Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,817

2 members and 2,815 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Need help with Boa not eating for 7 months

Hi,

I have a 9 year old boa. He stopped eating 7 months ago in November.
    I also have a female boa. She is housed directly under his cage. She is 7 years old.

I do not have them for breeding purposes. They are pets. I don't weigh them so I do not know how much weight he has lost.

I recently came upon information that makes me think her scent is what is causing his hunger strike. I'm hoping more knowledgeable owners can help. Should I move him to another room?

The one change in his life is that I moved to a new place 15 months ago and he and the female were placed in bigger homes at that time. They now live in 4 ft x 2 ft cages by boaphile. But he didn't stop eating until 7 months after moving.

When I offer him food he looks at it and goes in the other direction. Could this be about the female?

There are some photos posted here that will hopefully help. I had him out in the yard a month ago and he passed several large clumps of white material. Is this what is known as a sperm plug? This has never happened before.

Then, tonight he passed what at first glance appear to be feces (keeping in mind hasn't eaten in 7 months) but upon closer inspection contains what appears to be layers of something and there are three or four drops of blood surrounding it in the cage.

I am very confused about what these things might mean, if anything.
    Sorry for the graphic pictures, I was hoping someone would be able to help by seeing them.

(Working on getting pictures onto thread....)

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by Heather38; 05-21-2019 at 11:34 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Heather38 For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (05-22-2019)

Thanks

Photos...

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Heather38; 05-21-2019 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I think it's very possible that your male is distracted by the female's scent, especially so nearby, and if he was my snake, I'd sure move him to a different room,
    just to see if it helps. That's a long time for a boa to fast. I'm sorry but I cannot tell you what all that stuff is in your photos, & I'd be a little concerned about
    the blood drops too. The first photo looks like just some urates, but with mucus. (& not like a sperm plug) He's a pretty boa, by the way. The female is eating?

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: Need help with Boa not eating for 7 months

Nice looking boa heather
    The second pic I'm sure are sperm plugs

My male did exactly the same thing, there's six females in my snake room he was roaming up and down the tank as if he wanted food but blatantly refused. Even sitting with his head on the rat when I went in a few hours later, almost like a protest,
    I would definitely take him to the vets and get him checked out,, that blood isn't right, just incase
    my 13 year old male ended up with a respiratory infection due to low immune system, so keep an eye out, he started eating a large rat every week for a month then went into shed and stopped again
    Good luck

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-22-2019)