Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,104

1 members and 3,103 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

gecko afraid of me!!??

Hey guys!!! Lenetta is eating well, but won't let me watch her. In fact, whenever I notice that she's not hiding underneath the humid hide (I use a plastic tupperware container with a hole cut into the side and the edges melted down to keep her from getting cut), she either goes under her humid hide or goes into one of her other hides. Is this normal during the first week or so? If so, what should I do to convince her that I'm not a threat ? Also, would bsfl, butterworms, or something else help? thx.

Coyote peterson

Thanks

Re: gecko afraid of me!!??

If she's new I wouldn't try handling right away. There needs to be established trust first for her sake. For the first few weeks when changing water or food just gently rub her with your finger while in the enclosure. Eventually she'll understand your not a threat and then it'll be easier to handle. Even still keeping handling to a minimum at first as to not stress her out. Baby steps will go a long way. The world is a big scary place to her and a big human is super scary. She'll come around in time with enough patience.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-04-2019),Coyote peterson (06-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    As Toad37 said, this is normal...it just takes time & patience. Remember that even captive-bred reptiles are WILD animals, not "domestic", so they rely on their
    instincts (like fear) to stay safe. Most learn to trust us in time...but it can take longer for some than others. Try to imagine if YOU were that tiny & some "giant"
    wanted to pick you up? You wouldn't assume that giant was your buddy...you'd think you were their "snack".

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Coyote peterson (06-04-2019),Toad37 (06-04-2019)