Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,830

1 members and 2,829 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Re: Almost A Disaster!!

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I don't disagree, but I would think the landlord would be aware of the risks prior to allowing the pets in the first place
    This is why I posted what I did:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirakuru View Post
    Yup! LL knows about snake and kitty....He doesn't rent to people with dogs, but no issue with snakes (yet?) I don't think he even knows they need a heat source like that.
    Not according to the OP... & IMO, this (ie. the damage done) is a risky way to introduce the topic.

While I can't think of anything that would make such a mark on the floor, another way to handle this is to "damage" over the damage-
    in other words, scrape it with heavy furniture or something that obscures the burn & makes for a better story to replace the damage.

It's been a long time since I rented, but I can sympathize with landlords...however, I've also had them try to take advantage of me,
    & they even admitted they tried to keep MY deposit to cover damages ($ lost) from a different tenant! (I fought them & won...)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-30-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks
    I did something similar the first day I got my thermostat for the UTE mat- plugged in the CHE by mistake, and it was sitting on top of one of the glass panels I commissioned for the top of the tank. Heard a weird sound and smelled a bit of something burning beforehand discovering that it had cracked the glass panel underneath with such a hot temp! (had it turned away up because the UTE wasn't getting any hotter lmao) Was not happy about having to buy another one :'v

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quarks For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-31-2019),Mirakuru (05-31-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quarks View Post
    I did something similar the first day I got my thermostat for the UTE mat- plugged in the CHE by mistake, and it was sitting on top of one of the glass panels I commissioned for the top of the tank. Heard a weird sound and smelled a bit of something burning beforehand discovering that it had cracked the glass panel underneath with such a hot temp! (had it turned away up because the UTE wasn't getting any hotter lmao) Was not happy about having to buy another one :'v
    Omg that's such a bummer!! I'm sure you know mistakes happen like now I know about my own. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks
    Under the heading of personal damage, I've heard of keepers getting burned when they touch a hot CHE too: they're used to using lights that are obvious when
    on (hot), they forget & touch the CHE thinking it's off...ouch!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

We've all made dumb mistakes in life. They tend to teach us to be more careful, you'll never do something like that again. If that is your worst one in your life it won't be too bad. Some people have made dumb mistakes and caused loss of life to family and loved ones, others, property.etc. Think of the ones that caused the forest fire in Calif.
    I once put on grease on a hot stove to cook french fries and then decided I was gonna take a bath. I was in the bath tub and smelled smoke. I came out to see flames reaching to the ceiling so I then headed to the sink with the pot on fire and a voice in my head said don't do that. I put a rug over it so I charred the ceiling and the floor. My neighbor lady seen the commotion and came and swung open the side door. I was naked on the floor. I grabbed some clothes quick the fire department came. Gave me some oxygen because of all the smoke. I also rented, my land lady and land lord forgave me. I had to fix it though if I remember right at my expense.

I now try to be more careful when something can cause a fire. Like I use the microwave instead of the stove a lot of the time. I decided to quit using che's because they get so hot and you cant tell when they are on or off. I now use heat bulb ( night dark type ) and I always turn them off and tilt them with the dome's upside down with the bulb toward the ceiling. You could change from che's to heat bulbs ( night type ) and tell your land lord you got rid of the che's and don't plan on using them anymore. Tell him you now thing they can be dangerous. ( and they can be ) That way the heat source responsible ( along with your forgetting ) will no longer be around to cause him worry.

If you lie the first time one of your room mates gets mad at you and tells your landlord what really happened you will more likely be out. Might put you out if you tell the truth too but you will have least told the truth. I use 100 watt zilla black light bulbs and it's on a thermostat I actually use 2 on a 40 gal. screen topped critter cage. both on thermostat's. They actually heat the ambient better imo. Let us know what happens I am sure we are all concerned.

Used car dealers are known for being shady. Lets hope snake keepers don't earn themselves the same reputation. I'd like to be known for being honest regardless whether it was my fault or not. Just my opinion.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-31-2019)

Thanks
    Are you allowed to smoke in the apartment? A dropped cigar, if left long enough, could realistically create a nice round burn that size after a little while.
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-31-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fadingdaylight View Post
    Are you allowed to smoke in the apartment? A dropped cigar, if left long enough, could realistically create a nice round burn that size after a little while.
    I like the way you think...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234