Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,830

1 members and 2,829 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Sooo someone didn’t want this girl...

Yeah now I have it. Vet said it’s healthy, came in a 20l cage with an internal bulb for heat and basking. A really cool enclosure but not for a beardie.
    I’ve never owned one of these and so I figured I’d come here for a few questions.
    Thermostat with a Che for heat, and a separate uvb bulb would be ideal correct? Was thinking a 40b zilla enclosure as it has the convenience of the locking screen lid, and I can get a deal on it new.
    For substrate was going to use paper towel until I can get tiles to fit, some log hides a walk in water bowl and some basking spots.

Now for the beardie. Has an orangish color so that’s cool, supposedly it’s “in shed” and is “about one year” and they no longer wanted it.
    The very tip of tail looks almost pinched, get said keep an eye on it it may fall off it may not depending on how fresh the injury even is (the previous owners didn’t notice it somehow..)
    She seems... thin? I’ve never owned a beardie before, but I can see the outlines of ribs, but not deep rib lines. What’s a good fatten em up food for them? Maybe wax and hornworms once a week with supers crickets and new worms plus veggies?
    Everything else seems healthy. No mbd from what little I know, the red spot on the mouth isn’t blood it’s peppers lol. Nice temperament. Hated me but then saw I gave it veggies and had been super interested in me since. I think it was getting mostly bugs with “a powder” and those pellet food garbage they sell at lps’s.

Any and all I put appreciate, the setup will be purchased and ready for them tonight, but I wana monitor the thermostat and Che for maybe the night before tossing her in so we don’t cook her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Solidsnek For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-28-2019)

Thanks

Sooo someone didn’t want this girl...

Here’s the cage. Also she likes the window (it’s hot out)

Edit.
    So the cage is a solid wood frame, some sort of white coating inside it. Has a vent (no fan) and a long uvb fluorescent tube as well as a separate basking bulb (no cage around ether )
    What can this be used for after getting the correct setup today. Worth keeping or is it trash/just sell it?
    I still have a budget to consider obviously, but some get trips and the proper husbandry of a new family member aren’t an issue in that regards. Not looking for another pet for the small cage but more potential to keep it lol.

Last edited by Solidsnek; 05-28-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks
    pics please!
    dust food with D3 powder.
    they like to perch up high and also snuggle so something to climb up on and then maybe a hammock.
    wax worms and dubia are probably the best. hornworms ok. superworms are harder for them to digest. i cannot chime in about crickets as i refuse to bring those into the house. the best green for them are "greens" not lettuce or spinach, so mustard greens, dandelion greens, turnip greens etc. very little fresh fruit. never avocado.
    there is debate in the community about soaking them. it cannot hurt. helps them stay regular and can help them shed. hotly debated if they absorb any water but some will drink while in the bath.
    it is very good your draggie likes veggies b/c they're supposed to be 80% plant and 20% bug as adults.
    Gargoyle Geckos: Gorey, Gremmie, Ouija, Gojira, Bacon Bit, Penny, Wednesday
    Crested Geckos: Eggs, Triscuit, Creature & Waffles
    Leopard Geckos: Rhubarb, Pepper and Clementine
    Cal Kings: Bones & Violet
    Corn snakes: A sh*tload
    Trans-Pesos: 1.1 No names
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    BCI Boa: Specter (Fineline morph)
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix
    One little special needs bearded dragon P. Sherman
    Black African House Snakes: 1.1 No names
    Northern Pines: 1.1 No names
    Four skinks, one of which is named Gator & Basil the mini-lop rabbit

'everything was beautiful and nothing hurt' - vonnegut.

www.facebook.com/SilentHillReptiles

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilentHill For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-28-2019),Solidsnek (05-28-2019)

Thanks
    i see the pics now. very cute.
    as for substrate i use reptile carpet. i hate using papertowels for them for some reason.
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SilentHill For This Useful Post:

Solidsnek (05-28-2019)

Thanks

Re: Sooo someone didn’t want this girl...

Quote Originally Posted by SilentHill View Post
    pics please!
    dust food with D3 powder.
    they like to perch up high and also snuggle so something to climb up on and then maybe a hammock.
    wax worms and dubia are probably the best. hornworms ok. superworms are harder for them to digest. i cannot chime in about crickets as i refuse to bring those into the house. the best green for them are "greens" not lettuce or spinach, so mustard greens, dandelion greens, turnip greens etc. very little fresh fruit. never avocado.
    there is debate in the community about soaking them. it cannot hurt. helps them stay regular and can help them shed. hotly debated if they absorb any water but some will drink while in the bath.
    it is very good your draggie likes veggies b/c they're supposed to be 80% plant and 20% bug as adults.
    Just threw a second post with pictures, was walking home when I posted and wanted the cage in the pictures as well.
    I have crickets already because my leopard gecko loves them, so once a week I’ll bring home just enough for her (she gets other things that aren’t crickets lol)
    Haven’t tried roaches ever maybe this will be the time to start!
    We gave her black berries (2) because she didn’t have a water bowl with her so idk how hydrated she was upon arrival.

Does she seem underweight?

Thanks

i see the pics now. very cute.
    as for substrate i use reptile carpet. i hate using papertowels for them for some reason.
    We will just buy a few of the reptile carpets then.
    My goal with this animal is to either get a full setup that’s up to current standards and either gift her, or keep her. Haven’t yet decided. I have tons of fish, a leopard gecko, a juvenile ball python, and supposedly someone is bringing in a 5ft albino red tail that is “terrifyingly aggressive” (I think they are just scared of snakes and it was cool when it was smaller...) so the beardie is still a maybe for this house.
    Very friendly to me though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Solidsnek For This Useful Post:

SilentHill (05-28-2019)

Thanks

i used to care for a lot of spoiled beardies and i don't recall ribs being that visable. she does look like a leatherback which means a thinner skin. fatten her up with some dubia if she likes them. banana extra ripe may be good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SilentHill For This Useful Post:

Solidsnek (05-28-2019)

Thanks

i used to care for a lot of spoiled beardies and i don't recall ribs being that visable. she does look like a leatherback which means a thinner skin. fatten her up with some dubia if she likes them. banana extra ripe may be good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Good lookin out. I’ll get her setup and some proper food in her tonight

Thanks

I agree that she looks like a leatherback, and may therefore seem a bit skinnier... but otherwise she doesn't look terribly underweight.

The best substrate I've found overall is tile or linoleum. I've used both - each holds heat well, and are super easy to spray and wipe down, especially when your dragon poos and smears it all over the cage as they seem to maliciously enjoy doing from time to time (usually right after you've cleaned too).

I do bathe my beardie a couple times a month to ensure he poos/pees and gets a good intake of water, but they really should be getting all the moisture they need from their greens. You can spritz the greens down with water before you put them in the enclosure to ensure they get a bit more. I'll throw in a bit of cilantro here and there as the smell seems to entice them to eat the rather more "plain" greens. Mine also LOVES raspberries, but you don't want to feed too many - they'll get runny stools. Besides greens, I feed a mixture of mealworms, butterworms, and a wax worm here and there for a treat. You'll want to make sure you have a good UVB lamp as well, and that you keep it changed out every six months. Even if the bulb doesn't die, the UVB may not be as strong.

Other than that, beardies are real couch potatoes and pretty easy to take care of. We'll get mine out from time to time to play in the yard and get some fresh air - I have a leash for him.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-28-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    I agree that she looks like a leatherback, and may therefore seem a bit skinnier... but otherwise she doesn't look terribly underweight.

The best substrate I've found overall is tile or linoleum. I've used both - each holds heat well, and are super easy to spray and wipe down, especially when your dragon poos and smears it all over the cage as they seem to maliciously enjoy doing from time to time (usually right after you've cleaned too).

I do bathe my beardie a couple times a month to ensure he poos/pees and gets a good intake of water, but they really should be getting all the moisture they need from their greens. You can spritz the greens down with water before you put them in the enclosure to ensure they get a bit more. I'll throw in a bit of cilantro here and there as the smell seems to entice them to eat the rather more "plain" greens. Mine also LOVES raspberries, but you don't want to feed too many - they'll get runny stools. Besides greens, I feed a mixture of mealworms, butterworms, and a wax worm here and there for a treat. You'll want to make sure you have a good UVB lamp as well, and that you keep it changed out every six months. Even if the bulb doesn't die, the UVB may not be as strong.

Other than that, beardies are real couch potatoes and pretty easy to take care of. We'll get mine out from time to time to play in the yard and get some fresh air - I have a leash for him.
    Yeah I figured 6 month change with uvb, when using cfl for planted aquariums you have a similar window.thanks for the response! I’ll check out butter worms never used them before

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Solidsnek For This Useful Post:

SilentHill (05-28-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast