Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,528

0 members and 3,528 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    If you're vermiculite or perlite or whatever substrate you're using is wet, you have them in a closed tub with no air holes, it is impossible for the humidity to not be near 99%. So if that is how you have it setup plus the press and seal, your humidity will be fine but you have to stop opening it, that's what's letting all the humidity out, close it and leave it. Then just be patient until they hatch.

If you have air holes or you're substrate is not damp, fix those issues and stop opening it and your humidity will go up and be fine.

Thanks

Re: I might be in trouble

Yes they definitely are too dry, I added more water to the perlite and raised the temperature to 90 I’m thinking more heat more humidity.

If I placed the egg box directly over the heat mat but put something between the egg box and heat mat so it’s not in direct contact with it would I be safe? This is just a thought that maybe the heat source isn’t close enough to produce enough humidity.

If I can make them last to day 50 and cut a small slit in the eggs so the hatchlings don’t get crushed would this benefit them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    If you're vermiculite or perlite or whatever substrate you're using is wet, you have them in a closed tub with no air holes, it is impossible for the humidity to not be near 99%. So if that is how you have it setup plus the press and seal, your humidity will be fine but you have to stop opening it, that's what's letting all the humidity out, close it and leave it. Then just be patient until they hatch.

If you have air holes or you're substrate is not damp, fix those issues and stop opening it and your humidity will go up and be fine.
    I haven’t opened the tub or incubator at all since they’ve been in there I decided to check the perlite to see if I need to add water and saw that the eggs weren’t looking too good. But hopefully they will be

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ballday View Post
    I haven’t opened the tub or incubator at all since they’ve been in there I decided to check the perlite to see if I need to add water and saw that the eggs weren’t looking too good. But hopefully they will be

If the tub was sealed then it wouldn't of lost humidity so that means it probably wasn't wet enough to begin with. If you added enough water to it and resealed it, that's really all you can do, the humidity will go up. I agree they could of been too dry but it is also possible they are getting close to hatching, they do start to deflate as they get closer to the hatch date but yours look a bit too much being that you still have a ways to go. If you added water to make sure they aren't going to dry out, then just seal it back up and wait it out. Good luck.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    That's great that you found something that works for you but I fail to see how a plastic light diffuser could have anything to do with your eggs going bad. It also isn't very helpful to say because if he removes the light diffuser it will have no impact at this time unless his mix isn't right and then removing the light diffuser will actually kill his eggs.
    Since well, just because.....
    If the mud is damp enough they will absorb moisture though the skin.
    Problem is that its too early for them to be that dry and the egg can harden to a point that cutting will be to only option to salvage any that make it to full term.
    They can start to mold and the move can also kill them or agitate them enough that they may tangle their cords.
    Its a gamble either way at this stage.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Ballday (06-18-2019),Bogertophis (06-18-2019),rufretic (06-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Since well, just because.....
    If the mud is damp enough they will absorb moisture though the skin.
    Problem is that its too early for them to be that dry and the egg can harden to a point that cutting will be to only option to salvage any that make it to full term.
    They can start to mold and the move can also kill them or agitate them enough that they may tangle their cords.
    Its a gamble either way at this stage.
    Are you suggesting to put them into damp substrate and cut the eggs?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I had a similar issue when I was away and my wife messed up the perilite to water ratio, I came back and my eggs started to deflate around 30 days or so. I placed a wet paper towel over them for a few days and it fixed the issue. After this mess I started using a light diffuser in my tubs and wet the heck out of the perilite. I have no air holes, arrange eggs to not touch the sides of the tub and press and seal tub before covering. Congrats on the clutch, always a nice bonus to buy a female that drops eggs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mdb730 For This Useful Post:

Ballday (06-18-2019)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ballday View Post
    Are you suggesting to put them into damp substrate and cut the eggs?

Not cutting now, NO!
    If it was my clutch, i would mix another tub of mud and put it in the bator next to that one for a day to come up to temp and move them. FYI, thats the gamble I would take, what you do is up to you.
    Last edited by PitOnTheProwl; 06-18-2019 at 01:47 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

dr del (06-21-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mdb730 View Post
    I had a similar issue when I was away and my wife messed up the perilite to water ratio, I came back and my eggs started to deflate around 30 days or so. I placed a wet paper towel over them for a few days and it fixed the issue. After this mess I started using a light diffuser in my tubs and wet the heck out of the perilite. I have no air holes, arrange eggs to not touch the sides of the tub and press and seal tub before covering. Congrats on the clutch, always a nice bonus to buy a female that drops eggs.
    Ok I’ll try the paper towel method, did you leave them in for the rest of the incubation period?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mdb730 View Post
    Ok I’ll try the paper towel method, did you leave them in for the rest of the incubation period?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast