Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,083

1 members and 3,082 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Registered User squidwardtortellini's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll be gone for a week and somebody else will be watching over my snake. Any advice?

I'm going on vacation for a week and my sister will be watching over my cats and my snake. She's gonna come every afternoon or so to make sure the pets are okay. My cats have an automatic feeder and water dispenser and the snake only eats once a week, so that's easy peasy. I'm wondering if I should ask my sister to do anything else regarding the snake's enclosure (spot cleaning, checking temps, etc). I don't know if that will put him under stress since my sister is a stranger to him, but if it's necessary to ensure his safety I will ask her to do that. What do you guys normally do with your snakes when you're gone for long periods of time?

Oh and here's my photogenic boy :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GILGAMESH

2. The Following User Says Thank You to squidwardtortellini For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I'd ask her just to check on his temps. (let her know what they're supposed to be), & on his water bowl (in case it's dumped or in case he takes a dump IN it).

If she's not afraid of him, it would be nice if she removed stool if there is any: easiest way is with a plastic bag over her hand, pick up & invert the bag over
    the mess & dispose...easy! But...some snakes will nail a warm & moving target, even if it's wearing a plastic bag so tell her to put something like a flat piece*
    of cardboard in front of where the snake is when she does this, so he's not able to see her invading his space, & therefore won't strike (scaring them both!).
    *I'd leave such a thing near the cage, actually. You always want to be on good terms with your "babysitter", lol.

Honestly, it wouldn't be a big risk for a week if NO one checked on your snake, but since you have someone, that's the better way.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (06-15-2019),squidwardtortellini (06-15-2019)

Thanks

Re: I'll be gone for a week and somebody else will be watching over my snake. Any adv

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'd ask her just to check on his temps. (let her know what they're supposed to be), & on his water bowl (in case it's dumped or in case he takes a dump IN it).

If she's not afraid of him, it would be nice if she removed stool if there is any: easiest way is with a plastic bag over her hand, pick up & invert the bag over
    the mess & dispose...easy! But...some snakes will nail a warm & moving target, even if it's wearing a plastic bag so tell her to put something like a flat piece*
    of cardboard in front of where the snake is when she does this, so he's not able to see her invading his space, & therefore won't strike (scaring them both!).
    *I'd leave such a thing near the cage, actually. You always want to be on good terms with your "babysitter", lol.

Honestly, it wouldn't be a big risk for a week if NO one checked on your snake, but since you have someone, that's the better way.
    Thanks! I'll ask my sister to come here before we leave so I can explain how to check the temps and everything else. I'll also write down the instructions just in case. I'm gonna miss my little guy so much!
    GILGAMESH

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squidwardtortellini For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2019),Craiga 01453 (06-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: I'll be gone for a week and somebody else will be watching over my snake. Any adv

I agree with bogertophis here. Checking temps are as expected and water is clean/present is really all that is necessary, unless you use a glass tank or other enclosure that needs regular misting for humidity and then add that as well.

We just set up instructions inside the door for where the different animals were in the house & a small index card checklist at each enclosure/tank for what parameters to check or things to do.

Not needed here, but for anyone it applies to, it is really convenient for a sitter if you measure out fish food into a weekly pill container. One day is food for that day, just pop the lid and dump into the tank. Helps avoid overfeeding for anyone not used to feeding fish and makes it quicker if you usually feed floating and sinking pellets for different types of fish in one tank.

My SIL was my pet sitter last time I needed one and she had a lot of boxes to check at our house (several snakes, a leopard gecko, axolotls, 3 fish tanks to feed, and gerbils to feed and water). She loved it since she got to handle the snakes some and sent some really cute pictures while we were gone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2019),squidwardtortellini (06-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    That's what a happy snake-sitter (& a contented BP) looks like! ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (06-15-2019),squidwardtortellini (06-15-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    I agree with bogertophis here. Checking temps are as expected and water is clean/present is really all that is necessary, unless you use a glass tank or other enclosure that needs regular misting for humidity and then add that as well.

We just set up instructions inside the door for where the different animals were in the house & a small index card checklist at each enclosure/tank for what parameters to check or things to do.

Not needed here, but for anyone it applies to, it is really convenient for a sitter if you measure out fish food into a weekly pill container. One day is food for that day, just pop the lid and dump into the tank. Helps avoid overfeeding for anyone not used to feeding fish and makes it quicker if you usually feed floating and sinking pellets for different types of fish in one tank.

My SIL was my pet sitter last time I needed one and she had a lot of boxes to check at our house (several snakes, a leopard gecko, axolotls, 3 fish tanks to feed, and gerbils to feed and water). She loved it since she got to handle the snakes some and sent some really cute pictures while we were gone.

That's such an adorable picture! The temperature and humidity always remain at the appropriate levels since he's in a plastic enclosure, but I'll still ask her to check and leave written instructions in case things aren't going the way they're supposed to. ☺️
    GILGAMESH

12. The Following User Says Thank You to squidwardtortellini For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (06-15-2019)

Thanks

I am a tad overkill about these things but when I went on a 17-day vacation I made posters for the correct temperature and humidity levels, feeding procedure, and instructions on how to handle a bite (for the very unlikely chance that my BP might bite someone and hang on), and taped them to the wall above my BP's enclosure. I also made a diagram showing how the heating, thermostats, and probes in the enclosure work because I have a CHE and UTH and two thermostats, in case anything needed to be adjusted or shut off. Also explained all these details verbally in person before leaving and showed how to use the heat gun, how to spot clean the enclosure, and how to thaw and warm a mouse and feed.

It's also a good idea to leave your local snake vet and your cats' vet info with your petsitter in case of any emergencies.

Your BP is gorgeous and I love her eyes! Enjoy your vacation

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-16-2019),squidwardtortellini (06-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    I am a tad overkill about these things but when I went on a 17-day vacation I made posters for the correct temperature and humidity levels, feeding procedure, and instructions on how to handle a bite (for the very unlikely chance that my BP might bite someone and hang on), and taped them to the wall above my BP's enclosure. I also made a diagram showing how the heating, thermostats, and probes in the enclosure work because I have a CHE and UTH and two thermostats, in case anything needed to be adjusted or shut off. Also explained all these details verbally in person before leaving and showed how to use the heat gun, how to spot clean the enclosure, and how to thaw and warm a mouse and feed.

It's also a good idea to leave your local snake vet and your cats' vet info with your petsitter in case of any emergencies.

Very nice! I would definitely go overkill like that for a longer trip in equipment and info summary, but mine was only 7 days so my guys just skipped that week's meal. I actually have made some "basic husbandry requirements" index cards I plan to print out for next time. Last time I only had 3 snakes, this time I have 17, haha.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post

Thanks a lot, this is very helpful! I didn't think about giving her the vet's info but now I'll be doing that as well. Even though my animals are healthy, you never know what could happen.
    Last edited by squidwardtortellini; 06-16-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    GILGAMESH

18. The Following User Says Thank You to squidwardtortellini For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Tell her to check mornings/ early afternoons when he’ll be fast asleep ..

I leave mine when we go on holiday and just put in an extra couple of larger water bowls ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post: