Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,794

0 members and 2,794 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: RI question.

Thanks

RI question.

How long does it take for the actual Respiratory Infection virus to die without a host?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I'm not sure, but it might also depend partly on what specific infection you're talking about. An RI is not caused by only one specific pathogen, and I do
    know that some "germs" live longer than others. Why do you ask?

Thanks

Re: RI question.

I have a rescue ball python with and RI that she’s currently getting over and she’s in a cage a bit to small for her and I’d like to move her out and move a smaller bp into the old one but I’m not about to risk this other bp just for a cage upgrade. Do you know any sure fire way to get rid of the virus in a room or tank?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    An RI can be bacterial, viral or fungal or even caused by parasites, and most cages have plenty of crevices. Before I'd re-use any cage occupied by a sick snake,
    I'd clean it multiple times inside & out, with several products (bleach solution, F10 or chlorhexidine, & rubbing alcohol) AFTER using soap & water to remove all debris,
    as the effectiveness varies & you don't seem to know what this snake has...and then I'd wait a while before using it anyway. That's just the cage itself, & this snake
    should be quarantined for months, & cleaning the actual room presents a whole different challenge as I assume the surfaces vary. To be honest, it's easier & safer to
    buy a new cage than to re-purpose one that was used for a sick snake...germs can be resistant, but I suppose it depends on the level you're keeping (pets versus
    business investment) as to what risk you're willing to take. I'm not making any assumptions, & personally I'd rather buy another cage.

Just for an example (from the world of human health): https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...side-the-body/

MRSA The staphylococcus aureus bacteria that cause MRSA infections can survive for days to weeks on surfaces. MRSA bacteria can live on surfaces for longer than some other bacteria and viruses because they survive better without moisture. Generally, MRSA bacteria survive for longer on hard surfaces than on soft surfaces.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-22-2019 at 11:19 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (05-23-2019),Peachylauren (05-23-2019)

Thanks

Sounds good. I will look into purchasing a separate tank. What should I do about the area around the tank? How should I go about cleaning the whole room?

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peachylauren View Post
    How should I go about cleaning the whole room?
    Assuming disinfection (not sterilization) is your goal. 70% IPA in a spray bottle. Spray everything-let it dry. Make sure you have good ventilation, no pets present, and no open flames...

https://www.hunker.com/12309315/what...l-alcohol-kill
    *.* TNTC

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-23-2019),Peachylauren (05-23-2019)