Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,249

0 members and 1,249 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Show me them snake yawns

Wow, that's awesome! Bad day for the prey that gets that double-fang bite though. I wonder if the snake can inject venom through two sets of fangs while they are both still attached?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    I love the awesome mirror shot of that yawn. Fanged snakes will grow out new fangs then shed out the old ones so it is possible to see snakes with 4 fangs at a time.

Not my snake, just found the picture on google to show you:
    This is not how it typically works... Normally, the old fangs fall out first, usually lost in prey but can sometimes be found in their cage or water bowl. I have a little
    collection of fangs... The snake pictured with double-fangs is an aberration as far as I know...can't say if all 4 can actually inject venom at the same time or not,
    but they appear to all be solidly attached, so maybe so?

When a normal rattlesnake sheds their fangs, they aren't without them for long...maybe a few days at most, as the new ones come down from the roof of their mouth.

Too bad we poor humans can't just shed our old teeth & get nice new replacements, eh? Especially with the high cost of dentistry, not to mention the discomfort.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-19-2019 at 09:58 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    This is not how it typically works... Normally, the old fangs fall out first, usually lost in prey but can sometimes be found in their cage or water bowl. I have a little
    collection of fangs... The snake pictured with double-fangs is an aberration as far as I know...can't say if all 4 can actually inject venom at the same time or not,
    but they appear to all be solidly attached, so maybe so?

When a normal rattlesnake sheds their fangs, they aren't without them for long...maybe a few days at most, as the new ones come down from the roof of their mouth.

Too bad we poor humans can't just shed our old teeth & get nice new replacements, eh? Especially with the high cost of dentistry, not to mention the discomfort.
    Thanks for correcting me, I watched a documentary that said they grow the fangs then shed the old ones after the new ones are ready. I just figured they always grew like that because a fang-less venomous snake is quite gimped. I guess they just hide when they're in "fang-less mode". That'd be awesome to have some shed fangs, I didn't even know they shed those till recently.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    Thanks for correcting me, I watched a documentary that said they grow the fangs then shed the old ones after the new ones are ready. I just figured they always grew like that because a fang-less venomous snake is quite gimped. I guess they just hide when they're in "fang-less mode". That'd be awesome to have some shed fangs, I didn't even know they shed those till recently.
    Maybe they didn't explain it very well. The "new" fangs are embedded in the roof of their mouth, & I've seen pictures taken at just the right moment when the old fangs
    are at an angle ( clearly on their way out) while the others aren't far behind (like when we're kids & our adult teeth help to push out our "baby teeth"), but these (in photo
    above) are side-by-side, and not normal or typical. Rattlesnake fangs are mostly used for catching food, which they don't do every day, so a day or two isn't a big deal...
    yes, I would think they might lay low (just like when in shed) but I never noticed any behavior difference from those I kept, & they did their fair share of shedding fangs.

Most of the fangs came loose when they bit their f/t prey, so while I'd find some fangs in the cages, I saw many more in their stool & I didn't fish them out to save, lol.
    I had to wonder if the fangs swallowed ever caused them any internal issues, but apparently not...they seemingly get swept along their digestive tract with the other
    indigestible stuff (like rodent fur) & get harmlessly expelled. Since their old fangs often came loose in their prey, they'd naturally just be laying low & digesting
    at the time their new fangs would be coming in anyway. Interesting "room-mates" for sure.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-19-2019 at 11:46 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (06-20-2019),Valyndris (06-20-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12