Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,811

1 members and 2,810 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

I have some questions and want some advice please.

Hello

Im Joshua, I just got a new ball python. I am new to this pet, but i have kept chameleons and geckos before.I have had my ball python called "Udon", for over 1 and a half week now. The shop keeper says that he is a male, and 3 years old. I could not measure his weight but he is about 70cm. I have taken him out a 2-3 times before, the first time i took him out he was chill and just sat on my hand as a ball. That night he was exploring his cage and i tried to change his water bowl, i accidentally touched his tail gently and he just looked at me and bit me, even though it didn't hurt I am now scared to handle him. One time i took him out and put him on my table. I went to the bathroom and when i came back he was on the floor. i tried to pick him up and put him in his cage but he kept attacking me, nonstop, even if i approached him from the back.

I live in hong kong where the temp and humidity is pretty high so i dont need anything for him.

I have had a cave shaped hide for him before, but I took the hide off to take him out of his cage for me to handle, now he does not go in his hide anymore, i had to make another one.

I also observed 2 hook like things, that looked like bones and are hard near his tail on the bottom. It does not retract into his body or anything.

He is eating good, he ate on the second day already.

And he hasnt puked or anything.

So my questions are:
    - Should i remove his hide and take him out to be handled?
    - How do i handle him without him biting me
    - What morph is he
    - How do i tell his sex without pressing on his belly and making his penis come out or something.
    - How do i "tame" him?

Thanks

Thanks

Re: I have some questions and want some advice please.

Thanks

Nice looking snake! I’m kind of going through the same issue with a Pumpkin Pied female my wife recently got as far as the biting part. I get her out every day and hold her for 30 min or so. Over the last week she has calmed down a good bit but still strikes occasionally. If you are keeping him/her in a terrarium then you definitely need 2 hides for him/her to feel safe. One on the warm side and one on the cool side. More than likely it’s biting you because it’s scared and has not adjusted to its new home. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

As far as sexing popping or probing are the only 2 ways I’m aware of. The previous owner should be able to tell you the morph and sex.

Thanks

He/she needs a hot and cool spot also. It’s hot and humid here where I’m from and I still supply a source of belly heat and keep check on the humidity. Go buy a properly sized UTH and a controller/thermostat for it.

Thanks

i will get one more hide later in a few hours. But in Hong Kong, avg temp is about 24-30 celcius. I turned the light on for 5-10 mins and she started striking at air. I forgot to mention this in the actual post

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I agree. So should I just leave her for a few more weeks to settle in?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I agree. So should I just leave her for a few more weeks to settle in?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joshwah View Post
    Hello
    I also observed 2 hook like things, that looked like bones and are hard near his tail on the bottom. It does not retract into his body or anything.
    Thanks
    Those are called spurs and they are remnants of what used to be legs before they evolved without them, all ball pythons have them so it's completely normal, just part of the snake.

As for the snake striking, it probably needs more time to settle in and like stated above your ball python needs a hide on the warm side at around 90 degrees and a hide on the cool side at around 80 degrees. The humidity should be around 55% unless your snake is shedding then it needs to go up to 70% for the duration of the shed. I see you have him in a glass terrarium, I suggest putting a background on 3 sides to make your snake feel more secure. Once he feels comfortable in his new home he should settle down and stop striking, sounds like right now you have a scared snake and his only way of protecting himself is by biting. Just remember you look like a giant predator to him right now and he needs to get used to you too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-01-2019)

Thanks

Is that temp inside your home or out?

Thanks

Both, I sometimes turn on the AC at like 23-24 celcius

Thanks

Just now i had the warm light on, he suddenly came out and started striking at nothing, at air. this is so scary i thought he was having a seizure. I also have a question, are ball pythons more aggressive at night?