Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,759

4 members and 3,755 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Higher Humidity this year driving me Nuts. 68-70%BP enclosures.

Ive always had Burms and their humidity is better around 70%-72%. Balls Ive learned over the last 3 years are better 50% up to around 60% so thats what Ive kept mine at since 2016 when I got them.
    I dont know why Im having a problem this spring, nothing has changed but I cant get their enclosures below 68%-70%. During winter I close off their vents and fill water bowls all the way up because its to dry in the house and that works for 60%. I uncover the vents for summer and fill bowls 1/2 way for 60%. I only use Craft Paper substrate and the only way I can get the humidity to the 50%-55% range is removing the water. Even a tiny bowl makes the humidity sky rocket. I really don’t want to run a dehumidifier as my Burm enclosure would suffer and I already have enough stuff running around here with all these RHP’s, Herpstats, AC etc...
    anyone know a Magic Trick to lower Humidity? Hahahaha. This is driving me Nuts!!! Someone tell me I can get away with 68% without any ill effects?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Re: Higher Humidity this year driving me Nuts. 68-70%BP enclosures.

68 is fine, I guarantee it.
    I’ve kept ball pythons in 90% plus and no problem whatsoever. It’s below 55, and they get uncomfortable shedding.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (06-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    For starters I keep the ceiling fan on in the snake room for mild ventilation.

If I remember, you have AP cages, as do I.

If humidity gets too high, I go into the snake room several times a day and open the doors to the cage/s and point an industrial type fan directly towards one side of the cage at a 45 degree angle and the air escapes out the other end taking humidity with it. I do this for 5-10 minutes or until a snakes tries to escape. This does a rapid quick fix, but the high humidity can bounce back within an hour or two. But repeating this will eventually bring it down to a stable %.

If things are way out of hand with water on the windows and sides, then I barely open the doors on each side of the cages about **1/4 inch.(after doing above step) I check frequently to make sure no one is trying a prison break. Usually within 24 hrs humidity will drop to the 70 ish range. You can do this with or without the fan running.

** only leave the doors agape if they are glass! I’ve had my big Carpets and Boas bend the thick plastic doors permanently and escape. They have also blown the doors out AND the tracks out due to the spring action of the plastic. So this potential may be worse with your Burm.

Other than these tips, you could install adjustable vents.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (06-17-2019),Sonny1318 (06-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    For starters I keep the ceiling fan on in the snake room for mild ventilation.

If I remember, you have AP cages, as do I.

If humidity gets too high, I go into the snake room several times a day and open the doors to the cage/s and point an industrial type fan directly towards one side of the cage at a 45 degree angle and the air escapes out the other end taking humidity with it. I do this for 5-10 minutes or until a snakes tries to escape. This does a rapid quick fix, but the high humidity can bounce back within an hour or two. But repeating this will eventually bring it down to a stable %.

If things are way out of hand with water on the windows and sides, then I barely open the doors on each side of the cages about **1/4 inch.(after doing above step) I check frequently to make sure no one is trying a prison break. Usually within 24 hrs humidity will drop to the 70 ish range. You can do this with or without the fan running.

** only leave the doors agape if they are glass! I’ve had my big Carpets and Boas bend the thick plastic doors permanently and escape. They have also blown the doors out AND the tracks out due to the spring action of the plastic. So this potential may be worse with your Burm.

Other than these tips, you could install adjustable vents.
    Hey Reinz nice to hear from ya. The Burm enclosure is perfect. I keep him at 70% anyway. The Balls are whats bothering as others have always said 50-60%. In your reply you mentioned after 24 hrs your Humidity drops to the 70ish range. Is that to say you are generally in that range for Balls?
    If so I have nothing to worry about.. in 68-70 but was always 52-60% other years. Maybe its the rain we have gotten this year. Even with the AC on I’m sure the outside humidity could definitely affect things inside.
    Ive never had a damp or sweating enclosure. Thats only happened when someone spilled a Bowl. Thanks for your insight. It’s one of those things I can’t get out of my head even when im working. I’m afraid the Albino girl isnt content. When I open the cage she come right out onto my arm day or night. She starts to periscope right away and wants to get down and is crazy inquisitive. Strange for a Ball but she has always been outgoing since a month old. She Is 3 this summer.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post

Also wanted to say the Albino has stopped sleeping in Hides. She’s around 2000+ grams. 4’+ and healthy. She lays out though except when shedding or after eating. Strange to me. She thinks she’s a Burm or Retic hahahaha

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    I don't know what you have running as heat sources, but a ceramic heat emitting bulb will drain your humidity. I have to actually have a humidifier set up for my tank because it becomes so dry, lol. Maybe it could balance out the high humidity?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Also wanted to say the Albino has stopped sleeping in Hides. She’s around 2000+ grams. 4’+ and healthy. She lays out though except when shedding or after eating. Strange to me. She thinks she’s a Burm or Retic hahahaha

Hey Calm, I have an almost six year old 1600 gram plus Clown that rarely hides. 90% time lying out in the open. Only when in shed and like you said after eating. I also have a Hypo Super Enchi, that’s pushing four and he’s also well over 1500 grams. He’s out at least 70% percent of the time, too. I don’t know what to tell you, they didn’t read the ball python manual lmfao. My humidity is around 55 in the summer, unfortunately in the winter I have to run a humidifier. But in Chicago the winters inside get dry. I wouldn’t sweat the non hiding. Even my Pied is starting to get in on the occasional “hey who needs a hide”. They are all kept in tanks in my living room. There’s a pic in my galllery. Hope this helped. Best of luck. But my other six year old guy a 1500 plus gram Black Pastel, he’s like a ghost, never see him unless he’s getting a drink or hungry.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (06-17-2019),Reinz (06-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by royalreilly View Post
    I don't know what you have running as heat sources, but a ceramic heat emitting bulb will drain your humidity. I have to actually have a humidifier set up for my tank because it becomes so dry, lol. Maybe it could balance out the high humidity?
    That would work but I don’t want to modify my AP stack.
    I run Pro Panels for heat.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (06-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    If you're on the east coast it may just be that we're having such a wet year that the ambient humidity is naturally higher in your house, even with the A/C running, than it has been in past years, which equates to higher humidity in the enclosures. It's also been cooler than normal so your A/C may not even run much, which means more humid ambient air.

IIRC from my AP cages, they have no ventilation holes on the sides, only in the back. So, you could try drilling some holes in each side to get more cross-flow ventilation. If you put the holes down low on the cool side, and up high on the warm side, then the cool air from the room will naturally flow into the cool side of the enclosure, get pulled across, get warmed up by the RHP, and then flow out of the enclosure. You can cover up the holes in the winter when your house is cooler and less humid.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (06-18-2019),Reinz (06-17-2019),Sonny1318 (06-17-2019),Sunnieskys (06-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    If you're on the east coast it may just be that we're having such a wet year that the ambient humidity is naturally higher in your house, even with the A/C running, than it has been in past years, which equates to higher humidity in the enclosures. It's also been cooler than normal so your A/C may not even run much, which means more humid ambient air.

IIRC from my AP cages, they have no ventilation holes on the sides, only in the back. So, you could try drilling some holes in each side to get more cross-flow ventilation. If you put the holes down low on the cool side, and up high on the warm side, then the cool air from the room will naturally flow into the cool side of the enclosure, get pulled across, get warmed up by the RHP, and then flow out of the enclosure. You can cover up the holes in the winter when your house is cooler and less humid.
    You nailed it. Wet wet wet here in the east this year.
    Last night i turned a single fan on, pointed it up a bit and circulated the room. Guess what... My HUMIDITY was to low when i woke up hahahahahaha. So we got a solution, now to add some water to the 1/4 filled bowls and I’ll be Perfect. To funny.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (06-18-2019),Reinz (06-18-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast