Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,818

0 members and 2,818 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question New owner: when to try feeding?

Hello! I'm making another post for nanners. I'll have had him for 1 week this Sunday, I'm wondering if that's too soon to offer him food? I think hes been a bit stressed bc I've had to adjust his temps and equipment a couple times this week due to getting him new things (hygrometre, smaller hide to feel more secure, thermostat) I'm leaning towards waiting until next week to offer, but would that be waiting too long? Thank you for the help.

Ps. His temps are all under control now, I'm aware I should've bought those items to begin with, they weren't at the store I got him at and I checked every store in town with no luck. Only got a chance to go to the city yesterday;;

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    It can't hurt to offer, but assuming the animal is well established and a healthy weight it won't hurt to wait.

Thanks

Re: New owner: when to try feeding?

Hes a good weight so I was thinking it would be fine to wait too, just wanted to confirm hed be fine. I'm excited to have him but dont wanna stress him by bothering him too soon lol.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thekaibaman For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2019),Craiga 01453 (06-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'd advise waiting another week...typically people try to feed new snakes too soon, & while they may get away with it, there's no harm & probable benefit to
    waiting. A 2 week wait to feed a new snake is actually standard advise, but you'd never know it, lol. Snakes are pretty stoic, so if you, as his new owner, can
    tell that he seems stressed, I'm sure he is & feels worse than you realize. If you offer now, he might take it, but still regurgitate it...best to wait.

I hope you aren't handling him at all? That needs to wait until he's feeding reliably foryou: like after he's fed 3 times at normal weekly intervals, assuming
    he's young? Adult snakes are fed at longer intervals, & are often more resilient to stress, but it should always be considered for them as well.

As I'm sure you realize now, if you ever get another snake, you want to get the enclosure completely set up and test-running the heat for a week (at least)
    before bringing home a new occupant...in case you need to buy or order something for it.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-15-2019)