Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,125

1 members and 3,124 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

UGH! Look what the cat found

So I have gone back and forth about posting these images because the outcome was not good. I have thought about it and decided to go ahead and post them. So a little background first. As most people know, it doesn't get very cold in the winter in Florida. This year winter was even warmer than usual. We have a screen porch that we let our two cats and dog use whenever they want by the use of a doggie door. One cat in particular is a very good hunter. Lizards and Geckos are always finding a way onto the porch and I for a reasonable part are able to save them, but not all. Rarely even snakes have gotten in the screened porch area. I have rescued yellow rats and corn snakes a few times before. Well this time it was different. Back in February I got home from work before my wife (thank goodness), went inside, walk into the family room and this is what I found on our rug...................

Initially when I saw this in our family room. It made me jump. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I then realized that the coral snake had been mortally wounded. The coral had gotten into the screen porch and our little hunter unfortunately founded it and maimed it. By the time I founded it, technically it was alive but barely moving. As much as I hated to do it, I did put it out of its misery. Luckily our cat was not bitten, but I was very upset that this happened to the snake. I have seen quite a few coral snakes growing up and this was one of the biggest i have seen. The box its in was 2 ft wide. That coral was every bit of 3 ft (which is huge for one). I hope these pics do not offend anyone and if so, I am very sorry. My intention was to share the fact that I found a coral snake in my house and not the unfortunate outcome
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bodie For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (06-11-2019),Bogertophis (06-11-2019)

Thanks
    your cat is lucky it didn't get bit, poor snake :(
    do the jah

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tickyyy For This Useful Post:

Bodie (06-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    While it's lucky your cat wasn't bitten, but I'm not so sure your cat even did that damage? I could be wrong, but that just doesn't look like what a cat does to
    prey, & believe me, I side with wildlife over cats when it comes to cats causing harm to wildlife. The injury is at the widest part of the body, & I believe that
    poor snake forced his way thru a hole (maybe in screen or other abrasive material?) that was just too small for his own health. I know that a similar thing
    has happened with a captive-bred snake (as reported a few years ago on a different forum) where the snake tried to force his way out of a damaged vent on
    a plastic "critter cottage" & died a gruesome death as a result. Snakes don't always stop when they should, and maybe the presence of a predator had some-
    thing to do with his haste? We'll never know...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (06-11-2019),Bodie (06-11-2019)

Thanks

Re: UGH! Look what the cat found

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    While it's lucky your cat wasn't bitten, but I'm not so sure your cat even did that damage? I could be wrong, but that just doesn't look like what a cat does to
    prey, & believe me, I side with wildlife over cats when it comes to cats causing harm to wildlife. The injury is at the widest part of the body, & I believe that
    poor snake forced his way thru a hole (maybe in screen or other abrasive material?) that was just too small for his own health. I know that a similar thing
    has happened with a captive-bred snake (as reported a few years ago on a different forum) where the snake tried to force his way out of a damaged vent on
    a plastic "critter cottage" & died a gruesome death as a result. Snakes don't always stop when they should, and maybe the presence of a predator had some-
    thing to do with his haste? We'll never know...

Very good point. At the time I did find it odd the injury the snake had. From unfortunate past experiences with some lizards and a few geckos with the cat....I guess for lack of a better term, not the norm for her so to speak. The thing that makes me think the cat was involved was inside the house, I did find a few blood spots that were on top of a chair and a couple spots on the kitchen floor. Also she was acting weird when I got home also out of the norm for her. So I just assumed it was the cat, but you have got me thinking more about now
    Last edited by Bodie; 06-11-2019 at 07:41 PM.
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bodie View Post
    Very good point. At the time I did find it odd the injury the snake had. From unfortunate past experiences with some lizards and a few geckos with the cat....I guess for lack of a better term, not the norm for her so to speak. The thing that makes me think the cat was involved was inside the house, I did find a few blood spots that were on top of a chair and a couple spots on the kitchen floor. Also she was acting weird when I got home also out of the norm for her. So I just assumed it was the cat, but you have got me thinking more about now
    As I tried to say, I'm rarely on the side of cats, but when something like this enters your house (their territory), I think it's normal for them to act weird, even if all
    they did was sniff near it. It could have made the snake panic & try to go thru something it shouldn't have without even touching it. If a wild snake ever got into my
    house, I'm pretty sure my dogs would have acted a little strange knowing it was there, but they'd not have done more than look & back away too...they've seen me
    holding snakes for years, & been allowed a sniff on the tail end, with no attempts to hurt them, & even a little fear (-my smaller dog). Snakes move differently than
    lizards...cats (& many dogs) are far more interested in quick & jumping lizards, & get spooked a little by snakes. Not always...but this just doesn't look like "the cat
    did it" to me?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bodie (06-11-2019)

Thanks
    would the solution be to stop letting your cat outside?
    Gargoyle Geckos: Gorey, Gremmie, Ouija, Gojira, Bacon Bit, Penny, Wednesday
    Crested Geckos: Eggs, Triscuit, Creature & Waffles
    Leopard Geckos: Rhubarb, Pepper and Clementine
    Cal Kings: Bones & Violet
    Corn snakes: A sh*tload
    Trans-Pesos: 1.1 No names
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    BCI Boa: Specter (Fineline morph)
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix
    One little special needs bearded dragon P. Sherman
    Black African House Snakes: 1.1 No names
    Northern Pines: 1.1 No names
    Four skinks, one of which is named Gator & Basil the mini-lop rabbit

'everything was beautiful and nothing hurt' - vonnegut.

www.facebook.com/SilentHillReptiles

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    he said the animals only go out on the screened in porch
    For the Horde!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bodie (06-12-2019),Bogertophis (06-11-2019),Sonny1318 (06-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SilentHill View Post
    would the solution be to stop letting your cat outside?

The cats do not go outside. They only have access to the screen porch
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bodie For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-12-2019),SilentHill (06-12-2019)

Thanks
    Red to yellow will kill a fellow, red to black is a friend of Jack... Oh my, it's the venomous kind! I'm just glad your cat didn't get bit. Poor snake, it just went where it shouldn't have gone.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bodie (06-12-2019)