Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,801

0 members and 2,801 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Making a snake "closet"?

Quick background- life stuff and snake room is going to become a rented room. Really trying to avoid having to re-home.

We have a little nook in one of our rooms thats about perfect size for the rack. Thinking of blocking it off with probably heavy curtain and adding an oil heater on thermostat to warm the area. I'll have the rack on a stand and heater on floor for hopefully better heating and less draft.
    Any thoughts/issues on this idea?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    Sure, why not? Try it out (for temps.), might need some adjustments that we can't tell "from here" but I see no reason it wouldn't work. I have heard of people
    converting closets to house snakes...the only issue is giving them some daylight (real or artificial) so they have a photoperiod.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (05-25-2019),chakup (05-24-2019),Craiga 01453 (05-24-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    As long as proper husbandry is achievable I see no reason not to.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Making a snake "closet"?

Quote Originally Posted by chakup View Post
    Quick background- life stuff and snake room is going to become a rented room. Really trying to avoid having to re-home.

We have a little nook in one of our rooms thats about perfect size for the rack. Thinking of blocking it off with probably heavy curtain and adding an oil heater on thermostat to warm the area. I'll have the rack on a stand and heater on floor for hopefully better heating and less draft.
    Any thoughts/issues on this idea?
    I worked at a chicken hatchery hatching out baby chicks and one thing I noticed is the boxes at the top always hatched out the best because they were warmer at the top then the bottom of the stack so you'll have to keep that in mind that the top and the bottom are going to be different temps. But you'll have your heat down low and work upward so that should be a good thing.

You'll have to figure out where will be the best place for your probe placement. You will have to use your infrared heat gun. We used them at the hatchery a lot. That is where I first became aware of the red dot guns. Thought they were so cool. Even some of the farmers used them to see what temps the chicks were that came.

I think the oil heater sounds a lot safer than say an electric box type heater. Is it the electric oil filled ( radiator looking ) type or a regular oil heater? Fire safety would be the foremost thing to keep in mind. Also will you be still using heat flex tape with them or just keeping it at 85 And are there any fumes with this heater. I would think the best heater would be the electric oil filled heater which might be what you are talking about getting.

Is there a light in the closet you can turn off and on for day and night simulation?

Hope my questions don't seem stupid

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-25-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    From researching electric oil filled was the recommended and that will go to Herpstat. Still running belly heat just using heater to up the ambient temps. I'll have a small light on timer to help simulate photo period.
    Area will be setup and tested before rack gets moved in.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

From researching electric oil filled was the recommended and that will go to Herpstat. Still running belly heat just using heater to up the ambient temps. I'll have a small light on timer to help simulate photo period.
    Area will be setup and tested before rack gets moved in.
    Sounds great and good luck!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Ok quick question- scored a small oil heater from thrift store. From research I thought Herpstat would work but looks like not rated high enough (500w per outlet, heater is 700w). What's everyone's recommendation for thermostat?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Ok quick question- scored a small oil heater from thrift store. From research I thought Herpstat would work but looks like not rated high enough (500w per outlet, heater is 700w). What's everyone's recommendation for thermostat?
    I think Herpstat makes one specifically for oil heaters for the higher wattage. If I was doing an oil heater, I'd probably try for that one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (06-03-2019),jmcrook (05-30-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    I think Herpstat makes one specifically for oil heaters for the higher wattage. If I was doing an oil heater, I'd probably try for that one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Yep, Herpstat HP (high power). Rated for 1500watts specifically for oil radiators.

https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index...products_id=80

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (06-03-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I love Herpstat but kinda on a budget. I've seen the Ranco mentioned a bunch, $50. Also saw inkbird for $35. Both with ratings high enough. Any input on those?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast