Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,124

2 members and 3,122 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Is this boa thin? Or am I going crazy...or both

Good morning everyone!

I was wanting some extra eyes on this snake for an opinion (there’s only so much my non-reptile hobbyist fiancé can put up with ).

I feel like I have been struggling with this boa since the day I got her. I’m constantly under the opinion that she looks underweight. She also has quite a “soft” body tone compared to my other boa, i.e. my other boa seems to have a more firm muscle tone than the one in question. This is really only noticeable when she’s coiled up/ relaxing somewhere (her body doesn’t seem to hold that classic ‘square’ boa shape when she’s coiled up), when I pick her up she feels like a normally (albeit relaxed and calm) boa.

Some back ground on this animals—

I rescued her when she was about 1, she’s 4 years old now. She was is pretty bad shape when I got her, malnourished, dehydrated, no water dish, no heat source, the usual. I eventually tracked down the original breeder to learn there had been a power outage mid-pregnancy and the entire litter was born with kinked tails (you can see it in the picture).

Currently, she’s on medium rats every 3 weeks (late summer I usually bump up to every 2 weeks and stretch it out to 4 weeks during winter).

Other than her “softness” she is seemingly healthy. Eats every meal offered, aggressive strike/coil response, sheds, poops, climbs and explores her enclosure (although she does get lazy when I bump her up to meals every 2 weeks, sits in her hide and waits for the next meal. Hence why I only do that a few times per year).

These were her weights over the years:
    July 2016: ~100 g
    July 2017: ~400 g
    July 2018: ~1000 g
    Current: ~2000 g

I know boas grow slowly, but does she look underweight to you? Or am I going crazy! If she does look underweight, in your experience what is the best way to bump her up? Like I said going to meals every 2 weeks seems to create a lazy snake, but maybe it’s what she needs? I think a large rat is still a bit much for her (medium leaves a lump).

Anyway, it’s hard to say how much the power outage during her prenatal development affected her, it’s possible the soft muscle tone is linked to a slightly neuro defect. Who knows!! I’ll stop typing now I think haha.

Thanks for taking a look! These pictures are from March. I’ll take more when she’s out of shed.

Ps. I know every snake grows at a different rate, however is was nice to see Jeff Ronne’s collection in Barczyk’s vlog a few weeks ago.. all his 4-5 year females looked about 5-6 feet and around 2000-2500 g. Those 8’ 2 year olds on Facebook always throw me off...

Regards,
    Dillon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DLLNP For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-25-2019),richardhind1972 (05-25-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    She looks fine to me, body shape looks good for a boa.
    I have some that are more 'soft' than others and get a little flatter looking when resting but when moving looks square again which may just be a muscle tone issue.
    But yeah, she looks fine in my eyes.
    For the Horde!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

DLLNP (05-25-2019)

Thanks

Re: Is this boa thin? Or am I going crazy...or both

Thanks for the feedback! Ya since I only have two boas my sample size is quite small. Definitely makes me feel better!

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Looks fine to me too, really nice looking boa
    I've got a few boas and they all have different body shapes

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

DLLNP (05-25-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    I'm not a boa expert (or a snake expert for that matter) but your post about her being softer and having a bit less tone than normal, and her in-utero issue reminded me of some of my pediatric patients. Some have hypotonia (low muscle tone) due to damage in utero or certain syndromes. I imagine it happens to other animals too. She seems like she has a nice home with you. :-)
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

DLLNP (05-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    I'm not a boa expert (or a snake expert for that matter) but your post about her being softer and having a bit less tone than normal, and her in-utero issue reminded me of some of my pediatric patients. Some have hypotonia (low muscle tone) due to damage in utero or certain syndromes. I imagine it happens to other animals too. She seems like she has a nice home with you. :-)
    Hmm that’s really interesting! Definitely a possibility that’s for sure. I’ve always wondered if she could still be suffering from issues related to the power outage. It’s funny, my partner is actually a NICU nurse... I’ll have to give her hell for not thinking of this . Thanks again!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DLLNP For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (05-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Looks fine to me too, really nice looking boa
    I've got a few boas and they all have different body shapes

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Thank you! Ya she’s a great looking snake, and she’s very polite as well haha

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DLLNP For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (05-25-2019)