Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,170

2 members and 3,168 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Wait for repticon or buy from my local pet store

So... My local pet store is getting in some Ternate Retics. I've seen the parent's photos and they are no longer than 12Ft. I will be able to get all the sire and Dam info that I need. My issue is do I buy one of these that will be available next week, or do I wait for Repticon? I really trust this pet store. What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Wait for repticon or buy from my local pet store

I'd look up who all will be at Repticon and see if any of them have what you're looking for (ask breeders who have retics if they have this locale for example). If that doesn't seem promising or less reputable for whoever does have it and this is one you really like and a store you trust (which it seems to be), then jump on this one.

Just my $0.02. And assuming you can afford the snake, of course.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 06-11-2019 at 06:50 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Not all pet stores are bad & it's nice to support local businesses who will be there for you, so if they have what you want & you trust them, it's up to you, but
    nothing wrong with buying from them, IMO. Either way, check for mites...& on that score, you'll have more time to check & less pressure at the store than you
    likely would @ Repticon, where it's not just the seller you're dealing with, but what all is being passed around. Also consider the reputation of the breeders.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    I'd look up who all will be at Repticon and see if any of them have what you're looking for (ask breeders who have retics if they have this locale for example). If that doesn't seem promising or less reputable for whoever does have it and this is one you really like and a store you trust (which it seems to be), then jump on this one.

Just my $0.02. And assuming you can afford the snake, of course.

There is no Vendor list available for Phoenix Repticon. The vendor list on the site was from last year. I've been told Repticons out here suck. I just don't want to buy the Plat Jag, and end up with an Albino I could have gotten at Repticon.
    Last edited by sur3fir3; 06-11-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    There is no Vendor list available for Phoenix Repticon. The vendor list on the site was from last year. I've been told Repticons out here suck. I just don't want to buy the Plat Jag, and end up with an Albino I could have gotten at Repticon.
    That's unfortunate. The repticon where I am updates a few weeks before usually with the upcoming vendors.

Maybe peak through the old list anyway and see if there is anyone on it that even sells retics you would consider reputable? Might be a repeat vendor if so (most of ours are repeats) so it could be a way to rule out a good chunk of who could be there. You wouldn't want to buy just because it is a morph you want if the vendor might be sketchy or have poorly treated their animals (as well as disease risk if they have poor keeping standards/cleanliness).

Any chance the store would hold one for you until the repticon (probably only feasible for a week or two, I would think)? Maybe for a deposit or something. Might be worth a small loss if you do find something good there and if not it will be there for you after.