Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,933

0 members and 2,933 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Exclamation Ball Python Wheezing / After Soak

so my heat tape is pretty funky & won't heat up to the right temps and I have to set it to like 105 to get the tape anywhere near 80.
    don't worry I got a heat gun and I make sure the heat in the basking spot isn't ever too hot.
    but my ball python is always burrowing in the spot trying to get warm.
    and my humidity is an issue, I'm trying to sort it all out by spraying warm water into the substrate instead of room temperature.
    but my ball python is a bit cold, around 72 F & was a bit slow when I took her out, she was very active and never allowed me to touch her head but now she doesn't react to it.
    her skin & scales is a bit loose so I assume its time for her first shed. I put some luke warm water in a bowl and slowly put her into it.
    she instantly went under and tried to leave.
    ever since she went under shes been wheezing, I haven't put her back into her back yet I'm just allowing her to squeeze around my neck and absorb some warmth.
    but yeah I can hear her wheezing sometimes & its a bit worry sum.
    [she has no discharge or bubbles.]
    I checked her face and its a bit pink but yeah there isn't anything other then a slight bit of skin shed which is odd cause she hasn't shed at all since I've had her.
    [about two-three weeks]

shes maybe 4-5 months old.
    yellow belly - got her at the las vegas expo.

any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Are you running your heat tape through a thermostat? That is extremely important and the most important piece of equipment for your snake.

Also, why the soak in the first place?

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Wheezing / After Soak

the probe is ontop of the heat tape and the heat tape is placed in a crevice which the tub slides over so the heat tape doesn't actually touch the plastic.
    its just how the rack was build :/

and the soak was more or less just to warm up the snake I suppose since it was constantly burrowing trying to get super close to the tape.
    as well as possibly helping her with the shed.

I'm not very experienced with ball pythons but her skin is pretty loose and her nose is slightly flakey aswell as her eyes being slightly cloudy.
    so I assumed 1-2 minutes of soaking then a dry off wouldn't hurt.

edit: the heat-tape & probe is controlled by a herpstat ez1.

I emailed the people that build the system but they don't seem to answer emails.
    Last edited by III; 06-08-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Ok, so your heat is regulated, very good. That's a common beginner mistake. But you're already good there. Nice!

You make sense with your logic behind the soak. I like that you're thinking outside the box,so to speak.
    Unfortunately, most species of snakes aren't big fans of water and don't like soaks. There are obviously exceptions to the rule,but BPs that enjoy a soak are very rare.

The only time I soak any of mine are if they're a bit "backed up" and sausage butt is forming, a soak will usually help them relieve themselves.

Now on to the temps. Based on how you're describing the setup, it seems like you'll need to crank that tstat to achieve a hot spot of 88-89.
    Just gradually turn it up a few degrees and check it, turn it up and check it, etc...until you reach your desired temps.

What temp is the room the snake is in? If it's cool in there you may need an additional heat source.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    I think the "wheezing" you're hearing is just a little water in her nostrils, & maybe combined with some loosening skin for the upcoming shed. Should resolve
    on it's own, but as Craig said, it sounds like you might need a second heat source, one that warms the air so she doesn't have to burrow down to the UTH.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-08-2019),Zincubus (06-09-2019)

Thanks

the cool spot is around 75 at all times, never really goes above that.
    I dig the substrate from under the heat area and check it as quickly as I can before it dissipates from not being on the tape.
    its usually 78-82 but never goes higher.
    but I'm afraid to set the temp to the full cap which is 110 which I assume there is a reason for.

not sure what to do.

~edit
    its a v70 single rack.
    so I can't really do anything about the heat unless I just buy a new setup.
    any good websites on cages racks & tubs cause I really need to buy more but the herpstore near me sells mediocre racks for like 800 and they aren't even worth it.
    Last edited by III; 06-08-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    As hopefully you know already (from reading the care-sheets here?) BPs need more warmth than 82* (where they are actually laying, not what the thermostat says
    in order to achieve that, but what the snake actually has available), so this needs fixing ASAP or you'll have a sick BP & a vet bill too. The cool side should be 77-80*
    and the warm side should be about 87-88* (not over 90*), & this is why we suggest setting up a cage & running the heat for at least a week to test it out before trying
    to have a new snake live in it. It takes time to acquire the right equipment- if you don't have it locally, you can find most things online, from places like Reptile Basics.

Hope you get right on this...but in the meantime you can easily provide more warmth with an overhead red or black* incandescent bulb in a reflector-type fixture & for
    SURE run it with a rheostat (lamp dimmer) at the very least. *Most snakes don't like bright lights, thus red or black bulbs give heat & far less light...can be used over-
    night too, for now, until you get a more appropriate heat source (etc) figured out. Every situation is different....sounds like your room is cold (?) making it harder to
    keep heat in the cage.

https://www.reptilebasics.com/

https://beanfarm.com/
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-08-2019 at 07:58 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by III View Post
    the cool spot is around 75 at all times, never really goes above that.
    I dig the substrate from under the heat area and check it as quickly as I can before it dissipates from not being on the tape.
    its usually 78-82 but never goes higher.
    but I'm afraid to set the temp to the full cap which is 110 which I assume there is a reason for.

not sure what to do.

~edit
    its a v70 single rack.
    so I can't really do anything about the heat unless I just buy a new setup.
    any good websites on cages racks & tubs cause I really need to buy more but the herpstore near me sells mediocre racks for like 800 and they aren't even worth it.
    I don't have experience with racks, so I'm not familiar with the specifics of the rack you're using.
    But, I know people use back heat as well as belly heat on some racks. Is that an option with yours?

That would allow the back heat to raise ambient temps while using the belly heat to supply a hot spot.

Again, I'm not familiar with that specific rack (although I see it used by many people) but if this is an option it may solve your problems.

Like bogertophis mentioned, this is why it's so important to be prepared before bringing the animal home. It's a HUGE part of keeping these amazing animals. Having your equipment set up, dialed in and running saves a TON of stress in you, and more importantly, the animal.
    But, this is how we learn. You'll be all set up and ready to go before bringing your next snake home

Any which way, time is of the essence here, so you'll have to figure something out sooner than later.

Good luck, please keep us posted and don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-09-2019)