Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 797

0 members and 797 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

New owner shed questions

Hello all!
    I just got my BP a few weeks ago and he is doing well. I fed him last Saturday and on Monday I went to pick him up and saw his eyes were cloudy so I immediately put him back where I found him. I have been picking up his hide every now and then just to check his eyes and color and stuff but not picking him up. I know you shouldn't pick up a snake while they're in shed but is it okay to pick them up after their eyes have cleared and they aren't actively shedding yet?? I don't wanna go 2 weeks without holding my boy if I don't have to since I'd rather not go too long without handling him. I usually try to handle him every day for 10 mins. Any advice for this new snake mom would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,789 Times in 11,825 Posts

Re: New owner shed questions

Quote Originally Posted by Estrella-Anguis View Post
    Hello all!
    I just got my BP a few weeks ago and he is doing well. I fed him last Saturday and on Monday I went to pick him up and saw his eyes were cloudy so I immediately put him back where I found him. I have been picking up his hide every now and then just to check his eyes and color and stuff but not picking him up. I know you shouldn't pick up a snake while they're in shed but is it okay to pick them up after their eyes have cleared and they aren't actively shedding yet?? I don't wanna go 2 weeks without holding my boy if I don't have to since I'd rather not go too long without handling him. I usually try to handle him every day for 10 mins. Any advice for this new snake mom would be appreciated.
    Hi & welcome...
    It's really preferable that you don't pick up a snake that's about to shed, just because they've gone clear. It's also better not to handle him daily even when he's not
    in shed, and about that "10 minutes", you would be better off sitting down & cuddling him for a little longer, like 30 minutes, but only a couple times a week (when not
    in shed). The reason is that snakes are the most afraid & stressed when first approached & picked up...and 10 minutes hardly gives him time to relax & learn to feel
    safe with you. Most snakes (including BPs) can't identify us visually...our approach is scary to them, & since instinctively the only thing that picks them up is a predator
    about to eat them, those first few minutes are way more fun for us than for them, even if they're stoic & not biting in self-defense. Their best senses (to recognize us)
    are touch & scent...they learn they are safe with us by how we touch & cuddle them.

I know exactly how you feel though, wanting to connect with him daily...I was the same way when I first got into snakes, but I solved that by getting more snakes.
    I don't know if that helps, lol. Also, how many times has he fed for you? We actually recommend NO handling until a new snake has fed easily for you (at normal
    intervals) three times, because eating is way more important to their health, & handling can cause stress that makes them refuse to eat, which is not fun, & which can
    negatively impact their health (immune system) if it continues. So eating is "job #1". Keeping snakes teaches us to be patient... & I'm sure you want what's best
    for him. With good genes, good health & good luck, you'll have many years anyway (decades even) to enjoy him. Again, welcome...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-25-2019),fadingdaylight (05-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hi & welcome...
    It's really preferable that you don't pick up a snake that's about to shed, just because they've gone clear. It's also better not to handle him daily even when he's not
    in shed, and about that "10 minutes", you would be better off sitting down & cuddling him for a little longer, like 30 minutes, but only a couple times a week (when not
    in shed). The reason is that snakes are the most afraid & stressed when first approached & picked up...and 10 minutes hardly gives him time to relax & learn to feel
    safe with you. Most snakes (including BPs) can't identify us visually...our approach is scary to them, & since instinctively the only thing that picks them up is a predator
    about to eat them, those first few minutes are way more fun for us than for them, even if they're stoic & not biting in self-defense. Their best senses (to recognize us)
    are touch & scent...they learn they are safe with us by how we touch & cuddle them.

I know exactly how you feel though, wanting to connect with him daily...I was the same way when I first got into snakes, but I solved that by getting more snakes.
    I don't know if that helps, lol. Also, how many times has he fed for you? We actually recommend NO handling until a new snake has fed easily for you (at normal
    intervals) three times, because eating is way more important to their health, & handling can cause stress that makes them refuse to eat, which is not fun, & which can
    negatively impact their health (immune system) if it continues. So eating is "job #1". Keeping snakes teaches us to be patient... & I'm sure you want what's best
    for him. With good genes, good health & good luck, you'll have many years anyway (decades even) to enjoy him. Again, welcome...
    Thank you for your reply!!
    He has eaten twice for me. He's a weird one though I have yet to see him strike he just eats it when he feels like it. In the owners shop he was eating live and he did have some scratches from rats so I know he is pretty skiddish when he sees even the F/T rats in with him but he hasn't refused a meal for me yet.

I think I was just worried if I went too long without handling him he might get used to not being picked up and might think of me as a threat every time I open his enclosure.

I will try to keep my hands off till after he sheds! I hope he has a good shed for me so I can see his beautiful yellow colors soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,789 Times in 11,825 Posts

Don't worry about your snake forgetting who you are: once they really learn to feel comfortable with you, they have a great memory & don't require constant reminders.
    I know because I have quite a few snakes (only 16 currently, but WAY more than that in the past & for many years) & mine don't get picked up all the time, & yet they
    even trust me to take them to "meet & greets" with the public, where they always "behave" perfectly. Yours is still new, but it won't take long before he really does know
    you. That's wonderful that he's eating good for you, & that you have him on F/T. That's important for safety, as sooner or later they slip up & get injured otherwise.
    Many snakes do learn to just eat F/T without striking, & of course, you never give such a snake live prey, as they would be way more likely to get injured, by "surprise".
    What I do to "keep in touch" with all my snakes is check on their cages daily (if not handling)...they'll see me & get my scent...they know I'm there, & familiar to them.
    Actually, I think many of them watch me as much as I watch them.... I never expected to get so into snakes, but they have personalities & are easy to live with, & so
    cute!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Definitely let him be. Even though his eyes have cleared he is still enduring the process of the shed cycle.

Your snake won't forget you or "de-socialize" over a few days. They don't need regular handling, nor do they enjoy it. Handling daily only further stresses the animal. Snakes are not social animals, and will definitely NOT miss being handled.