Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 895

4 members and 891 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

I dont think he likes being handled?

I've had my baby BP for 6 months now and I hold him every day, but the last about month and a half he has been super fiesty! I used to have no problem going in there and picking him up but now if I even walk close to his enclosure he come out ready to strike, I've been bitten so many times now trying to go in for the confident grab thing and he just keeps striking me, there has been a couple times when he has tried to strike me while I'm already holding him. Idk why this is? If you guys have any suggestions and advise...

This last week I just been giving him some space cause honestly I'm a little tired of getting bit, and I know they all have their own personalities, so I'm thinking maybe he just doesnt like being handled? My other BP does just fine and I can handle her without any issues at all... so idk... anything is appropriated

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: I dont think he likes being handled?

Take the hint! Holding him daily is too much for him....back off. You leave him no choice but to bite, & yet you continue?

Listen, they do all have their own personalities, but even though your other BP isn't protesting your handling, it's safe to assume you are over-doing it with her too.

Stress affects the immune system of snakes, just like it does for us...too much stress makes it more likely for us (or them) to get sick.

Handling daily is too much for most snakes, but the word "handling" also means different things to different people...if you were being considerate & patient enough,
    it's unlikely you'd get bit. Obviously we can't see what you're doing wrong, but try slowing it down to no more than once a week for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenzieburgess View Post
    ... now trying to go in for the confident grab thing and he just keeps striking me...
    And by the way, that "confident grab" is what PREDATORS do...so no wonder! That's NOT the right way to pick up a snake-buddy. That is scary for them!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-24-2019),fadingdaylight (05-24-2019),JRLongton (05-24-2019),TechnoCheese (05-24-2019)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    What is his weight and feeding schedule?
    Honest, I only need one more ...

Thanks
    I agree with Bogertophis. None of my snakes would tolerate daily handling. At best I can get away with every other day.

The BPs particularly seem to prefer a more spaced out schedule of just twice a week.

Give him a week off and see if he calms down.
    \m/

Thanks

I handle once a week, no more.

Like BogerChic said, too much handling will add up to too much stress, which will add up to a sick noodle.

How's his appetite?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I agree as well. If you're looking for a lap pet that you can hang out with daily, a snake is not the right pet. Either that or get a few more so you can split up handling sessions. But it's important to understand our pets before bringing them home.

Snakes are NOT social animals and don't do well with over handling. At best, they tolerate us handling them.

One of the most important parts of keeping snakes is learning their mannerisms and body language. They only have a handful of ways to "tell" us they don't like what's going on. It's our responsibility to learn and respect.

So, learn from your snake and respect that the current situation is NOT working for him.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-24-2019),jmcrook (05-27-2019),Kira (05-24-2019),Sonny1318 (05-24-2019)

Thanks
    What's this 'confident grab' all about? Take it slow.

Lift the hide slow. Let it chill out. Give the snek a gently poke/tap or 2. Let it chill out. Poke it again. Let it chill out. Slowly pick it up with your hand and arm at the snakes eye level.

If it still doesn't like it, start from scratch put in a lot of time just getting it comfortable seeing you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    What's this 'confident grab' all about? Take it slow.
    The way I had the "confident grab" described to me was NOT as a "go in fast, and just grab it immediately", so much as when you DO reach to pick the snake up, to not reach in with shaky hands or repeatedly get 2 or 3 inches from them, then retreat and start over several times before picking them up. Doing it hesitantly gives them more anxiety about your intentions, more time to see you approach and retreat, and in some snakes gives them confidence that you're more fearful of them and potentially give them more courage to try and scare you away via biting. I find that too much time alerting a nervous snake especially that I'm there tends to create more anxiety and agitation.

I honestly don't do any of the touch and touch and touch, then slowwwwly pick them up for BPs or really any snakes. I found through experiment that this is a method far more likely to get me bit with my animals, even ones not prone to biting.

Generally I just give then a single light touch or stroke (about 2 or 3 seconds of time as long as I see a reaction, more if they don't respond at all) to the side to wake them up/gauge mood. Usually this gets them to expose their head so I can see if they're blue and if so I generally just leave them alone rather than handling. Then I just reach as sideways as possible(rather than above) and scoop from the direction they're not facing in one smooth motion. Not fast, just without shaking and jerking back like someone who is nervous of being bit might do if the snake moves.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-24-2019),Kenzieburgess (05-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Good point, pretends2bnormal, and hope I didn't misinterpret the OP's meaning of "confident grab"- but the snake obviously does anyway.

Personally, it depends what snake I'm dealing with, how I approach them. Because they don't all use their senses exactly the same...some recognize my scent perfectly
    if I blow air across my hand in their direction, but others relate to being gently touched or petted a few times. Many here prefer to use a hook to do this rather than risk
    a bite to the hand, & that's fine too...snakes learn the touch, by whatever means. Sometimes I flip my (long) hair over the edge of the cage for them to get my scent-
    that works too, as does dangling the shirt sleeve of a shirt you've worn, so they can recognize your scent, or the harmless touch of a non-predator.

Snakes have hides for a reason, so snatching them away suddenly startles & scares them; many times a snake won't object if you just slide your hand under the edge of
    the hide without lifting it up until you're touching & holding the snake from underneath, by which time they typically recognize you by touch. The scariest thing for a
    snake is when we approach them...they don't see well & don't "know" us visually, so they instinctively think "predator". It helps to remember that they need our cues of
    scent and/or touch, & once they learn to feel safe with us (being gently cuddled) it gets easier & easier.

The worst thing you can do is hold them firmly by the neck to prevent a bite, or to grab their tails...these are things predators do. You want to approach the way another
    snake might, by slightly & gently touching/stroking them mid-body. I've picked up large (harmless) wild snakes this way with no bites at all, because they realize they're
    not being attacked, even though they don't quite know what's going on. Holding too tightly sends the wrong signal too. The better we can imagine how a snake feels
    in any given circumstance, the more likely we are to just do the right things automatically. Whatever you do, realize that snakes don't like to be rushed...so if you're getting bit, you need to s-l-o-w- -d-o-w-n...to give the snake time to recognize you.

I'm not convinced that snakes really understand if we are "shaky" or "hesitant", any more than I think that they somehow "smell fear" as some people claim. I also don't
    think they are capable of manipulating us, I think they live "in the moment"...but of course, I've never been a snake (I don't think?) so it's just my guess, as good as any.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-24-2019 at 04:45 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (05-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post

Generally I just give then a single light touch or stroke (about 2 or 3 seconds of time as long as I see a reaction, more if they don't respond at all) to the side to wake them up/gauge mood. Usually this gets them to expose their head so I can see if they're blue and if so I generally just leave them alone rather than handling. Then I just reach as sideways as possible(rather than above) and scoop from the direction they're not facing in one smooth motion. Not fast, just without shaking and jerking back like someone who is nervous of being bit might do if the snake moves.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    This is generally how I do it as well. I usually go for one longer light touch, unless she is extra shy or crabby. I might give her a wake up poke and another touch before I scoop her up from the side.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast