Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,171

2 members and 2,169 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Club at school

Thanks

Club at school

Next year I'm starting a reptile club where I will inform people on why reptiles aren't scary or bad (for the most part, some are pretty scary lol). I'm starting with snakes and debunking stereotypes and hopefully by next year I'll have my baby boa. Should I use a different snake such as a garter or corn to show people after school and work my way up? (I live 10 min away from my school so I won't have to bring them to school, ik that can stress them out a bunch ). I'm also thinking of doing some field herping since our school is on the WSU Vancouver campus (it's really cool and there's lot's of wildlife), any tips for finding herps in the forest/tall grass? Thanks I'm preparing lessons and activities this summer so people won't get bored while learning at my club.
    do the jah

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tickyyy For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    A "club" suggests that others may also have herps to share...why not invite that? But personally, I wouldn't just invite a bunch of strangers* to my house to do
    this...I'd do this an another location like at school. Sometimes libraries like to sponsor this sort of activity too, as it's very educational...you might ask? *While
    MOST ppl can be trusted, there are some who cannot. I'll never forget that years ago, while a locally-well-known snake keeper was away at the scheduled herp
    meeting, his home was broken into & valuable snakes were stolen from him, since they KNEW where he'd be & for how long. Better to maintain your privacy.

When I've taken my snakes either for formal programs or up-close "meet & greet" events, I only take snakes that I've had a while, so that they know & trust me;
    that trust has carried over well under unfamiliar circumstances, with no bad behavior what-so-ever...something you want to think about before attempting this.
    You might first try advertising that you'd like to start a reptile club & see if others would partake...not just to come & learn about yours, but some may also be
    keepers. Good luck with this...hope you succeed & keep us posted. A variety of snakes is helpful...many ppl feel more comfortable meeting a small snake, but I've
    also met people who prefer the bigger ones "because they move slower".

No particular advice for seeing snakes in the wild...much is luck. I was just in my back yard & met up with my resident garter snake. I have lots of ground
    cover (vinca vines, ivy, trees & groups of flowers) & it's perfect habitat. I also love seeing toads around. Do watch your steps...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Reinz (06-15-2019),tickyyy (06-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    I agree with Bogie about advertising first to get a feel for any interest. Talk to the science and biology teachers about bringing it up to their students, and possibly writing information on the corner of the chalkboard.

I guess school newspapers are a thing of the past now and now it’s electronic school newsletters? (Yeah, I’m showing my age) If so, I would think advertising would be free for school clubs.

As far as field herping; as Bogie said it’s mostly luck, and also how good are your eyes. Personally, I’m against turning rocks and logs over because those are homes to various creatures. You wouldn’t want anyone kicking your door in or ripping the roof off of your house.

Don’t be discouraged if it’s a slow go at first, most clubs are. I think it’s a great idea.

Best
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2019),tickyyy (06-15-2019)

Thanks

Re: Club at school

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    I guess school newspapers are a thing of the past now
    We actually have a school newspaper with a dispenser (that broke), it's called THE RAVEN. I'll talk to my biology teacher about talking to the freshman and his homeroom students next year about this, maybe even at our new school (we getting a new building) we can have a class pet like a snake, I'll make sure the snake is well taken care of lol
    do the jah

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tickyyy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2019),Reinz (06-15-2019)

Thanks

Okay I'll be running this club for a couple years, so I'll wait and get a cornsnake or sum for show. I overall just wanna inform people about reptiles cause I know people who kill snake cause they're scared of them and misinformed
    do the jah

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tickyyy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2019),Reinz (06-15-2019)

Thanks
    A corn snake should be a good choice, very forgiving on husbandry.

My Biology teacher in 8th grade had a Boa in the classroom. It was in a tank up front close to the teacher’s desk. From what I remember, it was in the 4-5 foot range. Back then, it was truly an exotic snake that was expensive.

I’m going way back, we had no air conditioning in our schools then (showing my age again). There was no heat lamp or thought of humidity regulation. Nowadays it would be treated as animal abuse. Naturally the teacher took the Boa home for the summer.

On some weekends me and my buddy, Steve Oxley would take our shotguns to the field to hunt birds for the Boa; primarily Meadow Larks and Sparrows. My Mother was really upset with me for storing birds in her freezer until Monday. But she knew I would do most anything for the care of an animal.

Current day, needless to say, Mom is not surprised that MY rat freezer will house overflow groceries these days.
    Last edited by Reinz; 06-15-2019 at 03:31 PM. Reason: sp
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2019)

Thanks
    Be careful about the "class pet" idea...it only takes one sick mind to do harm when no one's looking, & snakes are still widely hated. Don't expect to change
    ALL the minds you come across, just do the best you can.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Danger noodles (06-15-2019),pretends2bnormal (06-15-2019),Reinz (06-15-2019),Toad37 (06-15-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Be careful about the "class pet" idea...it only takes one sick mind to do harm when no one's looking, & snakes are still widely hated. Don't expect to change
    ALL the minds you come across, just do the best you can.
    Good point!

For the safety of the snake, a non tank enclosure; i.e., PVC or wood, would be best. With locks on the door of course. This may cost more than what you were planning.

Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Good point!

For the safety of the snake, a non tank enclosure; i.e., PVC or wood, would be best. With locks on the door of course. This may cost more than what you were planning.
    Even so, think of all the hours that no one is around: nights, weekends, holidays...so if something goes wrong like a power-failure, any animals left there are way too
    vulnerable, IMO. It's far too easy to forget that even if nothing is wrong at home, conditions may be very different in that empty school. I'd much rather see snakes
    transported & shown for special occasions only, not left in residence (at a school). And I guarantee you that in any given class, there may be at least one fearful and
    resentful person about the constant presence of a snake...such a person may one day decide to "do" something about it.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Danger noodles (06-15-2019),Reinz (06-15-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Even so, think of all the hours that no one is around: nights, weekends, holidays...so if something goes wrong like a power-failure, any animals left there are way too
    vulnerable, IMO. It's far too easy to forget that even if nothing is wrong at home, conditions may be very different in that empty school. I'd much rather see snakes
    transported & shown for special occasions only, not left in residence (at a school). And I guarantee you that in any given class, there may be at least one fearful and
    resentful person about the constant presence of a snake...such a person may one day decide to "do" something about it.
    You make quite a compelling argument and I must agree with you.

Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2019),Danger noodles (06-15-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast