Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,131

1 members and 3,130 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snake Phobia

Thanks

Snake Phobia

Ok I must admit that before I purchased a Ball Python I had a fear of snakes. I went thru these little phobia classes to get over my fear, it was worth it, now I can pick my pets up like its nothing. Any of you all had a snake phobia at first? Would did you do to get over it?

Thanks

Re: Snake Phobia

My girlfriend has a snake phobia that she just can't get over. What classes did you take? It would be awesome if she could enjoy these fine creatures with me!

Thanks

My husband has a phobia of them - his mother has always hated them and I'm afraid has instilled this fear in him from when he was little. Ugh - horrible smelly slimy things!! Problem is he doesn't even want to get over his phobia ...

Thanks

my boyfriend did too, trick is to slowly get them used to it, first you get them to handle it being around, then feel them, and so on, it worked for him, now hes got one of his own and he wont leave it alone!
    Jacqui
    2.1 balls Houdini, King James and Cleopatra
    and now...Miss B

Thanks

There was a guy in Florida a yr ago that raised pythons, I told him I wanted one soon but I was scared of snakes from childhood memories. He told me him and his wife offered snake/reptile training classes on weekend and it was free. So I took the classes for about 2 months. I remember having this 5ft python crawling over me, I thought I was gonna faint. He just crawled around and seemed to enjoy being handled.

Now when I bought my 2 baby pythons from Petco, the lady who was getting them for me was terrified and she was serioulsy shaking. I told her I could reach down and grab them if she wanted...lol. Although mine are just babies now, I know they will grow bigger, so I try to interact with them as much as I can to build that trust.

Thanks

oh man, i love these guys, awesome temprement and i find it so calming just to hold them
    Jacqui
    and now...Miss B

Thanks

my grandma has a real phobia of them she'll like faint if she see's one (well almost)
    ~Courtney

Thanks

That's pretty cool; snake-phobia classes! I think that more places should offer those.
    I never had a phobia of them, but friends of mine had. When they visited and merely touched one of my snakes, it was a huge step for them. Seeing how they were harmless and not slimy, most people who I have seen touch one for the first time, go away feeling much less afraid.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

i know, isnt it weird how so many people think snakes are slimy? so not true
    Jacqui
    and now...Miss B

Thanks

What we do with anyone we know that's afraid of snakes is let them see our kids of varying ages handling our snakes with confidence. Makes a lot of adults feel sorta comforted that a kid can be "safe" with a Ball Python. Also I try to get them to focus not on the whole "big scarey" snake but on something specific like a pretty pattern on the snake or how it's muscles move so beautifully under it's scales or whatever. I always encourage our less snake loving friends to just touch the snake gently down it's body well away from the head (which I make sure is under control) so they can have a small experience of how lovely a snake feels without feeling "threatened" by the worry of getting bitten.

The only thing I wonder about is if snakes can pick up a fear scent from a human much like a dog can. Since I'm not sure, I'm always more careful that the snake is under good control around folks that are scared in case it makes one of our snakes react differently than it usually would.

Amazes me how often people have no basis for their fear of snakes and are quickly fascinated with ours. If someone is really phobic though it's not kind or fair to push them too fast to be around a snake.....real phobia is a tough thing to deal with.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast