Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,206

1 members and 3,205 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Tell us your funny reptile stories

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    This was some years back, when I lived in the desert: I got home from work one day, & my next door neighbor began shouting that if I didn't get this snake out of
    his yard he was gonna kill it, so of course I went right over (despite this guy being a creep) as I didn't doubt that he'd kill a snake. It had been very hot (about 110*
    for the last week) & after watering the small trees in his yard, he noticed a large gopher snake trying to survive by resting in the dampness under a tiny bit of shade.

I didn't take a hook, as I could see what it was before I went over. The poor serpent was stretched out (about 5.5') & I just lightly stroked her mid-body...she tried
    to shove me away but I persisted & she quickly decided I wasn't a predator & stopped all protest. I gently lifted her up to carry her home, which of course amazed
    my snake-hating neighbor: he leaned toward her for a better look & just then she hissed and LUNGED right at him! I thought he was gonna fall over, & as he
    quickly retreated to his house, I could hear him mumbling about me getting along with snakes... LOL

I put the snake in cool water in my bathtub for a while to recover, then she was my house-guest for a while before moving back out once the heat went down. She
    never tried to bite me. They know by how we touch them if we're a friend or foe.
    Desert snakes have such a hard life, truly. And apparently they also know a hostile jerk when they see one.
    That's so awesome that you were able to nurture the snake back to good health and able to release it. I like how the snake took a liking to you and hissed at your snake hating neighbor, I guess he doesn't realize that the snake gets rid of rodent problems and that they are actually good to have around. Also, just wondering, you called it a "she" did you pop it or just taking a guess and calling her a she just cuz?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    That's so awesome that you were able to nurture the snake back to good health and able to release it. I like how the snake took a liking to you and hissed at your snake hating neighbor, I guess he doesn't realize that the snake gets rid of rodent problems and that they are actually good to have around. Also, just wondering, you called it a "she" did you pop it or just taking a guess and calling her a she just cuz?
    You can't always reason with snake-haters...it's fear, usually, but most won't admit that, especially men. And you're right, it's better to have snakes around (that don't have any disease implications for us) than rodents that carry Hanta virus, etc. In the desert, pack-rats often chewed the wires in ppl's cars if they parked outside for long too.

Tail shape: it was an obvious "she". I've raised these & bull snakes before...she was a big healthy mama, just over-heated, & my "Western hospitality" included food too.

I still laugh about my neighbor's reaction- I didn't think the ol' guy could move that fast, but she scared him good. He lived alone (his wife had passed away, probably to get away from him? ) & he was always making off-color remarks to me if I was outside in my yard...so maybe the snake really was a mind-reader?
    I think one reason I like helping animals so much is that they seem to "know".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-24-2019 at 08:48 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (05-25-2019),Valyndris (05-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Tail shape: it was an obvious "she". I've raised these & bull snakes before...she was a big healthy mama, just over-heated, & my "Western hospitality" included food too.
    You are such an expert when it comes to snakes, I've only started to notice the tail shape in snakes but I'd never be able to make a proper guess on the gender by just looking at the tail. I only own one ball python, so the rest of my knowledge comes from either here or YouTube videos and a few articles I've read here and there.

Thanks
    One time my parents took my BP out into the living room to get some handling time in. I guess they looked away for just a second too long, because the snake stuck his head through one of my dad's belt loops and was soon trying to fit his whole body through. My parents ended up having to cut the belt loop because the snake was stuck! He wouldn't be able to fit most of his body through and pushing him backwards would've been a hassle for both involved parties. I only wish I had been there to watch it happen

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to royalreilly For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-24-2019),Luvyna (05-29-2019),Valyndris (05-24-2019)

Thanks

You are such an expert when it comes to snakes, I've only started to notice the tail shape in snakes but I'd never be able to make a proper guess on the gender by just looking at the tail. I only own one ball python, so the rest of my knowledge comes from either here or YouTube videos and a few articles I've read here and there.
    Honestly, some kinds of snakes are more obvious than others, while some I'd have to probe or pop. It comes down to having a chance to see more than one of a kind &
    several of a similar size or age to compare...then it makes some sense. I saw quite a few gopher snakes where I used to live, & then ended up having & raising a few too.
    I really wish they'd just wear pink or blue ribbons...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (05-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by royalreilly View Post
    One time my parents took my BP out into the living room to get some handling time in. I guess they looked away for just a second too long, because the snake stuck his head through one of my dad's belt loops and was soon trying to fit his whole body through. My parents ended up having to cut the belt loop because the snake was stuck! He wouldn't be able to fit most of his body through and pushing him backwards would've been a hassle for both involved parties. I only wish I had been there to watch it happen
    That's so cute, your little guy just wanted to be a belt. Ball pythons just seem to love getting themselves in places they just shouldn't be. lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by royalreilly View Post
    This exact thing happened to my husband, except he did manage to get himself fully through the belt loop instead of needing to cut it. He had gotten most of the way through before we got a picture of it. We has thought he had gone down his jacket and didn't realize he had made a detour into the belt loop.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-25-2019),Luvyna (05-29-2019),Valyndris (05-25-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

That's so cute, I never pictured a snake ever going for dog food lol
    Well Garters will eat just about anything

The diet consists of almost any creature they are capable of overpowering: slugs, earthworms , leeches, lizards, amphibians (including frog eggs), minnows, and rodents. When living near water, they will eat other aquatic animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (05-25-2019),Valyndris (05-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    This exact thing happened to my husband, except he did manage to get himself fully through the belt loop instead of needing to cut it. He had gotten most of the way through before we got a picture of it. We has thought he had gone down his jacket and didn't realize he had made a detour into the belt loop.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I've had rat snakes do this...one especially that remembered the belt loops on my jeans & made a beeline for them when I picked her up...I guess she liked the feeling
    of secure "toe-holds"? My Florida/yellow rat snakes are too big for belt loops, but it's not hard to get them to just snug themselves around my waist. (the males are
    about 7' long, so they can do this easily with length to spare)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (05-25-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Well Garters will eat just about anything

The diet consists of almost any creature they are capable of overpowering: slugs, earthworms , leeches, lizards, amphibians (including frog eggs), minnows, and rodents. When living near water, they will eat other aquatic animals.

Three sisters ..

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-25-2019),fadingdaylight (05-25-2019),Luvyna (05-29-2019),Valyndris (05-25-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast