Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,751

1 members and 2,750 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Red scabby looking spot on my enchi ball python

Hi I noticed a red scabby looking spot on my snakes belly and I was wondering what it could be I can't post photos because this is my first post but does anyone know what it could be?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Are you using a heat pad/under-tank heater with your snake? If so is it regulated by a thermostat so it doesn't overheat and burn your snake?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

blabbytax1 (05-26-2019),Bogertophis (05-26-2019),GoingPostal (05-27-2019)

Thanks
    Like mentioned above, you should have a regulator for your heating mat so it stays constant and doesn't have weird fluxes in temperature. Also appropriate to have is a temperature gun so you can point at a specific spot and get an accurate temperature!

Also if you're using substrate, every other day I have to go under the hide on the warm side and make sure the substrate is evenly covering it. There could be some spots where more heat is coming through because of the material being pushed around. This is also why a temp. gun is useful so you can quickly scan over that area to see any spikes.

I'm going to assume you already know this, but just to refresh I consider anything above 90-92 degrees is probably a little too hot for their bellies.

I haven't had a scab happen before, but Dumplings belly has been a little pink in the past because of the heat being too high. I'm sure others will be able to give you some first aid advice!
    Last edited by Mirakuru; 05-26-2019 at 08:55 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mirakuru For This Useful Post:

blabbytax1 (05-26-2019),Bogertophis (05-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Red scabby looking spot on my enchi ball python

This will help all concerned I hope.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I don't have a temperature regulator but I will look for one (will the pads with built in ones work?) and I don't have pictures of the injury right now but I will take some and try to post them thanks I just want to help my not so little nagini

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blabbytax1 View Post
    I don't have a temperature regulator but I will look for one (will the pads with built in ones work?) and I don't have pictures of the injury right now but I will take some and try to post them thanks I just want to help my not so little nagini
    You need to unplug the heat mat right now. If your snake is burned so that it's red it will need a vet visit.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ces-video-demo

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I already did when I saw it

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    https://www.amazon.com/iPower-40-108...=fsclp_pl_dp_1

heres what I use. You plug the heating mat into the port in this device, then plug the whole device into a power outlet. This is what will regulate your mat!

there is a probe, the little thing that has a suction cup on it. What I do is I put the probe right in between the tub and the mat to get a reading of what the mat itself is heated up to. (You can just slip the suction cup off and toss it)
    There is a "set up" button where you can make a target temperature. I keep my "target" at 95 degrees because through the plastic and the substrate that makes the warm spot around 85-90. You'll be able to check that with a temperature gun!

The way it regulates is if the mat goes above your "target" the regulator will turn the heat mat off to cool down, and it'll turn it back on again when it needs to reach the target temperature again. I'd say get one of these as soon as you can.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirakuru For This Useful Post:

blabbytax1 (05-26-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mirakuru View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/iPower-40-108...=fsclp_pl_dp_1

heres what I use. You plug the heating mat into the port in this device, then plug the whole device into a power outlet. This is what will regulate your mat!

there is a probe, the little thing that has a suction cup on it. What I do is I put the probe right in between the tub and the mat to get a reading of what the mat itself is heated up to. (You can just slip the suction cup off and toss it)
    There is a "set up" button where you can make a target temperature. I keep my "target" at 95 degrees because through the plastic and the substrate that makes the warm spot around 85-90. You'll be able to check that with a temperature gun!

The way it regulates is if the mat goes above your "target" the regulator will turn the heat mat off to cool down, and it'll turn it back on again when it needs to reach the target temperature again. I'd say get one of these as soon as you can.
    Thanks I will get one as soon as I can I will have to see how much I have after paying bills and getting my car repaired

15. The Following User Says Thank You to blabbytax1 For This Useful Post:

Mirakuru (05-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Thanks I will get one as soon as I can I will have to see how much I have after paying bills and getting my car repaired

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you cannot afford basic proper care (& by that I mean adequate, reliable & regulated heat for their digestion) please do
    not try to keep any pet snake...it's not fair to them. If you cannot afford a thermostat (or rheostat) to regulate the UTH, then it's a safe bet you cannot afford the
    emergency vet care that this snake now also needs...please re-home it to someone who can take proper care of it, until your finances are such that you can provide
    responsible care. Keeping pets of any kind means not just paying for the animal, & not just feeding it, not just buying a cage & adequate heating equipment, but it
    also means having enough money set aside for whatever medical care may come up, without waiting to save for it while the animal suffers...that's just not right.
    Unless you can borrow funds to take care of this now, please re-home this injured & hurting snake to someone (a rescue?) who can & will.

I don't have a temperature regulator but I will look for one (will the pads with built in ones work?)...
    You mean like human heating pads, with the 3 buttons (low, med, hi)? Not reliable at all, & can be hazardous if used improperly. You might
    be able to get away with using a "lamp dimmer" aka "rheostat" from local hardware store (not expensive at all, get the kind you plug a lamp
    into the extension cord with sliding control to regulate, BUT be advised that some UTH does not easily take to being dimmed, and will just go
    off instead of lowering the heat; all you can do is try it & see, not a big risk & lamp dimmers on a cord are always handy for over-head lights
    (you can provide temporary heat that way too, but still need thermostat to make sure it's not too hot!) and they're handy for our own lamps
    too.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-26-2019 at 04:17 PM.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (05-26-2019),blabbytax1 (05-26-2019),GoingPostal (05-27-2019),Jayden (05-30-2019),pretends2bnormal (05-26-2019),Sunnieskys (05-26-2019)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast