Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,937

0 members and 2,937 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Zelda’s Shenanigans

So, I figured it was no better time to start a thread on our newest Love than now. This is going to be her “progress thread”, if you will. She’s 7 yrs. old so I’m not too sure how much more progressing she’s gonna do. lol

Just got her home yesterday so I’m giving her a few days to settle in before feeding. The guy we got her from said it was definitely time to feed so we have a shipment of jumbo rats on the way. Not sure how to weigh a noodle this large but I do know she’s 6’3”. Without further a-due, I introduce you to Zelda.

A few pics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Shayne; 06-09-2019 at 10:36 PM.
    Carpe' Diem

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Bodie (06-09-2019),Bogertophis (06-09-2019),Dianne (06-10-2019),fadingdaylight (06-10-2019),jmcrook (06-09-2019),pretends2bnormal (06-09-2019),Reinz (06-13-2019),richardhind1972 (06-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Easy to weigh...just hold her & weigh both of you together, then subtract your own weight to get hers. (Or weigh her in a container, then subtract the weight
    of the empty container.) What happened to the diet she was going to be on? Large rats would be far better than jumbos (which tend to be fatty old breeders)
    but even when my BCI was 7.5' I still didn't feed her large rats, much less jumbo rats, & she was a healthy solid weight, not thin nor fat.
    Love the name Zelda, btw...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (06-10-2019),Shayne (06-09-2019)

Thanks

Re: Zelda’s Shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Easy to weigh...just hold her & weigh both of you together, then subtract your own weight to get hers. (Or weigh her in a container, then subtract the weight
    of the empty container.) What happened to the diet she was going to be on? Large rats would be far better than jumbos (which tend to be fatty old breeders)
    but even when my BCI was 7.5' I still didn't feed her large rats, much less jumbo rats, & she was a healthy solid weight, not thin nor fat.
    Love the name Zelda, btw...
    Duh! Never thought to just hold her and weigh myself. Yep, I feel like an idiot. lol

Well, my plan was to go from 2 jumbos every 3 weeks to just 1 jumbo every month. Didn't know about the fatties. Do the BCIs have the girth of the Dumerils? Every pic I come across, the "Dooms" are nice & thick.

Thanks! That's what the previous owner had named her and I just couldn't bring myself to change it now. Poor guy was heartbroken enough already.
    Carpe' Diem

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Duh! Never thought to just hold her and weigh myself. Yep, I feel like an idiot. lol

Well, my plan was to go from 2 jumbos every 3 weeks to just 1 jumbo every month. Didn't know about the fatties. Do the BCIs have the girth of the Dumerils? Every pic I come across, the "Dooms" are nice & thick.

Thanks! That's what the previous owner had named her and I just couldn't bring myself to change it now. Poor guy was heartbroken enough already.
    If he was heartbroken, why was he parting with her? And btw, I assume you ordered jumbo rats based on what he has been feeding her? Is it too late to change your
    order? (-if they haven't shipped yet?) Jumbo rats are retired breeders, & yes, high fat.

Weighing: not to worry, you're just excited & distracted by Zelda's beauty. Boas (Dumerils, BCI's+) all tend to be fairly thick, but keep in mind that several Dum-
    keepers here suggested she seems on the hefty side, and also that many captive boas are over-fed & over-weight, which isn't the healthiest for them. (like us, lol...)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shayne (06-10-2019)

Thanks

If he was heartbroken, why was he parting with her? And btw, I assume you ordered jumbo rats based on what he has been feeding her? Is it too late to change your
    order? (-if they haven't shipped yet?) Jumbo rats are retired breeders, & yes, high fat.

Weighing: not to worry, you're just excited & distracted by Zelda's beauty. Boas (Dumerils, BCI's+) all tend to be fairly thick, but keep in mind that several Dum-
    keepers here suggested she seems on the hefty side, and also that many captive boas are over-fed & over-weight, which isn't the healthiest for them. (like us, lol...)
    He had to part with her due to living with some folks who were dead-set against him having a snake of any kind. Not sure of all the details as it wasn't any of my business.

Yes, I ordered jumbos thinking if I just went to 1 every month, it would help. Nobody said anything about staying completely away from jumbos. Make sense? The "high in fat" makes sense to me. Just wish I would've known before ordering. My fault for not doing more research beforehand.

She is a beauty. I just want her healthy. Gonna order some "large".
    Carpe' Diem

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-10-2019),jmcrook (06-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    He had to part with her due to living with some folks who were dead-set against him having a snake of any kind. Not sure of all the details as it wasn't any of my business.

Yes, I ordered jumbos thinking if I just went to 1 every month, it would help. Nobody said anything about staying completely away from jumbos. Make sense? The "high in fat" makes sense to me. Just wish I would've known before ordering. My fault for not doing more research beforehand.

She is a beauty. I just want her healthy. Gonna order some "large".
    Oh, that IS sad that he couldn't keep her...poor guy. Now I see why you offered him "visitation"...very kind of you.

I bred my own rats for many years, just don't need to any more. I didn't think to say much as it's often mentioned in other threads here (about jumbos), & so many
    thought she looked on the "fluffy" side that I was surprised you ordered them, that's all. Snakes don't take kindly to "diets" so since that's what she's been fed (and
    two at a time!?) that alternating sizes for a while might work best, rather than an abrupt change. Doesn't look as though you'll have to beg her to eat, anyway.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (06-10-2019),Shayne (06-10-2019)

Thanks

Oh, that IS sad that he couldn't keep her...poor guy. Now I see why you offered him "visitation"...very kind of you.

I bred my own rats for many years, just don't need to any more. I didn't think to say much as it's often mentioned in other threads here (about jumbos), & so many
    thought she looked on the "fluffy" side that I was surprised you ordered them, that's all. Snakes don't take kindly to "diets" so since that's what she's been fed (and
    two at a time!?) that alternating sizes for a while might work best, rather than an abrupt change. Doesn't look as though you'll have to beg her to eat, anyway.
    Yes, now you see why he literally cried. 😢 I felt horrible but not enough to walk away. lol

I probably would've came across a few threads about jumbos being a "no-no" but my biggest is Monty, who just hit 670g. So, Zelda was the catalyst that pushed me into the "big" category for the 1st time. Saw the opportunity on social media, messaged the guy, bought a book, read the book, then drove to Baton Rouge yesterday. lol

Yep, I think that's what I'm gonna do, is alternate between "large" and "jumbo" until they're all gone. Went to check on her tonight and she came right up to the door, looking all ready to eat.
    Carpe' Diem

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-10-2019),richardhind1972 (06-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,487 Times in 2,686 Posts

Congrats Shayne! Zelda's a big beautiful girl!! I do agree that you would have been better off with the large rats but what's done is done. Just space those feedings out and she should be fine. Great critter addition!
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-10-2019),Shayne (06-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Congrats Shayne! Zelda's a big beautiful girl!! I do agree that you would have been better off with the large rats but what's done is done. Just space those feedings out and she should be fine. Great critter addition!
    Thanks, Ziggy!

Yea, I’m gonna do like BogerChic mentioned and just rotate between the large and jumbo until the jumbos are all gone. Then I’ll just switch to large permanently. She’s definitely a thick girl but she’s quickly becoming my favorite.

Carpe' Diem

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-13-2019),richardhind1972 (06-10-2019)

Thanks

Just wanted to share a few new pics of my newest girl. She had 2 large rats last night so this is her “fat & happy” position. She actually came up to me as soon as I sat in front of her enclosure as to say “thanks for da rats”.

Carpe' Diem

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Bodie (06-21-2019),Bogertophis (06-13-2019),EL-Ziggy (06-21-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast