Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,947

2 members and 2,945 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Nix Mite Solution

So I was cleaning my cages today and noticed some black spots in one of my BP's water bowls. It popped like a zit. SO I HAVE MITES! I was looking into a Nix solution and ordered a bottle online. When it arrived I noticed that it was different from the nix that everyone else uses in their solution. The main ingredient in the Nix shampoo is Permetherin, but the main ingredients in the solution that was sent to me are Dimethicone and mineral oil. Does anyone know if this will work or should I just find the shampoo with the Permetherine in it?
    Last edited by Nakk89; 06-15-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Thanks

Re: Nix Mite Solution

I think I have found the answer to my own question about this solution since I did not know mineral oil will slough off snake scales. I will not be using this, but does anyone know what Dimethicone is?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,792 Times in 11,827 Posts

Re: Nix Mite Solution

Quote Originally Posted by Nakk89 View Post
    I think I have found the answer to my own question about this solution since I did not know mineral oil will slough off snake scales. I will not be using this, but does anyone know what Dimethicone is?
    Far as I can tell it's a smoothing agent used in cosmetics & moisturizers. Probably just as bad for snake scales as the mineral oil...I wouldn't use it on snakes-
    have to remember that NIX is designed for humans, not reptiles.

Good luck getting rid of the mites...please don't underestimate them, they can kill snakes because they reproduce in massive numbers.

Until you get the appropriate remedy to kill mites safely, it's fine to bathe your snake in shallow luke-warm water with a drop or two of
    mild liquid soap (Ivory or Dawn), for about 20-30 minutes; stay right there & make sure the snake doesn't drink the water & that the
    solution reaches all it can (don't submerge their heads, however). Mites will drown this way, but a few may be missed (hiding on the
    snake's face), but getting MOST of them at least is far safer for the health of the snake, & this can be done once a day. Again, the water
    must be shallow, the snake isn't supposed to be swimming, just soaking so the mites drown from the soapy water...the tiny bit of soap
    reduces the surface tension of the water so they cannot stay afloat.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-15-2019 at 11:25 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    If there is a farm and garden supply store near you like Tractor Supply, look for a product in the equine/cattle section called Permethrin-10. It's very concentrated permethrin. A quarter teaspoon in a gallon of water will make an effective mite spray.

DO NOT APPLY PERMETHRIN DIRECTLY TO YOUR SNAKE OR IN ITS WATER BOWL. Only spray it on the hide, paper substrate, enclosure, etc. and make sure everything is dry before returning your snake to its home.

For on-snake treatments folks have used Frontline very effectively.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (06-16-2019)