Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,918

0 members and 1,918 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: Cage swap

Thanks

Cage swap

Hello, friends!

Just looking for a bit of advice. I currently have two snakes, a Dumeril's Boa and a Tanimbar Scrub Python, who are both approximately 3 years of age. The scrub is due for a cage upgrade for a couple of reasons, but primarily because it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep the humidity up in his Exo Terra. He is housed in a 36x18x24 with plexiglass siliconed into 75% of his screen top. The Dum is in a 48x24x18 PVC.

A larger PVC for him is on my list, but not going to happen in the immediate future, so my thought is that I should switch their enclosures. Yeah, it sucks that he loses 6 inches of height, but if he will gain alot of floor space, so if he has plenty of branches, he can still bask. She will likely not use the height, but is far less active anyway. She requires lower humidity and will be fine in the Exo Terra with hardly any effort required and the PVC will hold humidity MUCH better for him. I just think proper humidity levels are more important than space at the moment and he's had 2 icky sheds in a row, along with some temperament change.

Ok, so now you have the background. I need to clean both cages thoroughly before swapping and because I am dealing with a monstrous case of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, this is a massive project. Ideally, I want to get them both done at the same time so that neither gets put into an enclosure that has the scent of another snake. Part of me thinks I'm being way OCD about it, because the wild has plenty of other snakes in it....But in the event that I have to wait a day or so between cleanings, do you think that's fine? Or should I just call for backup and be sure they're both done together?

It is, of course, possible that I am wasting time thinking about something incredibly trivial in lieu of actually doing it. Oh, first world problems...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Re: Cage swap

Switching enclosures sounds like a good move for now. I'd clean and disinfect both cages together and make it an easy swap.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Switching enclosures sounds like a good move for now. I'd clean and disinfect both cages together and make it an easy swap.
    Thanks, Z! I do think this is the best course as well. As a bonus, no more hiding on the back side of his cage between the glass and the wall😉

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

If you've got secure tubs/bags for during cleaning and a warm-ish place to keep them, they should be just fine if you end up needing to take a break in the middle too.

A few hours is not that bad compared to a shipping box overnight with more variable temps.

Doing both at once seems much more straightforward than figuring out another way. And it does sound like they would benefit from the swap.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Clean and swap happened today! Seems like a pretty good compromise. Both are slightly confused and checking out their new digs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

dakski (06-11-2019),Reinz (06-11-2019)