Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 169

5 members and 164 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 67,264
Threads: 241,882
Posts: 2,510,791
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Ocean_Drive_Royals
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51
  1. #41
    BPnet Veteran richardhind1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-31-2017
    Location
    derbyshire, uk
    Posts
    3,347
    Thanks
    7,627
    Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,239 Posts

    Re: Bought a Nicaraguan boa....

    It's so surprising how loud a litter boa is when hissing,lol
    I think you probably surprised him and from the sound of it wasn't that hungry, Im Sure once settled in he won't stop eating

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richardhind1972; 07-06-2019 at 04:59 PM.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

    SVT Wylde (07-06-2019)

  3. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-12-2018
    Posts
    105
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 96 Times in 57 Posts
    Images: 8
    Iíll have to figure out a routine with this guy. I never thought my BP would be the power feeder. lol Iím surprised he ate it just laying on the tank floor.

  4. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-07-2019
    Posts
    787
    Thanks
    205
    Thanked 457 Times in 241 Posts

    Re: Bought a Nicaraguan boa....

    Quote Originally Posted by SVT Wylde View Post
    He let me know that...lol

    Last night was feeding day, and my BP comes out cocked and loaded instantly when he smells his meal, wraps it for a while, and takes is rat in his hide. Next was the boa so I put the bag the mouse was in inside his tank thinking the scent will draw him out. No results. I then blew warm air over the mouse with a hairdryer letting the scent blow into his tank and hide and I got 0 response. So I thought I'd lift the hide slightly and dangle the mouse in front of him thinking he would take it. No,,,,,,, it resulted in a defensive strike and 2 solid minutes of hissing like a tractor tire with a nail in it.

    So after feeling like a failure, I started reading some old posts here and dangling the mouse in front of the hole was the first option and drop feeding was the second option. I was skeptical but later, I left the mouse on a paper towel in his tank and it was gone this morning. I've heard boas are serious eaters but I'm not seeing that with this guy. Would his age and size have anything to do with that or is he still adjusting to his new home?
    I just got told this myself, but no paper towels in the tank. If your snake ingests it he will probably die. Use something like cardboard, plastic Tupperware lid, or a plate.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (07-06-2019),dakski (07-06-2019)

  6. #44
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,802
    Thanks
    14,927
    Thanked 8,698 Times in 5,559 Posts

    Re: Bought a Nicaraguan boa....

    Quote Originally Posted by SVT Wylde View Post
    ... later, I left the mouse on a paper towel in his tank and it was gone this morning. I've heard boas are serious eaters but I'm not seeing that with this guy. Would his age and size have anything to do with that or is he still adjusting to his new home?
    As already noted, no paper towels under or near prey. A snake's teeth will catch on the towel & if swallowed along with the meal, they cannot digest it & may not be
    able to pass it either.

    I think your boa is still too young & in the process of adjusting...be a little more patient about handling etc.- that's all. Fear ruins their appetite.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    dakski (07-06-2019),richardhind1972 (07-06-2019)

  8. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-12-2018
    Posts
    105
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 96 Times in 57 Posts
    Images: 8

    Re: Bought a Nicaraguan boa....

    Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    I just got told this myself, but no paper towels in the tank. If your snake ingests it he will probably die. Use something like cardboard, plastic Tupperware lid, or a plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    As already noted, no paper towels under or near prey. A snake's teeth will catch on the towel & if swallowed along with the meal, they cannot digest it & may not be
    able to pass it either.

    That never even crossed my mind. I had 3 towels folded in half and it was very thick but I wont do that again. Thanks for the heads up!

    Yes he is 1 year old but he was raised in a rack so this whole tank thing is very new to him. I haven't handled him much but I'm going to leave him alone for another couple of weeks just to be sure he has settled in.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SVT Wylde For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (07-06-2019),dakski (07-06-2019)

  10. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-12-2018
    Posts
    105
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 96 Times in 57 Posts
    Images: 8
    Well.... my boa and I have come to a food agreement. I lay his meal in the tank and he eats when he is darn good and ready. For the second week he has no interest in food other than eating on his own time. It’s very unlike a Boa but I guess I have a shy one on my hands.

    He was laying in the open in his tank yesterday and when I walked up his breathing rate at least doubled. Hopefully with more time and handling he will calm down and grow out of it.
    Last edited by SVT Wylde; 07-18-2019 at 03:45 PM.

  11. #47
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-08-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,129
    Thanks
    4,402
    Thanked 5,252 Times in 2,384 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 134

    Re: Bought a Nicaraguan boa....

    Quote Originally Posted by SVT Wylde View Post
    Well.... my boa and I have come to a food agreement. I lay his meal in the tank and he eats when he is darn good and ready. For the second week he has no interest in food other than eating on his own time. Itís very unlike a Boa but I guess I have a shy one on my hands.

    He was laying in the open in his tank yesterday and when I walked up his breathing rate at least doubled. Hopefully with more time and handling he will calm down and grow out of it.
    He should calm down and get braver with time and handling. I bet in no time, he will be nailing rats for you.

    Be patient, it's hasn't been that long and he's young. Very good he's eating!

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    richardhind1972 (07-18-2019),SVT Wylde (07-18-2019)

  13. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-12-2018
    Posts
    105
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 96 Times in 57 Posts
    Images: 8

    Re: Bought a Nicaraguan boa....

    Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    He should calm down and get braver with time and handling. I bet in no time, he will be nailing rats for you.

    Be patient, it's hasn't been that long and he's young. Very good he's eating!
    Do their personalities change a lot as they get older? Iím not quite sure what to expect and so far feeding is my only real issue if you can call it an issue at all. He is a year old today so I guess I expected a snake that was a little more adjusted.

    I have left him alone the past 2 weeks to give him more adjustment time per Bogertophisís suggestion. I think Iíll start handling sessions again next week and go from there.

  14. #49
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-08-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,129
    Thanks
    4,402
    Thanked 5,252 Times in 2,384 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 134

    Re: Bought a Nicaraguan boa....

    Quote Originally Posted by SVT Wylde View Post
    Do their personalities change a lot as they get older? Iím not quite sure what to expect and so far feeding is my only real issue if you can call it an issue at all. He is a year old today so I guess I expected a snake that was a little more adjusted.

    I have left him alone the past 2 weeks to give him more adjustment time per Bogertophisís suggestion. I think Iíll start handling sessions again next week and go from there.
    I think it depends. I got Behira (BI) at about 1 year old, and the same with Feliz, (Dwarf BCC). They haven't changed too much, but have calmed a little bit and gotten a little braver with size and handling.

    Behira was handled often by her breeder (for a breeder anyway), as was Feliz, because they were both holdbacks, and small breeders.

    The bigger issues with your guy is that he's in a new environment and may not have been handled much. Keep up short, gentle, and persistent handling. Keep offering food and as long as he is eating, do not sweat how he takes it.

    Not a boa, but my scaleless corn, Solana, is a voracious eater, just like my boas. However, the first 4-5 meals I gave her, she would only eat when I wasn't looking. Then she built her confidence and began pounding food.

    Young snakes can be crazy eaters knowing they need to grow, or can be a little shy, but generally grow out of that.

    If it hasn't been mentioned, I would recommend hook training as well. It will help avoid a bite long-term for you and when he has size that's a very good thing. However, it could also help his food drive. If he's nervous about you now, the hook will let him know it's handling time. Otherwise, he will think food and might be more inclined to be more aggressive eating.

    Finally, if not mentioned yet, feed at night, with dim lighting. That's when they naturally hunt (they are nocturnal as is their prey) and will be more inclined to be interested and serious about food.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    richardhind1972 (07-19-2019)

  16. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-12-2018
    Posts
    105
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 96 Times in 57 Posts
    Images: 8

    Re: Bought a Nicaraguan boa....

    Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I think it depends. I got Behira (BI) at about 1 year old, and the same with Feliz, (Dwarf BCC). They haven't changed too much, but have calmed a little bit and gotten a little braver with size and handling.

    Behira was handled often by her breeder (for a breeder anyway), as was Feliz, because they were both holdbacks, and small breeders.

    The bigger issues with your guy is that he's in a new environment and may not have been handled much. Keep up short, gentle, and persistent handling. Keep offering food and as long as he is eating, do not sweat how he takes it.

    Not a boa, but my scaleless corn, Solana, is a voracious eater, just like my boas. However, the first 4-5 meals I gave her, she would only eat when I wasn't looking. Then she built her confidence and began pounding food.

    Young snakes can be crazy eaters knowing they need to grow, or can be a little shy, but generally grow out of that.

    If it hasn't been mentioned, I would recommend hook training as well. It will help avoid a bite long-term for you and when he has size that's a very good thing. However, it could also help his food drive. If he's nervous about you now, the hook will let him know it's handling time. Otherwise, he will think food and might be more inclined to be more aggressive eating.

    Finally, if not mentioned yet, feed at night, with dim lighting. That's when they naturally hunt (they are nocturnal as is their prey) and will be more inclined to be interested and serious about food.

    Thank you sir! Yes I feed both my snakes at night and I have started tap training but I have only handled him 2-3 times.

    I have been doing some work on my computer and he has been laying in the open looking at me while basking under his heat lamp for the past 3 hours. He is generally alone in this room but not today. I've been in and out of the room 3-4 times and he hasn't fled like usual. Maybe he is beginning to realize I'm the guy with the delicious meals and not so bad after all LOL

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to SVT Wylde For This Useful Post:

    dakski (07-19-2019)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1