Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,900

3 members and 2,897 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Etiquette and Pick Up Question

So, I am picking up a BCI later this evening from the breeder. I have no experience with breeders, so I am curious if there is any etiquette that I should be aware of, for example:

Is it rude to do a health check, check for mites, etc? I wouldn't think so, but you never know.

Is it rude to ask to see the parents, if you know they are on-site?

What comes first, the money or the snake?

What should a I bring with me? I have a Plano case with holes made for air, plenty of them, lined it with paper towels, and it has a pretty darn securely latching lid on it, for transport. I also plan on bringing a larger tub or box, that can be used ensure the smaller tub dosen't get shifted or flung in the event of hard braking or anything like that. Is there anything else?

Any other insights would be appreciated as well. I know all breeders are people and all people are different, but I imagine there are some commonalities in terms of what to expect.
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-24-2019),JRLongton (05-24-2019)

Thanks
    Congrats on the BCI. Please post pics when you get a chance!
    \m/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (05-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    It's the rare breeder/seller who lets you come to their house or facility to pick up a critter. Usually they want to meet somewhere close by. If you are on-site then it's not rude to ask to see the parents.

No reputable breeder is going to have a problem with you doing a thorough inspection of the critter, including verifying the sex.

Cash is handed over once you are satisfied that the critter is healthy and as advertised.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-24-2019),Bogertophis (05-24-2019),Craiga 01453 (05-24-2019),fadingdaylight (05-24-2019),JRLongton (05-24-2019)

Thanks

Re: Etiquette and Pick Up Question

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    Congrats on the BCI. Please post pics when you get a chance!
    Will do, I will try to get a few before I get him in the QT tank.
    - Jason

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    It's the rare breeder/seller who lets you come to their house or facility to pick up a critter. Usually they want to meet somewhere close by. If you are on-site then it's not rude to ask to see the parents.

No reputable breeder is going to have a problem with you doing a thorough inspection of the critter, including verifying the sex.

Cash is handed over once you are satisfied that the critter is healthy and as advertised.
    Thank you. Just want to be sure I'm as informed as possible ahead of time, I always like to know as much as I can about anything I plan on doing.
    - Jason

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    How the situation goes will probably depend on if you are going to the breeders facility or meeting them someplace local. Overall the transaction would go the same as if you were getting a snake at a show of buying from a private individual. You look over the animal and when satisfied say "i'll take it". Hand the animal back to the seller and as they are packaging it up you get out your money.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I would bring an ice chest or styro-foam shipping box to transport the boxed/bagged snake in safely, just to make sure he's not exposed to excess heat or chill,
    & regardless of season. Sun coming thru car windows & heat from engines have killed snakes before...remember they are trapped & cannot even holler for help.

I agree with bcr229's post- by all means check out the snake first. It's rare but I've been to a breeder's house many years ago to pick up my hatchlings...a large
    & well-known breeder att (& very social & funny guy too).

Looking forward to seeing your new BCI...great pets!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I would bring an ice chest or styro-foam shipping box to transport the boxed/bagged snake in safely, just to make sure he's not exposed to excess heat or chill,
    & regardless of season. Sun coming thru car windows & heat from engines have killed snakes before...remember they are trapped & cannot even holler for help.

I agree with bcr229's post- by all means check out the snake first. It's rare but I've been to a breeder's house many years ago to pick up my hatchlings...a large
    & well-known breeder att (& very social & funny guy too).

Looking forward to seeing your new BCI...great pets!
    I will do that, I've got a few ice chests floating around that I can grab. I will lay a towel or something in it to keep the small tub from sliding around inside. It's nearly a 4 hour drive, and I don't mind doing it at 85 degrees, but I do want to be sure that snakes temps are safe. I'm going to keep the radio down also, try to do everything I can to mitigate stress.
    - Jason

14. The Following User Says Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fadingdaylight View Post
    I will do that, I've got a few ice chests floating around that I can grab. I will lay a towel or something in it to keep the small tub from sliding around inside. It's nearly a 4 hour drive, and I don't mind doing it at 85 degrees, but I do want to be sure that snakes temps are safe. I'm going to keep the radio down also, try to do everything I can to mitigate stress.
    Perfect! Have a good trip! That's how I transport my snakes always, even for what is planned to be a short local trip, as you never know, a tire could blow or something.
    You don't want to lose your snakes being over-heated, not when it's so easy to prevent.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quick update, this was a really smooth process. The breeder did end up meeting me somewhere to make things easier, he brought the snake in a big deli cup with some substrate, he even brought a nice postcard/business card and a printed card showing all of the birth and genetic info, including pictures of both parents. I have seen pictures online of the actual birth, after the first cleanup, after the first shed, etc. Very cool to be able to say I know exactly where this guy has been.

Completely worth the trip.
    - Jason

18. The Following User Says Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-25-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast