Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,395

2 members and 1,393 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Plans to upgrade my BP's enclosure. What do you think?

Hey guys!

I am going to be upgrading my BP's enclosure. I wanted to get some feedback on what my plans are.
    Some background on my BP: He is 3 years old and 854 grams. He sheds about every 6 weeks.
    Current enclosure:
    • 24'x18'x18 Glass Exoterra with screen top
    • Heating: UTH and CHE

Here is what I would like to upgrade to:
    • 36'x24'x12' Animal Plastics T3
    • Heating: Pro Products Radiant Heat Panel PH2 50 watt panel (I called Bob and this is the size he recommended.)

A few questions:
    • Would the AP T3 be something large enough I could keep him in for life or should I go bigger/smaller?
    • What are some humidity maintaining methods you guys use for your PVC enclosure? I have heard everything from mixing cypress mulch with water to just having a big water dish in there is enough.
    • Do you need a UTH along with a RHP or is the RHP alone sufficient for heat?
    • Do you think the upgrade would be worth it in the long run? I have heard great things about AP and Pro Products, especially the benefits of RHPs. He is doing well in his current enclosure but I feel like I could give him better with the new products. Just wanted to do some research to see what you all think.

Thank you!
    1.0 Normal ball python (Buddy)
    0.1 Colombian boa (Tina)

Thanks

Re: Plans to upgrade my BP's enclosure. What do you think?

I’m in the same boat as you (2.5 year old BP around 650grams in a 24 x 12 x 12 pvc with 2 UTHs).
    I just ordered an Animal Plastics T10 a couple weeks ago with a Pro Products RHP. I can’t remember the watts but I want to say it’s around 80 watts (maybe higher). I got this size mainly because it will line up with my existing T10 which houses my BOA. I would think a T3 would be fine for a male BP but I’m sure others can weigh in. As for humidity, these enclosures are great for maintaining adequate levels. I use Reptichip and a large bowl which does the trick. In the winter time, I’ll mist a little bit if I see the levels get too low.
    The RHP should be sufficient but some people go with a UTH as well just for peace of mind. I’m only using an RHP.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

kath_ (06-18-2019)

Thanks

Re: Plans to upgrade my BP's enclosure. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    I’m in the same boat as you (2.5 year old BP around 650grams in a 24 x 12 x 12 pvc with 2 UTHs).
    I just ordered an Animal Plastics T10 a couple weeks ago with a Pro Products RHP. I can’t remember the watts but I want to say it’s around 80 watts (maybe higher). I got this size mainly because it will line up with my existing T10 which houses my BOA. I would think a T3 would be fine for a male BP but I’m sure others can weigh in. As for humidity, these enclosures are great for maintaining adequate levels. I use Reptichip and a large bowl which does the trick. In the winter time, I’ll mist a little bit if I see the levels get too low.
    The RHP should be sufficient but some people go with a UTH as well just for peace of mind. I’m only using an RHP.
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm excited to switch to RHP as they seem really efficient and beneficial.
    1.0 Normal ball python (Buddy)
    0.1 Colombian boa (Tina)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While the exoterra might work it really depends at what size your male will max out, and there is no telling and you are also looking at another 30 years.

Additionally you will be a lot happier with a PVC cage than a glass tank for a BP
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Reinz (06-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

I had my snakes in plain o’ fish tanks. When I upgraded one of them to the big Exo Terra, I loved it so much better! At that point in time I was not aware of PVC cages. When I found out and got a few, the positive difference was soooo much more than my love of the ET tank.

The thing that really hurt was, the ET cost me $229, while I could have had an AP T-10 or T8 for less than $200!

Do yourself a favor and just get a T8 or T10. You will not regret it.

Two T10s
    Last edited by Reinz; 06-18-2019 at 05:14 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (06-20-2019)

Thanks
    I order myself a T-8 at end of May and hoping to get soon. Like you I went with pro products RHP and I was recommended a 65watt one. Mine will be in a finished basement and although finished concrete isn’t the best with holding temp so I was also recommended to get a thing of foil insulation to put under the T-8. From what I read these cages are amazing and I’m so excited to get mine in.

Reinz I like the wood you put in your cages, where did you get and how do you have them staying up?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EWC88 View Post
    I order myself ................
    Reinz I like the wood you put in your cages, where did you get and how do you have them staying up?
    The top pole came from Lowe’s. It was an 8 foot stake from the fence/garden department that I cut.

The bottom one is from a Crate Myrtle tree from my yard.

The brackets can be found at Home Depot in the cabinet hardware section.

^^^^^The big ones on the left were larger than needed, but would still work.

Now if you want to use closet poles, these pole holders can be found most anywhere. But most closet poles are pine, so a stain, paint, or sealant is a good precaution. vvvvvvvvvvv

Last edited by Reinz; 06-20-2019 at 04:53 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.