019),sur3fir3 (06-20-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran_songs View Post

I'm so sorry to hear that you're not enjoying your snake. You've come to the right place, there are members in this group with years of experience who will give you excellent information and support. I just wanted to comment on the live versus f/t aspect. 18 months ago I purchased a young snake that had been fed f/t. When I brought her home, she had 3 meals for me and all was well. Then she quit eating. Temps, humidity, was spot on, she had two hides and was in a small bin. Every week I offered her an appropriately sized f/t rat, which is what she'd been eating for the breeder, and every week she refused. I was feeling exactly the way you are and getting desperate. Finally, after about 7 weeks, ready to try anything, I offered her live prey. She took it immediately and has never looked back. I don't know why she'd suddenly refuse f/t, and would MUCH prefer she didn't eat live, but I DO know, she's never missed a meal since, not even when she's in shed. It might be worth it, if nothing else, than to reduce your stress levels, to try her on live. You could ask the pet store if you can return it if she doesn't eat it. Just sharing my experience as I know exactly how you feel. Best of luck.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to B.P.'s 4me For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-20-2019),dr del (06-21-2019),sur3fir3 (06-20-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Listen to Craig. he is a great guy who will help you figure this out.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-20-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I wouldn't switch to live just yet. I think you've got a handful of options to exhaust before trying live.

If feeding in the enclosure and zeroing in on husbandry don't do the trick live might be the next step. But until you've exhausted all other options I wouldn't offer live prey yet.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-20-2019),dr del (06-21-2019),MissterDog (06-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

I can sure understand your frustration...I wish that everyone (stores, books, etc) would stop saying that "ball pythons are great beginner snakes", as they are rather
    complicated. They have this great reputation because they stay a nice size (not too big), they are pretty, & mostly, because they are docile. But sadly, there is a LOT
    more to it than that...they can be very picky eaters, & as adults (especially) they often decide to fast for a while (making their owners nervous & having to waste food).
    They also need higher temperatures & humidity than many other snakes, & may stress out when handled, or if their housing isn't just right (so they feel "secure").

When you care so much about a pet, it's impossible not to stress out when it doesn't go as planned, but giving us more info about his cage/temps. would help, & as Craig
    suggested, only offer him food when he's in his "home"...preferably at night...preferably only when he's in his hide & peeking out of it, not when he's cruising the cage.

BPs are ambush-predators, so they like to pounce on prey that seems to be cluelessly passing by them, not too active or coming toward them boldly, and never feed a
    snake in a separate container, since the handling you do can easily disrupt their feeding instincts. This is because the only thing that picks up a snake in the wild is normally
    a predator that's going to eat them...so when you pick up your BP to move him into a tub, he's now fearful instead of focused on hunger. I have a hunch that part of the
    reason he's not eating is that you've been handling him more than he feels comfortable with. All snakes are basically wild animals (even though captive-bred), meaning
    they rely on their instincts. Many snakes tolerate handling better than BPs do without going off food, but because BPs are so docile, it's easy to think they are enjoying
    your company more than they really are. Snakes (& especially ball pythons) require a slightly different definition of "pet": because they are instinctive creatures, it is US
    that has to adapt to their needs first, not the other way around (like with domestic animals). If you can do that, you'll succeed, at least better than you have been.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-20-2019),dr del (06-21-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (06-29-2019),squidwardtortellini (06-20-2019)

Thanks

Post Re: Feeding help needed BADLY

I have not been able to reply for that I am sorry, I have gotten him to eat now the only problem is getting him to eat next time. His tempts on his basking side is at around 90 Fahrenheit at all times sometimes it may drop below that, though that's only when it's cold in my house but I always make sure it's not to cold. His ambient temperature is around 80. These are all temp's that I have been told he should be on if they are wrong please let me know thanks. he has a heating pad under his log and in his other hide there is nothing so that he can choose between heating bad and no heating pad. I have tried feeding him when in his hide he does not take it. The only reason I got him to eat was because I took him to my local feed store in a shoe box crying and there was a lady who helped me for 2 hours try to feed him in the end she ended up force feeding him which I felt bad about. I will have to take him back next time to try again. He has water constantly in a big enough bowl that he can lay in which I take out and scrub every 2-3 days he has distilled water for drinking water. He tries to puke up his mouse constantly it has now been 24 hours since he ate and is still trying to puke it up. Every time I walk by his enclosure he strikes at the glass I am pretty sure he has hurt his jaw now. All he does is try to strike at me even when I am far away. Lately I haven't been able to even open the enclosure anymore without him trying to go for my face. I have tried everything he won't calm down I broke down in tears a couple days ago my mother said that I have 5 months to get him to be tame otherwise she wants him out. There's nothing I can do since I live with her I have tried but she won't let it go she is worried he will get loose and hurt our other animals or me. even though I have clips on his cage lid, as for the size of the enclosure it's 65 gallons and is 4 foot tall with branches but is not to cluttered. I have tried feeding him in a shoe box as well as his enclosure to no avail. All he does is sit in striking position all day I am worried for his health if you need anything further let me know I want him to be happy I am hopeful that I can do it.

Thanks

I forgot to mention that a couple months back I had a rabbit I was taking care of in the room but I have removed all traces and he was doing it a bit before this to just wondering that may have helped the not eating situation.
    Last edited by Ciaran_songs; 06-28-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast