Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,472

1 members and 1,471 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Day 68 ball python eggs... Help

Helllo people:cens0r:
    I am new to this site and is my first time breeding ball pythons! My eggs are on day 68 and i cut them on day 57 as i was to go on holiday that day and just come back today. My parents were looking after the eggs while i was away and it seems like they let the temperature drop a bit while i was away. Ive come back and checked on them and 2 of the snakes are not very responsive but eventually do move and also their yolk (gunk) has gone a funny colour. I was wondering if you guys think they will be okay and also how long is it till i should be expecting them.
    All replies will be much appreciated
    Kai

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Day 68 ball python eggs... Help

Unfortunate situation.

When you cut eggs you break the systems that kept infections out and moisture inside at the correct level.

The best time to cut is ideally after the first egg pips naturally, but even then they need a bit of care daily to prevent problems. You need to watch out for any fungus/ infections and monitor the thickness of the albumen at the same time to be able to top it up with incubator temp water to stop it getting too gloopy.

In your situation I'd get some cotton buds and remove any clumps/ fungus spots in the egg white and top up the eggs then re-dial in the temps and cross your fingers.

The time they take to hatch is entirely dependent on the temps they were incubated at so nobody can say exactly when they will try and leave the egg without that info. There are a few clues - are their noses out of the egg white and are they breathing air? Are the heads at the top of the egg all the time? How big of a window did you cut?

Pictures would be the most reliable way to let people see the condition of the egg white etc to try anmd help more.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures

fingers crossed for the little snooks.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-11-2019),Kai00 (06-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    I've raised a variety of other kinds of snakes- not BPs- but was never a fan of cutting the eggs. I trust nature to know what it's doing & for those that don't make
    it out, there is often a good reason, even if you can't see it. "Survival of the fittest" can be heart-breaking, but results in stronger, healthier snakes with "the right
    stuff" to survive. Wish you luck with them anyway...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Kai00 (06-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Day 68 ball python eggs... Help

Informed opinion: Next time Keep them in the incubator, inside the sealed egg, warm and humid until they are ready and cut their own way out. 99% of the time they will get out alone. That rare situation when all of them pipped out, but one is still is inside unpipped, then and only then is cutting necessary imo.

Cutting is an old habit of impatience that hurts more than helps.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 06-11-2019 at 07:46 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-11-2019),dr del (06-12-2019),Kai00 (06-12-2019)

Thanks

The time they take to hatch is entirely dependent on the temps they were incubated at so nobody can say exactly when they will try and leave the egg without that info. There are a few clues - are their noses out of the egg white and are they breathing air? Are the heads at the top of the egg all the time? How big of a window did you cut?

Pictures would be the most reliable way to let people see the condition of the egg white etc to try anmd help more.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures

fingers crossed for the little snooks.

dr del[/QUOTE]

Hello mate,
    Thank you you all for your help will check on them today and clear up some of the gunk with a cotton bud. I'm sure if I didn't go on holiday and didn't let someone else look after them they would've been out by now 😔 I checked on them yesterday and 2 of them had their heads up looking like they were ready to poke their heads out and the slit I put in the eggs were only small about 3cm long. I'm pretty sure at least one or 2 of them are breathing air. I will keep you guys updated thank you everyone for your responses 😊

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kai00 For This Useful Post:

dr del (06-12-2019),Godzilla78 (06-12-2019)

Thanks

A quick update one has its head out of the slit now so I haven't bothered checking the others. The one with its head out is one of the ones which I thought wasn't gonna make it 😁 will keep you guys updated ĺl

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kai00 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-12-2019),cincy (06-13-2019),dr del (06-12-2019)