Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,205

1 members and 3,204 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Substrate Alternative?

Hey, y’all...

Quick question, is this good for the bottom of our enclosures? Thinking of getting away from substrate due to possible impactions. Nothing happened....just thinking ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Carpe' Diem

Thanks

Re: Substrate Alternative?

I've used both and wasn't a huge fan of the butcher paper vs substrate because I felt my humidity took a hit with paper as well as it just seemed messier. I found myself doing a full clean every time there was a bathroom break whereas substrate does a great job of absorption and spot cleans are rather quick. Also, I've never worried about impaction while eating. I think you'll get mixed opinions on this one.....
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Shayne (06-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    Kraft paper is technically fine, but it's slippery for your snake, no traction.

A better choice is corrugated wrap: it traps snake urates & feces pretty well, otherwise they slide right thru it with plain kraft paper & "paint" with it.
    https://www.uline.com/cls_uline/Uline-Products

What I like to do with this sort of substrate is to cut a square notch out of each corner (like 3" x 3") so that I can fold each side up by 3" for better "containment".
    So I'd buy the size that = the cage floor width + 5"-6" (roughly, for room to fold up).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-13-2019 at 03:35 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shayne (06-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

I've never used smooth paper, but also haven't tried corrugated either. I've got this "indented" craft paper and they seem to grip it decently well for a paper surface. No paper is ever quite as easy for them as loose substrate, I don't think, but this is pretty good. It is probably in between the other 2 options.

It is sort of the texture of rice chex, except indented instead of punched out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Shayne (06-13-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I use smooth dunnage (unprinted newsprint, has a softer texture and less sharp edges when cut than kraft paper) but kraft will work as well, I usually only use for small, juvi snakes.
    I used to use newspaper for my adults but they do slide around so for the last 10 years I've been using singleface corrugated and it works much better.
    Only reason I don't use indented is because it's usually much pricier than the singleface but it works too.
    For the Horde!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Shayne (06-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    I use smooth dunnage (unprinted newsprint, has a softer texture and less sharp edges when cut than kraft paper) but kraft will work as well, I usually only use for small, juvi snakes.
    I used to use newspaper for my adults but they do slide around so for the last 10 years I've been using singleface corrugated and it works much better.
    Only reason I don't use indented is because it's usually much pricier than the singleface but it works too.
    Where are you getting that kind then?
    When I looked indented was 2/3rds or so the price. Might give it a try once my indented runs out.
    (And can it be cut on the same roll holders or do you have to use scissors?)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Shayne (06-13-2019)

Thanks

Awesome! Thanks for all the great insight. Haven’t decided yet. Just trying to get some ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Carpe' Diem

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    Of all those I've tried, I liked the 1/4" corrugated (it's like regular corrugated cardboard with one facing removed), especially for heavy bodied or "pushy" snakes.

Good to have options though...and if you want the "greenest" option, it's indoor-outdoor nylon carpet, cut to fit...but ya gotta wash it. That's the cheapest in the
    long run, & makes the least waste, with good absorption, traction & excellent appearance. (it can be disinfected, even with bleach, with no color loss...the stuff
    wears forever! Can also be shaken out to remove most of the water & put in damp, for added humidity, but it dries fast too.)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shayne (06-13-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    Where are you getting that kind then?
    When I looked indented was 2/3rds or so the price. Might give it a try once my indented runs out.
    (And can it be cut on the same roll holders or do you have to use scissors?)
    I used to get it at cost direct from manufacturer though the company I work for which was SO nice!! When I bought these at cost, they were a whopping $22.
    but since I moved out of state, I get it at amazon. Various places sell it and pricing varies, so I don't always go with the same seller. Average price is between $52-65/rl (free prime shipping)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...02_s00?ie=UTF8
    that one is Ship now Supply. I've also bought Tape Logic, there are other vendors as well. You can get at places like Uline but you have to pay shipping and shipping is pricey.

There are different flutes (the size of the corrugated 'wave', I prefer A flute 1/4", B is a bit smaller but also cheaper).
    My adult boa cages are 4x2, hog isle cages are 3x2, this is 24" width so I cut the roll down into 4' and 3' lengths with scissors, the roll is 250' long and heavy

Hope that helps!
    For the Horde!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (06-13-2019),Shayne (06-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Of all those I've tried, I liked the 1/4" corrugated (it's like regular corrugated cardboard with one facing removed), especially for heavy bodied or "pushy" snakes.

Good to have options though...and if you want the "greenest" option, it's indoor-outdoor nylon carpet, cut to fit...but ya gotta wash it. That's the cheapest in the
    long run, & makes the least waste, with good absorption, traction & excellent appearance. (it can be disinfected, even with bleach, with no color loss...the stuff
    wears forever! Can also be shaken out to remove most of the water & put in damp, for added humidity, but it dries fast too.)
    Interesting.

Never thought about bout the nylon carpet as I figured it would be too much of a pain to completely remove every time. I do like the "go green" idea though.
    Carpe' Diem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast