Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,730

2 members and 3,728 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Couple Noob shedding questions

hey all! First time BP owner here. I read alot threads here before purchasing my male Mojave named Dexter. I've had him now for a little over two weeks. I left him alone for the first week, except for a mouse feed on day 5 which he devoured. Tuesday of this week after reading the sticky shedding process thread it came clear to me he's going into his second shed. He was born 4/2/19 and shed on the 12th of April. So he's in that 4-6 week window for shed. I have pumped his humidity up to 65-70 to help with the process.

First question, I haven't seen him since Tuesday. Granted if his eyes milked over, he probably feels unsafe venturing out of his hide. So is this common for them to just hide nonstop? I know a hiding bp is a happy one, just he was getting active after acclimating and it has completely shut off.

Second question, I haven't offer him food again cause like said in the post, most go off feed when shedding. My question is a hatchling that weighed 104g when I received him going to be fine only having one meal in a three week span?

Thanks all for any information in advance. Ive been reading like posted threads and am sure he is fine. Just wanted some reassurance I guess. Thanks and have a great day!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Hey, congrats on your first snake!

Yeah, they will almost never leave their hides while in shed. Since their vision is compromised they tend to stay where they feel secure.

As for feeding while in shed, here's what I do..
    Each time I get a new snake I offer once while they're in shed. So the first time each new snakes shed cycle overlaps feeding schedule I offer. If the snake refuses I never offer to that snake again while in shed. I typically feed the day after they shed and start a new feeding schedule for that snake.
    If the snake eats I continue to offer. My Kingsnake is my only snake who eats in shed.

Lastly, waiting another few days to feed certainly won't be a problem.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 05-24-2019 at 03:27 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-24-2019),RebelCue (05-24-2019)

Thanks

Re: Couple Noob shedding questions

You should be good. My son’s snake for example ... We know he’s going into shed before most outward signs display because he chills in the hide. As long as your care is on point you should be good to go..

As far as feeding goes, that same snake I mentioned would find a way to eat with a bag over his head. The snakes that refuse FT for me I will not feed anytime around shed. Would never risk putting live feeders in when their sight is compromised.

Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

RebelCue (05-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    As Craig said, it's completely normal for a snake (BP or otherwise) to hide while they're clouded up in a shed cycle. (In the wild, they'd be in greater peril from
    predators if they ventured out & about.) It's completely normal for them to skip food at this time, & while some will eat anyway, most won't, and I don't offer
    food to them for that reason...it's more likely to get wasted. Another reason to feel better about not offering food to a snake "in blue" is that some of them will
    have trouble shedding if you feed them, or some may even eat & then barf it back up. There's an easy explanation for this- both shedding & digestion uses extra
    hydration from their bodies, and (for whatever reason) some are not good at "multi-tasking". He'll be fine without a meal for the time being, don't worry.

And btw,

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bodie (05-24-2019),Craiga 01453 (05-24-2019),RebelCue (05-24-2019)

Thanks

Re: Couple Noob shedding questions

Well update guys, I decided to peek under his hide today. Was excited to find one solid piece of shed from head to tail! Made my day it all went well

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RebelCue For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-25-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    Don't you love it when it works!? Congrats!