Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,033

1 members and 3,032 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just curious

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    The only reason my larger adult boas get very young rabbits that are an appropriately sized feeder is because large, XL, jumbo, colossal, etc. rats may be retired breeders, and retired breeder feeders have a higher fat content than their younger/smaller counterparts. A young rabbit has very little fat.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-28-2019),Ditto (05-28-2019),richardhind1972 (05-28-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    My male BCA, close to 6' is roughly the diameter of a baseball bat, but in a "loaf of bread" shape. I give him either medium or large rats and adjust his feeding schedule accordingly...every 4-6 weeks he will get a meal. My hypo BCI male, is about 5' and is about the same diameter as a broom handle.. he gets either small or medium rats every 3-5 weeks.

Most baby boas stay on mice until they are large enough to eat adult mice, then they switch to rats and most will be on rats their whole life. Some larger individuals can eat rabbits and some people will feed quail and other feeders to vary the diet but they don't need especially large meals.

I house my adult boas in PVC cages with sliding glass doors and a basking shelf to climb on. They do use the space. My male CA motley is in a V70 rack but I will be attempting a move to a PVC cage for him to see how it goes. He is unusually shy and inactive for a boa so he may not appreciate the move.

I kept all of my boas as babies / juvies in rack systems but some people house boas in racks their entire lives. I personally feel that for smaller boa locales (Tarahumara, Nics, CA's, etc.) it can work as long as you give them the largest tub you can (V70 or bigger for adults) but for the regular BCIs, etc. I don't think a tub allows enough climbing room. Boas will lay out in the open and use all of their cage. They make excellent dispaly animals and because of their more active nature, I would not want to keep adults in a small tub as is done with shyer, less active BPs. There are super large racking systems that professional breeders house boas in (tubs are about 4'x3'x12" or more) and those would work ok but would still not allow for climbing options.
    Thank you so much for the information! I'm definitely going to look into getting a bigger boa, probably not for a while because I really don't think I'm ready for another reptile yet, but for right now I'll do lots of research (and save my pennies lol) and maybe in the future I'll be able add one to the family

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ditto For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-28-2019),richardhind1972 (05-28-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123