Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,207

1 members and 3,206 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Striking, but not eating (and trying to eat wrong end first)

Hello all! Title kind of says it all, but I'll elaborate below...

So, I purchased my first BP, Piombi, on the 11th of this month at Taylor Reptile Expo. Has a nice long talk with the guy, seemed knowledgeable and said he swapped all his babies onto f/t before he sold them. Once I had solidly picked out my snake, I asked him what size rodent he was feeding, and he suggested large (that's regular adult, usually) mice and even pointed me to the seller at the expo he preferred. I purchased about two months worth of mice from that supplier and was on my way, messaging the breeder later on FB to get a copy of Piombi's card. While he was with the seller, the snake never missed a feeding, and was last fed on the 8th.

So, I get home and take my base measurements (Piombi weights 223g and ~60cm long), then I put Piombi in his tank and left him pretty much alone except for poo clean-up and water changes for the week. This Sunday, the 19th roles around and I decide to try a feeding, figuring that it fits best with my schedule for all my other pets to have Sunday night and Monday be the "No Snake" days. Piombi, of course, has zero interest that day, but whatever, BPs do that. I had him in a kind of minimal setup to start with while I quarantined him, but since he seems to be a perfectly healthy, happy animal I decide to risk putting a few more hides in his tank (we went from 2 regular and a moist to 4 regular and a moist) along with an ivy plant even though only 8 days of the usual 14 day quarantine have passed. That night, snake seems happy and active around his artificial "sunset" and seems to have decided that one of his new hides is the Best Thing Ever. Neat.

Monday comes and goes, I handle Piombi a bit in the evening, everything seems peachy-keen, and Tuesday I try feeding again in late evening (right after his lights turn off). This time Piombi is immediately interested in food, leaving his hide and striking the mouse pretty much instantly. Nice wrap around the mouse, from my experience with corn snakes, everything looks perfect, and I leave the room since young ball python is still skittish and I don't want to freak him out... Great, right?

Come back half an hour later and Piombi half in, half out of one of his hides and the mouse is just kinda sitting on the floor. Okay, pick it up and try again - immediate strike, great wrap, and instead of letting go right away this time I hold on to and wiggle the mouse a bit to make sure he's into it. Come back a half hour later and... You guessed it, same situation, only this time Piombi is next to the dead mouse looking as confused as I feel. Rinse and repeat...

I get two more perfect strikes and wraps, but this time I stay in the room and watch. Both times Piombi started trying to eat the rodent - essentially "chewing" on it - but give up before any substantial part of it was even past his maw. Like, he's not unhinging his jaw at all or anything. First time was head first, and unfortunately I think I coughed at an inopportune time, causing him to withdraw and drop the mouse, but the second time was butt-first and obviously the limbs and tail prevented him from making any progress eating.

Is my snake just stupid? Are the mouse I bought too big for him? Am I doing something wrong/Am I just stupid (since I just accused my snake I guess I should accuse myself too)? I'm not really worried at this point, since he weights about the same as he did previously and has only really missed one feeding, but I would really like to get something in my little boy since he's obviously hungry. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, I know I am making a mountain out of a mole hill but if it's something as simple as me popping down to the pet store for a hopper or two I'm gunna feel dumb not asking now.

Cheers,
    -Ellen
    About me: Recent graduate working at a research laboratory focusing on viral infection and protein folding. Keep many invertebrates, reptiles, and amphibians. Love getting and giving book recommendations. HUGE DnD and tabletop RPG nerd. Currently have one BP, a male YB Pastel het Clown, as well as about a dozen other species. Of note, Guacamole, my bearded dragon, is my ultimate scale-baby.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: Striking, but not eating (and trying to eat wrong end first)

Sometimes new snakes can take a while to get going. I wouldn't sweat one missed meal. Are your temps dialed in? I'd start there. If he started eating the mouse and then disengaged the feeder could be too big but a small mouse shouldn't be too large for a 223g BP. Do you have a pic of the snake you can share? I'd also suggest not handling the snake until he's eaten 2-3 times for you and only offer food every 10-14 days until he starts to eat consistently.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-23-2019),Craiga 01453 (05-23-2019),dr del (05-23-2019),Shayne (05-24-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    A few things stuck out to me...

1) hold off on handling untill your snake is eating. I highly suggest no handling until the snake has eaten three consecutive meals without refusal

2) wait at least 5 days between offering food. Offering too often can further stress the snake and lead to more refusals.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-23-2019),dr del (05-23-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Sometimes new snakes can take a while to get going. I wouldn't sweat one missed meal. Are your temps dialed in? I'd start there. If he started eating the mouse and then disengaged the feeder could be too big but a small mouse shouldn't be too large for a 223g BP. Do you have a pic of the snake you can share? I'd also suggest not handling the snake until he's eaten 2-3 times for you and only offer food every 10-14 days until he starts to eat consistently.
    I've heard as much and wasn't too worried. Yeah, temps are good, though I need to get a slightly better thermostat for the hot end - it bounces by about a degree above or below where I want it to be. Here's a pic while I was weighing him, let me know if you'd like me to get some other pics. :-)

Also, noted on the handling! I will lay off until he's taken a few meals. Thank you so much for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453
    A few things stuck out to me...

1) hold off on handling untill your snake is eating. I highly suggest no handling until the snake has eaten three consecutive meals without refusal

2) wait at least 5 days between offering food. Offering too often can further stress the snake and lead to more refusals.
    Hey, thanks for the info.
    About me: Recent graduate working at a research laboratory focusing on viral infection and protein folding. Keep many invertebrates, reptiles, and amphibians. Love getting and giving book recommendations. HUGE DnD and tabletop RPG nerd. Currently have one BP, a male YB Pastel het Clown, as well as about a dozen other species. Of note, Guacamole, my bearded dragon, is my ultimate scale-baby.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    As others said, plus, get some cough syrup.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    As others said, plus, get some cough syrup.
    LOL! Will do.