I wanted to give an update on my blood python's enclosure. I purchased a Herpstat 2 a while ago, and I set it up on the CHE in his enclosure. I have been keeping the temps at 86 during the day, and 81 to 84 at night. the cool side runs 4 degrees cooler than the basking spot. I am taking the temp under his hot hide with an electronic thermometer, and the temp on the cool side with another one. I have the probe placed between the CHE and the substrate. It is about 5 inches above the substrate, and 4 inches below the CHE. It is set at 92 degrees. I found that the 75 Watt CHE I have is not enough, as at night it dips 2 degrees lower than I would like, so I am getting the 100watt CHE to replace my 75 watt one.

As far as Humidity I have been misting the tank 2x a day, and it keeps it close to 60. I am unable to get it higher than 62%. But his substrate is damp. The top inch of the substrate is dry, but the bottom 2 inches is damp, and it stays damp. I haven't noticed anything about him to suggest that the humidity is too low, so I believe I have everything on the dot except for those night temps. I find that when he doesn't want higher humidity he will sit on top of the substrate, but when shedding, or about to shed he burrows and sits in the damp substrate to provide him with more humidity.

My VE-6 should be here in about 4 weeks. Once that is here I plan on setting it up, and then setup the temps, and let it sit for a day or two to stabilize.

So here is the ?

I want to keep a few different species, and all of them have basking spots that range from 85-90 degrees. Can I keep my rack at 88 degrees to provide heat for all the species? Or do I need to setup different heat tape for each shelf?