Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,544

0 members and 2,544 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Exclamation Terrarium too warm for BP?

Hey y’all, this is my first post on this forum! I just had a quick question. I currently have my 6mo Cinnamon Ball Python in a ten gallon tank with a ceramic heat emitter. The warm side right above her rock (thick plastic) hide is at 102 degrees Fahrenheit. The cool side is around 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Warm side humidity is 30-40% and cool side being 50-60% usually. Are these okay temperatures for now? (I’m getting heat tape in the near future with a thermostat on it). I’m just hoping that her hide is about 10 degrees cooler than on top of it where it’s at 102. She feels dry whenever I hold her and looks a little ashy (just ate) but humidity doesn’t seem to be too bad on the cool side. Also, how do you upload pics to a thread? I’ll post some of her terrarium! Thank y’all for the help!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes too hot and at that rate your BP can suffer from neurological issue. Turn off the heat and only use the ambient temp, BP can do well with ambient only if in the mid 80's.

If you want to provide a gradient the cool end should be 78/80 and the hot spot 88/90 at the most.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (05-26-2019),pretends2bnormal (05-26-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Terrarium too warm for BP?

Quote Originally Posted by SnekNoodle View Post
    Hey y’all, this is my first post on this forum! I just had a quick question. I currently have my 6mo Cinnamon Ball Python in a ten gallon tank with a ceramic heat emitter. The warm side right above her rock (thick plastic) hide is at 102 degrees Fahrenheit. The cool side is around 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Warm side humidity is 30-40% and cool side being 50-60% usually. Are these okay temperatures for now? (I’m getting heat tape in the near future with a thermostat on it). I’m just hoping that her hide is about 10 degrees cooler than on top of it where it’s at 102. She feels dry whenever I hold her and looks a little ashy (just ate) but humidity doesn’t seem to be too bad on the cool side. Also, how do you upload pics to a thread? I’ll post some of her terrarium! Thank y’all for the help!
    And you should know that you can and need to plug your che into a thermostat also. It is stated on here often all heat sources need to be plugged into thermostats and it is SO true. You just helped prove that. There is no way to perfectly monitor a heat source by using the correct wattage or even using a dimmer. Why because temps fluctuate in life. Some people may disagree about the dimmers part and that is better than maybe nothing, but not near as good as just using a thermostat. Why not just let the thermostat do the monitoring (shutting on and off) for you, like when your sleeping or out of the house?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (05-26-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Kill the heat. ALL of it. ALL heat sources must be regulated by a thermostat. This is why it's so important to research animals BEFORE bringing them home.

Start studying some care sheets. We'll be happy to help you out, but you need to start with the basics of husbandry.
    Than ask questions about what you're unsure of.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 05-26-2019 at 02:35 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (05-26-2019),pretends2bnormal (05-26-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Kill the heat. ALL of it. ALL heat sources must be regulated by a thermostat. This is why it's so important to research animals BEFORE bringing them home.

Start studying some care sheets. We'll be happy to help you out, but you need to start with the basics of husbandry.
    Than ask questions about what you're unsure of.
    I did quite a bit, however this was more trial and error. I read you can use ceramic heat emitters and so I bought one rated at 8 inches away for 92 degrees. Didn’t really realize that for a ten gallon tank it pretty much makes the entire tank hot. Currently our AC is broke in our house so the ambient temperature is around 82ish degrees and 50-60% humidity, so I think I’m just going to leave her CHE off for now until I can get heat tape and a proper thermostat. For some reason my account says I am unable to post pictures, but her tank looks really nice and the cypress mulch holds humidity well especially on the cool end. Looks like I’ll be making a trip to the local pet shop tomorrow!

Thanks
    I also suggest getting a Herpstat thermostat and putting the probe where they are the most. It automatically dims the heat source as needed. A bit pricey but very convenient!

Thanks
    edit: sorry I’m not sure why my post showed up twice. Stupid mobile lol
    Last edited by Shadowy; 05-27-2019 at 04:32 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnekNoodle View Post
    I did quite a bit, however this was more trial and error. I read you can use ceramic heat emitters and so I bought one rated at 8 inches away for 92 degrees. Didn’t really realize that for a ten gallon tank it pretty much makes the entire tank hot. Currently our AC is broke in our house so the ambient temperature is around 82ish degrees and 50-60% humidity, so I think I’m just going to leave her CHE off for now until I can get heat tape and a proper thermostat. For some reason my account says I am unable to post pictures, but her tank looks really nice and the cypress mulch holds humidity well especially on the cool end. Looks like I’ll be making a trip to the local pet shop tomorrow!
    Those ambient temps in your house are actually perfect. Just turn off the heat in the enclosure and your new pet will be fine til you get your new equipment.

Also, just want to add how important it is to measure surface temps using a temp gun. If it's 102 outside the hide it's probably over 110 inside the hide.

Lastly, many of us use the free app Tapatalk to upload pics.