Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,628

1 members and 2,627 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Rat condo ready to go, critiques?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Algae wouldn't have crossed my mind either. Maybe it's still in the black tubing...you just can't see it? (LOL)

You could maybe use some black duct or electrical tape to wrap this tubing if you don't want to switch it out.

Anyway, looks good otherwise. Given the choice & not thinking about algae, I'd have chosen clear tubing as well, to be able to
    see any issues in the tubing. Wonder if you could prevent the algae by occasionally pumping out the tubing w/ something to clean it?

No need to replace tubing i add 5ml of bleach each time i fill up and that keeps the tubes cleat of algae

Thanks

Also, be sure to check the no-drip nozzles everyday. Lost a small colony due to clogged nozzle. I never gave it a thought before that. Now they get checked at least once a day for water flow.

Thanks

I’ve already swapped out the tubing. But that doesn’t sound like a bad idea to periodically add a little bleach to cleans the tubing and nozzles.
    I typically give a random sampling of nozzles a test when I check on them girls and their babies. And check them all on their weekly bedding change. But that’s not a bad idea to Check them all each day. Especially since it’s only 10-12 tubs depending on if im using the grow out tubs.
    I did expand into the second tower with 3 females per tub. Though some tubs have 2 females due to the occasional girl dying with birthing a litter. At this point I have lost 4 girls in 8 months due to birthing problems. To replace them I just hold back a young one from that tubs current litter and grow her up.
    It’s been pretty enjoyable raising the rats. They are very curious animals during their daily checks and have good temperaments. Though it’s been taking several months for them to acclimate to being picked up and not squirming. My first batch of girls are good about being held. Though the younger girls are calming down.

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12