Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,720

1 members and 1,719 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Exclamation Help! My ball python is having a hard time getting a day old chick down.

First off, yes I weighed it and it was appropriate size. I’m worried she ate it backwards and the claws are hurting her insides. It appears to be 6 inches down her body and it looks extremely concerning. Maybe I’m overreacting. She was also on her side for a while when she started fully swallowing it.

It looks like she’s slowly getting it down but it looks so painful and slow. Should I avoid feeding chicks until she’s bigger? I’ve only fed them as a treat occasionally and never had this problem. I tried opening her cage to get a better photo but she struck at me. Also her water dish was cleaned two days ago, it just has permanent lime deposits.
    Last edited by Shadowy; 06-14-2019 at 02:49 AM.

Thanks

Re: Help! My ball python is having a hard time getting a day old chick down.

It always looks a bit scary when they’re trying to get chicks down. I wouldn’t worry. Sometimes I trim the beak just to be safe, but they are equipped to deal with this.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-14-2019),Shadowy (06-14-2019)

Thanks

Just curious... Why are you feeding chicks?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moose84 View Post
    Just curious... Why are you feeding chicks?
    I did quite a bit of research and heard of people incorporating chicks into the diet of their ball python since they do eat small birds in the wild certain times of the year. I’ve been feeding a chick for every 3 rats I feed her just to give variety to her diet. She honestly loves them too. I’ve already fed 3 and haven’t had this problem though. I’m thinking I’ll trim the beak and talons next time.
    Last edited by Shadowy; 06-14-2019 at 02:38 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadowy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-14-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy View Post
    I did quite a bit of research and heard of people incorporating chicks into the diet of their ball python since they do eat small birds in the wild certain times of the year. I’ve been feeding a chick for every 3 rats I feed her just to give variety to her diet. I’ve already fed 3 and haven’t had this problem. I’m thinking I’ll trim the beak and talons next time.
    I can't ever argue with research.. However, as picky as they can be I am always skeptical of switching up food. I only switch if they aren't taking rats and I will go to mice. I would just be aware that if they only want to take that you are prepared to feed them that for what might be a long time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moose84 View Post
    I can't ever argue with research.. However, as picky as they can be I am always skeptical of switching up food. I only switch if they aren't taking rats and I will go to mice. I would just be aware that if they only want to take that you are prepared to feed them that for what might be a long time.
    That’s why I feed 3 rats in a row before giving a chick. She still loves her rats so I’m not too worried about her exclusively wanting chicks, although I have considered that to be a possibility.