Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,683

3 members and 2,680 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Made Some Upgrades...Will it Help with Feeding

I made some upgrades (see pics) to the enclosure as I have received a couple of PMs from folks saying that he may be stressed due to environmental issues in his enclosure. I ditched the log hide for a more "professional" model, and added sphagnum moss inside both hides to help with humidity retention. I feed on Sundays, so hopefully doing this tonight will give him enough time to settle down to eat. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I think the next thing I'm going to do is buy more plants to put around on the back and sides of the glass to make it more of a private enclosure but other than that I am not sure what else I could do. Any help would be awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    One thing I liked to do when I used glass terrariums was get aquarium backing paper and tape it to the outside of the cage around the back and sides. It looks nice and then the snake doesn't feel so exposed. I've also used black poster board which can be left black or can draw big leaves/vines on it. Just an idea to help
    For the Horde!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-30-2019),embers (05-30-2019),indygunnerguy (05-30-2019),pretends2bnormal (05-30-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,798 Times in 11,829 Posts
    Same here: scenery is nice, neatly taped on, or just dark plain paper/cardboard...& since you live in a colder climate, you can insulate behind the paper with
    various easily-obtained materials to keep warmth in the cage where your BP needs it. As AbsoluteApril said, black poster board (it has a foam core) or some
    ppl use styro-foam sheets cut to fit, even corrugated cardboard or a roll of cork sheeting will work. The white walls behind this enclosure reflect more light
    than most snakes appreciate, so covering the back, sides & most of the bottom* will take care of that too. (*if using UTH, remember it does need to be vented)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-30-2019 at 09:52 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

indygunnerguy (05-30-2019),Valyndris (05-30-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Honestly considering the size of the animal, the hide is TOO big, it should be snug fitting like a shell fits a turtle, same for the enclosure I would wait until the snake is at least 250 grams and a consistent feeder to move him in this type of enclosure.

This is what I would do https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-hatchling-101

Keep in mind that this is a very young animal and getting it back on track asap if not eating for you is something that needs to be done sooner than later.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Just out of curiosity - have you seen Gargamel using his hides after you added the sphagnum moss? Some snakes don't mind the moss at all, or might even like it, but I know my boy Iggy objected to it pretty strongly, lol.

I was trying to ensure a good shed so I added some slightly damp (not soggy) terrarium moss to line the bottom of his favorite hide, which is one of those little enclosed rock caves. He started slithering into it, and I saw the exact moment he stopped short, decided he didn't like the smell, and U-turned right back outta there. Gave him some time to get used to the change and give it another chance, and he just wasn't having it. I then removed the moss, but since some of the smell still lingered, he went into the hide and then came back out again after just a few seconds. Finally, I thoroughly washed the hide so there was no smell remaining, and he deemed this acceptable, went back in immediately, and stayed.
    Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")
    2022 Albino Super Lesser - Cyrus ("Cy")

Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")
    2019 Sharp Blizzard - Elysium ("Elys")

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

Jayden (05-31-2019)