Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,185

0 members and 1,185 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

need help with quirky BP and substrate please!!!

Hi all.
    I have a little lemonblast BP that is almost a year old. I have always lined his tank with paper towels just so he doesn’t swallow wood chips. Well I decided to go ahead and use aspen bedding now that’s he's a little older. Problem is he absolutely refuses to touch it. It’s been about 24 hours now and he still will not touch it. Question is how long do I leave him to get used to it before I determine I’m stressing him out? He’s such a quirky little guy and a great eater lol. But I don’t want to stress him out. Has anyone else experienced this? He is literally laying on top of his hide and refuses to even touch the aspen with any part of his body. Also how long is too long to leave him like that?
    thanks in advance guys!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Honestly, I personally can't stand Aspen, especially for BPs and similar species, or any species with specific humidity needs. I only use it for my Hognose because he loves to burrow and it holds his tunnels.

You're much better off with a coco coir substrate. I use a blend of Eco Earth and ReptiBark. I've been using it for years. It holds humidity well, spot cleans easily, looks naturalistic and there aren't any big chunks I'm worried about the snakes eating.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I also do not like aspen for BP's. I only use it for mY Pueblan. I use reptile prime for my BP's
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-07-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    All of mine are on Aspen and have had zero issues. I may switch to coco but I was having too high humidity issues even when fully dried out. (I'll try again in new area to test).
    All that said I've never heard of Anything like this. How thick is the substrate? Maybe clear the Aspen from under hot hide. All mine push it out anyways for contact with bottom of tub.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: need help with quirky BP and substrate please!!!

Orchid/ Repti bark for all mine !!
    Looks great (and natural) makes your snakes look fabulous and helps keep the humidity up ...

I detest Aspen as it’s the exact opposite to all of the above plus it gets all over the flaming house and carpets ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-07-2019)