Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,829

2 members and 2,827 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: questions

Thanks

questions

I posted a tiny while back about whether to get a BP or a corn snake. I think Ive decided on a BP but could please someone answer a few questions for me

Is it hard trying to handle a fully grown BP? I know it would be a while if I got one till it became fully grown but when I see pics of them it makes me thinks "woah how could I ever handle that" I understand it would probably be easier as I can handle my baby as it gets bigger and probably get used to it alot more then from baby to BAM full grown.

Another question is shedding...I realise BP's dont shed too well sometimes. This sort of scares me. What exactly do I do if say the BP's eyecaps to do come off? I would be soo worried if I couldnt help the poor thing.

My last question is eating...what do fully grown Bps eat? someone told me rabbits but I wasnt to sure on that

thanks for all your help

Thanks

Re: questions

Search the forums for sheding, there is alot of great info already posted, handling should not be a problem at all since you will get to grow with your snake (in experiance) Balls do not eat rabbits, medium rats are probably the largest you will ever need to feed.

Thanks

I'm rather new to owning Ball Pythons, however, we also have 2 corn snakes. I've found that I really like holding my baby ball python more than the corn snakes. When holding or should I say trying to hold corn snakes, they more or less just pick a direction and take off. My BP on the other hand, likes to hang out in my hand, around my neck, or around my arm most to of the time, and I really enjoy that, thats not to say that she doesn't like to explore, but she is more deliberate and moves slower than the corns.

Corn's can have shedding problems too if you don't keep the humidity right. We use a shed box with damp moss in it for both the Pythons and the Corn Snakes. We put them in after their eyes begin to clear after turning blue, and they all usually hang out in there for as long or as often as they like, and it really helps with the shedding process of either species.

Either species makes an excellent pet in my opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rather_unique
    Is it hard trying to handle a fully grown BP? I know it would be a while if I got one till it became fully grown but when I see pics of them it makes me thinks "woah how could I ever handle that" I understand it would probably be easier as I can handle my baby as it gets bigger and probably get used to it alot more then from baby to BAM full grown.
    Keep in mind if you get a male, it's not going to get much bigger than three feet in length and if you get a female, about four feet. To give you another reference, they can live as adults in an enclosure equivalent to a 30 gallon tank. I don't think handling an adult will be a big problem for you! Balls are not part of the giant snakes.

Another question is shedding...I realise BP's dont shed too well sometimes. This sort of scares me. What exactly do I do if say the BP's eyecaps to do come off? I would be soo worried if I couldnt help the poor thing.
    As long has you have good husbandry practices, shedding "shouldn't" be an issue. Get your enclosure set up before you get your new snake, make sure your warm side temps are 92-94 degrees and your cool side are 82-84 degrees and your humidity around 50% in non-shed (someone correct me on the humidity if that's incorrect) and bump up to about 70% when in shed. If you do have stuck eyecaps, don't panic, just come here and these fine folks will help you out!

My last question is eating...what do fully grown Bps eat? someone told me rabbits but I wasnt to sure on that

thanks for all your help
    Mine's not full grown, but from what I've read here, they thrive quite well on small rats once a week. I've never heard anyone feeding them rabbits though!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i have a BP thats maybe an inch or 2 over four feet and he's not hard to handle at all. it's not anything to worry about.
    -marshall

Thanks

thanks everyone...I truley think Im going to get a ball python. Im just so worried with the shedding but Ill come here and ask if theres a problem. Thanks Now i have to work on finishing persuading my parents...there still not convinced any advice on that?lol!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    Keep in mind if you get a male, it's not going to get much bigger than three feet in length and if you get a female, about four feet.

I have a male over 4 foot now, so dont count on that! And females can get up to 6 foot on the large side of the fence. Please read our caresheet: http://ball-pythons.net/modules.php?...warticle&id=52

Either way though, bp's are not hard to handle and are very wonderful snakes. However, they can be funny eaters at times, and it is the only down fall to the species itself that I can find. As far as shedding, give it a good soak in a tub of warm water, stuck shed comes off easily that way usually.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

BP's are wonderful snakes and their more easy, slow moving ways make them lovely to handle. Don't be mistaken though they can and will move like lightning if they want to LOL though it's more rare to see one move at that speed. Most are pretty lazy, hang around type snakes in temperment.

Don't fret about shedding. It's not at all abnormal to have a shed or two go wrong especially with any new snake. Good husbandry practises generally take care of that and if not there's tons of good advice here about helping get a bit of stuck shed off. We've all been through it at some time or another.

As far as getting a BP consider getting a nice normal male through a reputable breeder. They are generally very reasonably priced and make super nice pets. You can get one through a pet store but there's more of a chance for problems as they aren't always well cared for in pet stores. If there's a concern about your parents accepting a snake, the last thing you want is problems with it.

If you check out a lot of areas of this forum you will see lots of advice about setting up the environment first, whether you choose a glass tank or a plastic tub. Please don't get a heat rock (the pet stores push them but they are BAD!) Also read a lot here about how to let the snake settle in properly. Overhandling during the first weeks of ownership tend to cause more grief than it's worth.

As far as convincing your parents I guess that depends on your age and ability to care for your new snake properly. You might suggest they read with you on this forum to see the amount of information and support you can access. Also as a parent I would want to know this isn't a passing fancy but more a true desire to commit to caring for this snake for it's lifetime (which can be 20+ years).

Best of luck!

~~Joanna~~
    ~~Joanna~~