Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,017

2 members and 3,015 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Question for breeders that work with piebald

So I just finally added piebald into my projects and I wanted to ask people who have experience with the a question about how they look. I've noticed that some combos have a very distinct black outline to the white areas and some it is completely non existent. Is this variance due to the individual pied animal or is it specific to the other morphs that are in the combo. For instance, if an animal has it, is it passed down or will it be determined by what morphs you add to the combo. Basically can any pied make babies that have it depending on the combo or will only animals that have it pass it down? I personally love it and the animal I purchased does have it. Just want to know if I need to select certain morphs to keep it or if since my girl has it, I can expect all her babies to have it or if it's just completely random.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Question for breeders that work with piebald

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    So I just finally added piebald into my projects and I wanted to ask people who have experience with the a question about how they look. I've noticed that some combos have a very distinct black outline to the white areas and some it is completely non existent. Is this variance due to the individual pied animal or is it specific to the other morphs that are in the combo. For instance, if an animal has it, is it passed down or will it be determined by what morphs you add to the combo. Basically can any pied make babies that have it depending on the combo or will only animals that have it pass it down? I personally love it and the animal I purchased does have it. Just want to know if I need to select certain morphs to keep it or if since my girl has it, I can expect all her babies to have it or if it's just completely random.
    The black tipping around the saddles will mainly be determine by type of gene you are adding, the black tipping will generally develop over time too.

Regular Pied same animal over time black tipping non existent when it hatched and than several years later

Genes that will enhance the black tipping around the saddles are genes like Pinstripe, Black Pastel, Leopard

Pinstripe Pied

Black Pastel Pied

Pastel Leopard Pied

Yellow Belly seems to reduce the amount of it so does Enchi

Pastel Yellow Belly Pied

Pastel Enchi Leopard Pied

Enchi Pinstripe Pied

Pastel Leopard Yellow Belly Pied

Than you have animals with no black tipping at all

Coral Glow Pied

Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alicia (06-07-2019),bcr229 (06-07-2019),Bogertophis (06-07-2019),cincy (06-07-2019),Medoc (06-08-2019),pretends2bnormal (06-07-2019),Reptilius (06-09-2019),rufretic (06-07-2019),TopNotchPythons (08-29-2019),tttaylorrr (06-07-2019)

Thanks
    Above and beyond Deborah!

Thank you so much for the very informative response, it's much appreciated

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (06-07-2019)

Thanks

It's interesting that yellow belly reduces it because my yellow belly girl has it pretty strong. Is it variable or would it be more likely my girl doesn't have yellow belly? She's oranger than any normal pied I've seen so I didn't have any doubts about the yellow belly but now I'm wondering.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It's interesting that yellow belly reduces it because my yellow belly girl has it pretty strong. Is it variable or would it be more likely my girl doesn't have yellow belly? She's oranger than any normal pied I've seen so I didn't have any doubts about the yellow belly but now I'm wondering.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    It does with Pastel added to it it's all about the multiple amount of genes you put in the animal.

Pastel Leopard Pied for example heavy black tipping, add YB and it washed them away.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

rufretic (06-07-2019)

Thanks
    How hard is it for you to ID morphs in pieds? I'm just getting started looking at them but I have to be honest, there isn't many I'd feel comfortable IDing, enchi and leopard maybe but it is definitely more challenging with how pied completely destroys pattern. Do you have a guess for me for my girl, do you think she looks like she could be yellow belly? Yellow belly has always been difficult for me but in pied, forget about it lol.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

How hard is it for you to ID morphs in pieds? I'm just getting started looking at them but I have to be honest, there isn't many I'd feel comfortable IDing, enchi and leopard maybe but it is definitely more challenging with how pied completely destroys pattern. Do you have a guess for me for my girl, do you think she looks like she could be yellow belly? Yellow belly has always been difficult for me but in pied, forget about it lol.
    The hardest is Leopard depending what else is in it, for example leopard pied it's hard and they can be very variable, pastel leopard pied are very easy because of the head stamp (also with age it goes away but when they hatch it's unmistakeable)

Sometime a lot of it is about comparing with offsprings from the same clutch, and when you hatch something that has never been done before you take your best guess, ask people what they think, when I hatched the first Enchi Pin Pied and Pastel Leopard YB Pied no one had done it so I went by elimination based on what I knew and comparing the siblings and turn to some friends.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

rufretic (06-07-2019)

Thanks
    Very cool, thanks again. It's funny that leopard is actually the hard one, for some reason, leopard always stands out to me even in the pieds. It has something to do with the head and eyes, leopards have something different about them that I can't pinpoint but I can just see leopard. Now I have not seen that many pied leopard but so far the ones I have I still see the leopard in the same way. They are actually one of my favorite if not the very favorite individual morph so maybe that helps

You still didn't give me your thoughts on mine so I'm guessing you're not feeling confident that it has any traits that make it definite one way or the other. Basically what you said about comparing it to siblings so at this point I'll give the breeder the benefit of the doubt and see what happens when I start breeding her.

Thanks again for all the help and sharing your experience, you're a huge asset to this forum. I'm sure a lot of other members agree but I really do appreciate it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Actually missed your question while YB can become harder to identify when they gain size and they can be very variable, here are the things I look for.

Pixelation

Head stamp

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

rufretic (06-07-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Actually missed your question while YB can become harder to identify when they gain size and they can be very variable, here are the things I look for.

Pixelation

Head stamp

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Excellent! Now those are things I could look for in the future. I did notice she had a bit of a head stamp but I'm not familiar enough with pieds to know if those traits were typical. I'll continue to do my research but just from this thread I feel like I've already learned a ton. Thank you.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast