Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,611

1 members and 2,610 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Has anybody used Benson & Sons Snake oil & reptile rub?

After having a mite scare today only to find out they were only springtails, I bought a lot of different things from reptiles shops around me. One thing I found I ended up buying but I’m not sure if I’ll get any use out of it. It’s nature zone Benson & sons snake oil and reptile rub. It says it naturally helps skin problems from cuts, scrapes, bites, and mites. All natural and no toxic ingredients.

The ingredients are as listed:
    Grapeseed oil, coconut oil, tea tree oil, wheat germ oil, jojoba oil, grapefruit seed extract.

Anything harmful? I’m hoping I’ll never have an issue where I’ll have to use something like this, but I was in a panic basically buying everything with the word mite on the label lol
    Last edited by Shadowy; 06-17-2019 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Doesn't sound like it's intended to kill mites, only to sooth the skin from bites, & I'm not sure that snake skin responds well to oils of any kind, though I know
    for sure you don't want to use an oil that's petroleum based (like Vaseline), as it somehow makes their scales "de-laminate".

The ingredients may be "all natural" but they are normally never applied to snakes, so I don't know. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on my own skin, but not sure
    whether I'd put on a snake...let us know if you do? When I first saw "snake oil" I must admit I thought the worst... (image from the Old West with a covered
    wagon full of "snake oil"- made from snakes- & the con-man pitching for sales...)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Has anybody used Benson & Sons Snake oil & reptile rub?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Doesn't sound like it's intended to kill mites, only to sooth the skin from bites, & I'm not sure that snake skin responds well to oils of any kind, though I know
    for sure you don't want to use an oil that's petroleum based (like Vaseline), as it somehow makes their scales "de-laminate".

The ingredients may be "all natural" but they are normally never applied to snakes, so I don't know. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on my own skin, but not sure
    whether I'd put on a snake...let us know if you do?
    I’ll for sure update this thread if I use it. I asked someone who owns reptiles and she said she’s used it on a minor rat bite before with no issues. She said it’s mostly to prevent itching from the healing process so they don’t try to rub against stuff. I’d worry they’d get in the water dish and drink it. Like you said “all natural” doesn’t mean it should be ingested or put on an animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    When I first saw "snake oil" I must admit I thought the worst... (image from the Old West with a covered
    wagon full of "snake oil"- made from snakes- & the con-man pitching for sales...)
    Me too! It’s poor marketing that they call their product that! I actually skimmed over the ingredients in the store to make sure there wasn’t anything actually made from snakes in it.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    The over-used marketing ploy "all natural" usually makes me want to run the other direction. It has very little meaning in reality: for example, arsenic can also be
    considered "all natural" as google explains below, yet you wouldn't want to rub it on you or your pets. "All natural" tries to imply safety but it's no guarantee. You
    could even consider that carbon monoxide is "all natural", lol. Breathe deep?

"Arsenic is a natural element that can be found in rocks and soil, water, air, and in plants and animals. People can also be exposed to arsenic in the environment from some agricultural and industrial sources.May 1, 2019"
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oil is a great way to have scales loosen up and does nothing for mite eggs.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-18-2019)