Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,867

0 members and 2,867 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Hello from Seattle! :)

Tried to feed the little dude today and sadly no luck Warmed the mouse up with the hairdryer in his vicinity and nothing. He gave it a few little sniffs before starting to zoom around his tank.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by embers View Post
    Tried to feed the little dude today and sadly no luck Warmed the mouse up with the hairdryer in his vicinity and nothing. He gave it a few little sniffs before starting to zoom around his tank.
    That's too bad...but you haven't had him for long, so maybe wait at least a week & try again. He might also be going into a shed cycle...they know before we can tell,
    & often refuse food at that time. Try not to worry too much. Also, it's better to wait until night-time (their normal hunting time) to offer food, and especially if they are
    in their hide, peeking out: BPs are ambush-predators so that posture often suggests they are waiting & hoping for some clueless prey to happen past their hide. You
    may just have been offering at the wrong time of day, & if he was out & about, he felt too insecure to eat food. BPs are shy snakes, this matters to them. Did you use
    feeding tongs? (please do) It's also important to keep the wiggling motion of the prey subtle, and moving past or even away from the snake, never towards the snake-
    shy snakes like BPs don't usually appreciate seemingly bold rodents that "volunteer" to get eaten... This was probably just too soon for him to feel secure (often it's
    best to wait 2 weeks for a new snake to settle in before offering food); you haven't been handling him, I hope? (that can put a BP off from eating quicker than anything)
    Just in case, you want to wait until he has fed 3 times "easily" at normal intervals before you start handling him...eating comes first, always. Also, don't offer food
    too often (more than once a week) as that tends to stress some snakes (like BPs) into refusing meals also.

BTW, I know you're not new to keeping BPs, but sometimes it helps to review, & not all snakes are fussy about the same things.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-31-2019 at 05:24 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

embers (05-31-2019)

Thanks

I got him on Friday last week, so I wanted to offer after a week. He was in his warm side hide when I started trying, so I hoped that would help him feel secure. He sniffed the mouse from his hide then took off I'm going to give it another week, and if he still won't eat the f/t, I will go to Petco to get live.

I definitely use feeding tongs! My spider girl was almost 3kg when she passed, and I absolutely did not want that thing flying at my hand especially since she always had a bit of a wobble.

I haven't been handling him at all, but I am a little worried that my cats are stressing him out. He's in my office, and I have not been leaving the door open so the cats can't get in when I leave, but they are *really really curious* about him, and keep popping up next to the tank and jumping on top of it before I shoo them off.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to embers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-31-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12