Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,335

2 members and 2,333 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Our first shed

Thanks

Our first shed

After finally getting him to eat after 5 weeks, he decided to stay in his hide for over a week. I checked on him a couple of times but try not to bother him too much. I just assumed he was digesting his first big meal since it was his first rat. Tonight, I checked on him while spraying and found those milky eyes staring back at me (see pic). So we are officially in our first shed together. What are the basics that I need to know? Beside keeping the humidity around 70%, I'm not sure what else to do. How long should this process take? Will he need any help? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Our first shed

Aww, what an adorable little guy. He sure is in the deep blue zombie-eyes phase of shed! You've done a great job so far by bumping up humidity and leaving him alone as much as possible. The sphagnum moss I see helps too, if you keep some damp sphagnum moss in both hides it will help him. In my experience a BP can stay in the blue phase for roughly 4 days, after which they will clear up and mysteriously look like they are no longer in shed. Usually once the BP's eyes are clear they will shed within the next 24-72 hours. There is a great thread about the whole process here: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...edding-Process

If your BP is healthy and you keep his humidity up at 70%-80% during shed, and the humidity is normally around 55-65% when not in shed, he should have a perfect shed. I hope all goes well!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-19-2019),indygunnerguy (06-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Aww, what an adorable little guy. He sure is in the deep blue zombie-eyes phase of shed! You've done a great job so far by bumping up humidity and leaving him alone as much as possible. The sphagnum moss I see helps too, if you keep some damp sphagnum moss in both hides it will help him. In my experience a BP can stay in the blue phase for roughly 4 days, after which they will clear up and mysteriously look like they are no longer in shed. Usually once the BP's eyes are clear they will shed within the next 24-72 hours. There is a great thread about the whole process here: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...edding-Process

If your BP is healthy and you keep his humidity up at 70%-80% during shed, and the humidity is normally around 55-65% when not in shed, he should have a perfect shed. I hope all goes well!
    Thanks! Yeah he's a sweet boy. Thanks for the info! Yeah I have Sphagnum moss in both hides in the warm and cool sides, but he's stayed on the warm side the whole time lol.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to indygunnerguy For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (06-17-2019)

Thanks

So I haven't seen him come out since the other day when I saw his eyes were milky. Would it stress him out too bad to lift his hide to check on him?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indygunnerguy View Post
    So I haven't seen him come out since the other day when I saw his eyes were milky. Would it stress him out too bad to lift his hide to check on him?

You should be fine. Lift it up real quick and check. You might find a shed in there. Sometimes they will take a dump when they shed and me personally I don’t like leaving that in there. I would imagine he hasn’t shed yet though. If he was blue on the 17th it will be 3-5 days before it actually sheds. He will probably look clear in his eyes and still dull throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

indygunnerguy (06-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by indygunnerguy View Post

You don’t have to check each day but as others have mentioned keep looking for the eyes to clear as they then shed the skin a few days later — sometimes as much as five days ( or more in some cases)

As soon as the eyes clear I start spraying each day ( once or twice ) and this seems to guarantee a perfect shed .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

indygunnerguy (06-20-2019)