Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,932

1 members and 2,931 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Any Other Bird Feeders Out There?

I recently bought two simple bird feeders from Home Depot, and a hummingbird feeder at Walmart. I thought I would put them up and have to wait weeks for any birds to notice them and make my yard a regular stop. I couldn't have been more wrong. Within the first 30 minutes of putting them out, my two seed feeders were swarming with birds! Within a few hours I noticed two hummingbirds visiting their feeder. I've had my feeders for about a month now and more and more birds have started to visit. Last weekend I added a birdbath to my yard and it too is a hit with the birds.

I've already started to notice different behaviors and feeding patterns from the different birds. The smaller birds, like the finches, like to dig through the seed to get to what they like and the stuff they discard falls to the ground where the doves, pigeons, and occasional quail gobble up the rest. They all seem to work together to get what they like. I've been Googling birds every few days to help identify what kinds of birds I'm seeing. I live in Arizona, about 35 miles southeast of Phoenix, and in the past couple of days, a bird known as a Gila woodpecker has started to visit. He/she is about the size of a dove and pretty agile. It can grab on to the edge of the seed feeder while flipping its wings to balance itself while it eats. And just this morning I noticed the same bird was able to grab onto the hummingbird feeder and drink from it! Roadrunners (my favorite bird) are starting to notice the birds too. You can tell when one is around because all the bird songs stop because they all fly away. I've noticed two different species of hummingbirds so far and I hope more show up. I'm really glad I did this and I want to add a few more feeders around the house. My wife and kids are starting to get into it now too which is great.

Does anyone else out there do this? If so, what kinds of birds are visiting your feeders?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skeptiball For This Useful Post:

Bodie (05-25-2019),Bogertophis (05-25-2019),Craiga 01453 (05-27-2019)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Any Other Bird Feeders Out There?

I feed the birds too. Different kind of birds. I use my compost pile.
    I get a lot of people asking me why they are so many of them roosting so close to my house. No reason...

*.* TNTC

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-25-2019),Skeptiball (05-26-2019)

Thanks

My wife and I are big fans of the bird feeders and baths. We got 2 feeders and 2 bath set up in the back yard. We have a decent size backyard with quite a few trees. Our stable of everyday birds are cardinals, chickadees, the titmouse, yellow finch and blue jays. The ground is cover by the doves and squirrels. The feeders must be squirrel proof or they will eat every bit of food. I still make sure the have seed. Every couple of days I fill the big cup I use to fill the feeder and sprinkle seed on the ground for them. We like to sit on our screen porch with a glass of wine and watch the birds in the early evenings. I am having to fill the bird baths right now every day cause it is so hot here (florida) right now and the summertime rain pattern hasn't kick in yet. As soon as the bird bath is filled, it is being used. The birds are definitely very relaxing
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bodie For This Useful Post:

Skeptiball (05-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    I feed the birds too...not so much to make them too dependent. Mostly in winter, amazing the birds that migrate thru this area (mid-South) as well as our regular
    residents. I have lots of huge trees, it's a natural hang-out, but many others feed the birds too, I think, so my feeder is usually more like the corner cafe than a big
    cafeteria, & even if I don't put food out all the time, I have some local feathered friends (cardinals) that check & seem to notice pretty fast. I enjoy them all, and
    I've made some bird feeders (really cool-looking pedestal type) by gluing together various large vases (for the bottoms) & fancy glass pot-lids/dishes/or plates for
    the top. The only trouble is they're too accessible by the squirrels. But they also work well for water to drink & bathe...I think birds are hilarious to watch bathing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Skeptiball (05-26-2019)

Thanks
    I don't feed the birds at my place as we mostly have pigeons but my parents live out in the country and they have an awesome feeder and bird bath set up. We live up in Canada so the birds my parents get are mostly crows (our favorite as they are hilarious to watch), grackles, chickadees in the winter, gold finches in the summer, red winged blackbirds, starlings, blue jays, sometimes grey jays, and woodpeckers. They also get squirrels and chipmunks but the feeder is set up so they can't get to it, they are more like pests as they have a vegetable garden nearby. I got a few pictures of the wildlife getting fed or eating on the deck.

Here, we gave the crows some spaghetti sauce and they made it look like a murder scene.

Here is a crow eating a chicken bone, this is normal for them.

I can't seem to link the other pictures I have as they are actually little videos, I thought it would work thinking they were GIFs but they aren't so I'll just put links to it.

First is just a short video of a squirrel coming to grab a peanut, this was before we starting hating them.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/GRH1UAN

Next is the best one, it shows crows, grackles and a squirrel going for the peanuts. The crows here are extra skittish, no idea why, they are just like that here, but it sure makes for a hilarious video.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/aPmB9hm

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-26-2019),Skeptiball (05-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

My boyfriend and I do have a feeder out for the birds here. We live out in the country in PA. We have woodpeckers, chickadees, red winged black birds, cardinals, yellow finches, starlings, blue jays, and sometimes hummingbirds. I was sitting outside the other day and a hummingbird flew right by my head. That is not the first time one of them has done that.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

Skeptiball (05-27-2019)

Thanks
    Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention my parents get lots of humming birds too. Here is a picture of one that got lost in the garage and was in shock so we were able to just pick him up. It took him a bit to come to and then he flew away, so he was just fine.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bodie (05-26-2019),Bogertophis (05-26-2019),Craiga 01453 (05-27-2019),Skeptiball (05-27-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention my parents get lots of humming birds too. Here is a picture of one that got lost in the garage and was in shock so we were able to just pick him up. It took him a bit to come to and then he flew away, so he was just fine.

Wow that red is intense. Glad to hear the little fella was ok
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bodie For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (05-26-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have 2 bird feeders with seeds one on the front porch one on the back the one on the back make our backyard resemble an busy airport, there is a waiting line each day at any given time but with increase traffic early in the AM and at dusk.

The birds that can be seen are Cardinals (you can easily 5 to 6 males awaiting their turn in the woods (likely same amount of females), we also have Carolina Wrens, Tufted Titmouse (who make a mess spilling seeds on the ground), Doves (at least half a dozen (Cleaning up the mess), and this year a Wood Pecker decided to use the feeder on a daily basis, we also have an Oriole that just showed up a few weeks ago and that eats the seeds spilled on the ground.
    Deborah Stewart

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Skeptiball (05-27-2019)

Thanks

our wild birds.... lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Gargoyle Geckos: Gorey, Gremmie, Ouija, Gojira, Bacon Bit, Penny, Wednesday
    Crested Geckos: Eggs, Triscuit, Creature & Waffles
    Leopard Geckos: Rhubarb, Pepper and Clementine
    Cal Kings: Bones & Violet
    Corn snakes: A sh*tload
    Trans-Pesos: 1.1 No names
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    BCI Boa: Specter (Fineline morph)
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix
    One little special needs bearded dragon P. Sherman
    Black African House Snakes: 1.1 No names
    Northern Pines: 1.1 No names
    Four skinks, one of which is named Gator & Basil the mini-lop rabbit

'everything was beautiful and nothing hurt' - vonnegut.

www.facebook.com/SilentHillReptiles

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SilentHill For This Useful Post:

Skeptiball (05-28-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast